Shift Guidelines for Shift Leader
From Hall D Ops Wiki
Run info logging
- Keep a list of the runs at the end of the shift summary log entry, eg https://logbooks.jlab.org/entry/3795057
- Keep the runs to 2h real-time at most. Calibrations drifts are noticeable after about 2h.
- Write run info into the DAQ run comments box at the start of the run and save it.
- Make sure that the paper list of runs is kept up to date.
- Half-way through each run, post the rootspy monitoring histograms to the logbook and reset them. Post the new plots at the end of the run.
- Make a screenshot of the GlueX overview CSS logentry mid-shift.
- Remind the shift worker to complete the shift checklist.
- Watch the beam monitoring stripcharts, currently using beam_instability_monitoring configuration, & post to the logbook at the end of the shift
- New, maybe temporary: if PS coincidence rates drop by 30% or more, do harp scans (MCC & ours)
Time to call expert
- Expert or RC should be called after 10-15 min of attempting to solve a problem.
- Each time the amorphous radiator is inserted, make a new AMO reference with beam on. See "Setting Amorphous Reference."
- Each time the diamond radiator is inserted or its orientation changed, use the nudge buttons to obtain the desired coherent edge fit value, save the new configurations as instructed in " Adjusting the peak positions" and make a screenshot logentry of the cobrems gui.
- When acknowledging alarms for mechanical and DIRC, acknowledge them at the lowest level of the tree. This is to avoid sending 'OK' messages to the on-call phones for all the branches of the tree which were not alarming.
- Make separate logbook entries for worrying alarms & contact experts as needed.
- We keep a list of requests for opportunistic access on the whiteboard. We also have to keep a list of who is actually in the hall during accesses.