Difference between revisions of "Π polarizability Meeting Dec 15, 2021"

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Minutes)
(Minutes)
Line 93: Line 93:
 
##* Proposal is to take raw data with a random trigger at 140 nA (SRC nominal) and 50 nA (approx CPP intensity).
 
##* Proposal is to take raw data with a random trigger at 140 nA (SRC nominal) and 50 nA (approx CPP intensity).
 
# Software/Calibration for CPP (David, Alex and Sean)
 
# Software/Calibration for CPP (David, Alex and Sean)
 +
## DAQ Configuration (Sergey)
 +
##* Sergey found a ROC, which he will configure with the same ROCid as the one we used in the single-MWPC chamber beam test. This will simplify the configuration
 +
##* Note: The TRD program is developing a self trigger capability for the F125. It is not yet operational, but may be useful to CPP for testing and development.
 +
##* Sergey inquired about the schedule for installation of MWPCs in Hall D. Elton: Tim has indicated that the move will likely happen end of Jan/beg of Feb.
 
# PID + AI
 
# PID + AI
 
#* Data for AI (Andrew)
 
#* Data for AI (Andrew)
 +
#* David has requested files with generated events so that they can push them through simulation. Therefore the files generated so far should be fine since the CPP geometry is not needed.
 
# [[CPP and NPP Readiness Review]]
 
# [[CPP and NPP Readiness Review]]
# MWPC Testing  
+
# MWPC Testing (Rory)
 
#* [https://logbooks.jlab.org/book/hdfmwpc FMWPC Log Book]
 
#* [https://logbooks.jlab.org/book/hdfmwpc FMWPC Log Book]
 +
#* Rory has been here since Monday investigating the electronic noise in Frodo and Galadriel. They are being compared to Arwen that is one of the six quiet chambers.
 +
#* At the moment only Galadriel has been checked and compared to Arwen.
 +
#* The noise is being probed with an oscilloscope and the difference in noise levels is visible.
 +
#* Suspicion is that noise is the culprit. Plan is to focus on grounding, especially banana plugs.
 +
#* Discoveries so far:
 +
#** Covering cutouts in the shield with Al tape does reduce noise. We should see if this can be done for the MWPCs in the experiment.
 +
#** Only one LV connection needs to be plugged to see the noise (there are two LV inputs to the two halves of the MWPC)
 +
#** Used an infrared probe to check temperature changes after running the electronics for about 2 hours. See a 2 degC increase in temperature relative to the frame, which is a heat sink. This means that cooling of the electronics is probably unnecessary. However, we may still wish to flow dry N2 to keep the enclosures dry.
 +
#* Tomorrow they will exchange Galadriel for Frodo and see if there are any visible differences between the two noisy chambers.
 +
#* Elton: Asked about fixing a bad wire (in Galadriel?). Rory: This is difficult and we would delay any decision to do this.
 
# [[CPP and NPP Experiment Configuration]]
 
# [[CPP and NPP Experiment Configuration]]
 
# Electronic Configuration (Beni)
 
# Electronic Configuration (Beni)
 
# hdgeant4 updates (Mark)
 
# hdgeant4 updates (Mark)
 
# Software consolidation (Simon)
 
# Software consolidation (Simon)
 +
#* Simon has made pull requests for halld_sim (merged) and hdgeant4 (waiting on Richard).
 +
#* Elton: Should probably make a pull request for hdds, so that all the files are in the master branch. Note: Operationally this is not necessary since the geometry information is pulled from CCDB and Elton updated the data base with the files last week.
 
# GlueX Data Analysis
 
# GlueX Data Analysis
 
# CPP Simulations
 
# CPP Simulations
 
#* [https://logbooks.jlab.org/entry/3959095 Log Entry 3959095] (Elton)
 
#* [https://logbooks.jlab.org/entry/3959095 Log Entry 3959095] (Elton)
 +
#* Files with pi+pi- events show loss of intensity as the showers propagate through the iron.
 +
#* Some trouble was found with the FMWPC_online plugin and Elton will work with Alex to fix the issues.
 
# Other business
 
# Other business
 
# Next meeting
 
# Next meeting

Revision as of 17:26, 15 December 2021

Meeting Time And Location

09:30 EST (JLab time) Weekly Meeting

REMOTE during Covid-19

Connecting

You can connect using BlueJeans Video conferencing (ID: 949 429 419). (Click "Expand" to the right for details -->):

  1. Make sure you have created a BlueJeans account via your JLab CUE account using this link:

  2. Meeting ID: 949 429 419
    • (you may need to type this in, depending how you connect)

  3. If connecting via Web Browser: click this link (no passcode is needed):

  4. If connecting via iOS or Android App:
    • Use your JLab e-mail address to log in and then enter the meeting ID given above to join the meeting

  5. If connecting via Phone: Dial one of the following numbers and then enter the meeting ID above and hit "#" or "##"

  6. If connecting via Polycom unit:
    • Dial 199.48.152.152 or bjn.vc
    • Enter meeting ID above



Action Items

  1. Generate MC samples of pi+pi- (Elton and Andrew)
  2. Organize trigger test meeting (Eugene) See discussion today
  3. Develop schedule for trigger test (Ilya) See discussion today
  4. Push branch changes to hdgeant4, halld_sim and hdds to master (Simon) Pushed halld_sim (merged), hdgeant4 (waiting for Richard), hdds will be pushed shortly.

