GlueX Containers Meeting, April 13, 2018
GlueX Containers Meeting
Friday, April 13, 2018
11:30 am EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center A110
BlueJeans: 968 592 007
Present: Richard Jones, Mark Ito, Thomas Britton, Sean Dobbs, Zisis Papandreou
- At Sean's suggestion, Mark wrote a HOWTO on...well...how to use the current GlueX Singularity container to access recent builds of the software without having to do the build.
- The current version assumes no CVMFS partition on the local node, despite this being the recommended method of accessing the software...patience y'all!
- Mark will note that the location of "/group/halld" on Oasis is /cvmfs/oasis.opensciencegrid.org/gluex/group/halld in a future version of the HOWTO.
- There are two versions of the container at present:
- for when CVMFS is present (i. e., /cvmfs/singularity.opensciencegrid.org/markito3/gluex_docker_devel:latest)
- for when CVMFS is not there
- This was only necessary because we have been invoking OSG jobs in the mode where the user is automatically placed in the container. If we invoke the container by hand, the bind option can be controlled and two containers are no longer necessary. Mark and Thomas will work on this.
- Mark has started looking at XROOTD
- building from source directly from a clone of the GitHub repository
- documentation on main site is a bit obtuse; pointers to beginner-level docs appreciated
- The MC Thomas generated last week on the OSG using the GlueX Singularity container has been used to demonstrate that the rate dependence of reconstruction efficiency seen in the simulation roughly matches that seen in the data.
- Thomas is gearing up to start a major bggen campaign on the OSG.
- Requested by the MIT group for their B boson analysis.
- Statistics to match 50% of the golden period of 2016.
- Will ship random triggers along with each job using the Condor mechanism. If this proves to be a bottleneck, we can explore using Richard's XROOTD servers at UConn for this purpose.
- Richard noted that statistics on the project would be interesting, e. g. the number of OSG CPU hours consumed per unit time as a function of time.
- Action items:
- cvmfs bind instructions
- go to self-serve singularity launch on OSG
- fix issue on ifarm with singularity