HDGeant4 Meeting, June 16, 2020
Tuesday, June 16, 2020
3:00 pm EDT
BlueJeans: 968 592 007
- Review of minutes from the last Meeting (all)
- Issues on GitHub
- Pull Requests on GitHub
- Action Item Review
- preparations to advance to latest Geant4 release G4.10.06
- 20% reduction in cpu time from recent fix to tracking
- investigation of the multi-threaded bcal photon gun anomaly
- investigation of the backward kaon efficiency step at 120 degrees
- new HDGeant4 branch "bcal_nolight_heavy_rtj" for suppressing scintillation by heavy particles in the bcal
- yet to come - investigation of the 12% drop in preselection efficiency with CUTS card seen by George in etaprime,p
Present: Sean Dobbs, Sergey Furletov, Colin Gleason, Mark Ito (chair), Igal Jaegle, Naomi Jarvis, Richard Jones, Susan Schadmand, Simon Taylor, Nilanga Wickramaarachchi, Beni Zihlmann
There is a recording of this meeting on the BlueJeans site. Use your JLab credentials to get access.
Review of minutes from the last Meeting
We went over the minutes from June 2.
- Issue #152: BCAL Photon Gun Updates. This issue has been closed.
- Issue #149: BCAL structure in E/p distributions for kaons. This issue has been closed.
- Issue #143: BCAL reconstructed energy sometimes broken on startup: multicore only. Richard has been able to reproduce the problem of significantly different BCAL energy distributions on repeated runs of HDGeant4 with a 2 GeV photon particle gun at 60 degrees. This appears to only happen when hdgeant4 is run in multi-threaded mode. We generally build hdgeant4 against a multi-threaded build of Geant4, but even so, single-threaded mode for hdgeant4 seems not to be a problem. Richard noted that our running on the OSG is always single-threaded. Now that he can reproduced the problem, he will turn to its solution.
- Issue #111: Difference in Acceptance between G3 and G4. Richard has produced a branch, bcal_nolight_heavy_rtj, where anything heavier than a proton will not produce visible energy. Colin will repeat the studies he presented last time with this branch and compare.
- Issue #93: Calorimeter timing mismatch between g3 and g4. This issue still needs to be closed and linked to Issue #111.
Richard's Action Item Review
- Richard encouraged us to get started on preparations to advance to latest Geant4 release G4.10.06. Mark will build a version set, based on this release, and let Sean et al. know so they can do some comparative studies before we unleash the new release on the collaboration.
- Richard has discovered 20% reduction in cpu time from killing particles that go beyond the walls, floor, and ceiling of the Hall in the simulation.
- Investigation of the multi-threaded bcal photon gun anomaly, discussed above.
- Investigation of the backward kaon efficiency step at 120 degrees. There has been some progress on halld_recon Issue #378. See the issue for details.
- New HDGeant4 branch "bcal_nolight_heavy_rtj" for suppressing scintillation by heavy particles in the bcal, discussed above.
- "Yet to come": investigation of the 12% drop in preselection efficiency with CUTS card seen by George in etaprime,p
Action Item Review
- Build a version set with Geant4 10.06.04.
- Merge issue #93 with #111.