Preliminary Agenda

  1. Previous CPP meeting: Dec 8, 2021
  2. Announcements
    • Current experimental run is extended till Monday Dec 20. SRC experiment replaced C target with LD2 yesterday.
    • Bluejeans being phased out between now and end of January. New system will be ZOOM.
  3. Action Items
  4. CPP-NPP trigger
  5. Software/Calibration for CPP (David, Alex and Sean)
  6. PID + AI
    • Data for AI (Andrew)
  7. CPP and NPP Readiness Review
  8. MWPC Testing
  9. CPP and NPP Experiment Configuration
  10. Electronic Configuration (Beni)
  11. hdgeant4 updates (Mark)
  12. Software consolidation (Simon)
  13. GlueX Data Analysis
  14. CPP Simulations
  15. Other business
  16. Next meeting

Minutes

Attending: Alex, Andrew, David H, David L, Ebode, Elton, Eugene, Ilya, Mark, Nikhil, Rory, Sasha, Sergey Simon

  1. Previous CPP meeting: Dec 8, 2021
  2. Announcements
    • Current experimental run is extended till Monday Dec 20. SRC experiment replaced C target with LD2 yesterday.
    • Bluejeans being phased out between now and end of January. New system will be ZOOM.
  3. Action Items
  4. CPP-NPP trigger
    1. Proposal (Sasha and Sergey)
      • Firmware for TOF trigger not yet installed in Hall D.
      • Sergey: Downloading, checking and testing for the first time can take time, and can possibly lead to unexpected problems. Best to use beam time for data taking. Should have time with testing with playback before beam time is used.
      • Suggest to take raw data with random trigger and analyze later by emulating trigger. The raw waveforms in the data can be used effectively to study the trigger performance using the "playback" mode.
      • Random trigger rate would be about 3 kHz.
      • Current target is 30 cm of LD2. Rad. len = 745 cm. Interaction length = 307 cm. -> Target is 4% rad.len. and 10% inter. lengths.
      • Note: CPP target is 5% rad. len. of Pb.
      • Ilya: Should take data at low beam currents expected for CPP
      • TOF Trigger files can be downloaded in Jan. Will need to keep detectors powered so that they can easily be brought back for testing
      • Ilya: What about adjusting the timing between the TOF (CPP) and calorimeter triggers (NPP)? Sasha: This takes several hours, but is a standard procedure that must be done at commissioning with the final firmware in place.
      • Eugene: With a TOF window of 80 samples (320 ns), a 2 hour data run (at 50% efficiency) provides about 3 s of live data.
      • Proposal is to take raw data with a random trigger at 140 nA (SRC nominal) and 50 nA (approx CPP intensity).
  5. Software/Calibration for CPP (David, Alex and Sean)
    1. DAQ Configuration (Sergey)
      • Sergey found a ROC, which he will configure with the same ROCid as the one we used in the single-MWPC chamber beam test. This will simplify the configuration
      • Note: The TRD program is developing a self trigger capability for the F125. It is not yet operational, but may be useful to CPP for testing and development.
      • Sergey inquired about the schedule for installation of MWPCs in Hall D. Elton: Tim has indicated that the move will likely happen end of Jan/beg of Feb.
  6. PID + AI
    • Data for AI (Andrew)
    • David has requested files with generated events so that they can push them through simulation. Therefore the files generated so far should be fine since the CPP geometry is not needed.
  7. CPP and NPP Readiness Review
  8. MWPC Testing (Rory)
    • FMWPC Log Book
    • Rory has been here since Monday investigating the electronic noise in Frodo and Galadriel. They are being compared to Arwen that is one of the six quiet chambers.
    • At the moment only Galadriel has been checked and compared to Arwen.
    • The noise is being probed with an oscilloscope and the difference in noise levels is visible.
    • Suspicion is that noise is the culprit. Plan is to focus on grounding, especially banana plugs.
    • Discoveries so far:
      • Covering cutouts in the shield with Al tape does reduce noise. We should see if this can be done for the MWPCs in the experiment.
      • Only one LV connection needs to be plugged to see the noise (there are two LV inputs to the two halves of the MWPC)
      • Used an infrared probe to check temperature changes after running the electronics for about 2 hours. See a 2 degC increase in temperature relative to the frame, which is a heat sink. This means that cooling of the electronics is probably unnecessary. However, we may still wish to flow dry N2 to keep the enclosures dry.
    • Tomorrow they will exchange Galadriel for Frodo and see if there are any visible differences between the two noisy chambers.
    • Elton: Asked about fixing a bad wire (in Galadriel?). Rory: This is difficult and we would delay any decision to do this.
  9. CPP and NPP Experiment Configuration
  10. Electronic Configuration (Beni)
  11. hdgeant4 updates (Mark)
  12. Software consolidation (Simon)
    • Simon has made pull requests for halld_sim (merged) and hdgeant4 (waiting on Richard).
    • Elton: Should probably make a pull request for hdds, so that all the files are in the master branch. Note: Operationally this is not necessary since the geometry information is pulled from CCDB and Elton updated the data base with the files last week.
  13. GlueX Data Analysis
  14. CPP Simulations
    • Log Entry 3959095 (Elton)
    • Files with pi+pi- events show loss of intensity as the showers propagate through the iron.
    • Some trouble was found with the FMWPC_online plugin and Elton will work with Alex to fix the issues.
  15. Other business
  16. Next meeting