2011 Hall B FCAL Beam Test
2011 Hall B FCAL Beam Test
Test out 25 FCAL modules using Hall B electron beam.
- 2011/11/19 (Sat) beam start
- 11/19/2011 (Sat) 11/20/2011 (Sun) COMMISSIONING
- 11/21/2011 (Mon) 12/04/2011 (Sun) 4446 4 Lin 14
- 12/05/2011 (Mon) 12/18/2011 (Sun) 4446 4 Lin 14
- 12/19/2011 (Mon) 12/21/2011 (Wed) 4446 4 Lin 3
- 12/22/2011 (Thu) 01/03/2012 (Tue) WINTER DOWN
- 01/04/2012 (Wed) 01/13/2012 (Fri) 2528 3 Cir 10 special Hall A Ee
- 01/14/2012 (Sat) 01/24/2012 (Tue) 2254 2 Cir 11
- 01/25/2012 (Wed) 01/26/2012 (Thu) 4446 4 Lin 2 special Hall A
- 01/27/2012 (Fri) 02/10/2012 (Fri) 2254 2 Cir 15
- 02/11/2012 (Sat) 02/24/2012 (Fri) 5542 5 Lin 14
- 02/25/2012 (Sat) 03/09/2012 (Fri) 5542 5 Lin 14
- 03/10/2012 (Sat) 03/23/2012 (Fri) 5542 5 Lin 14
- 03/24/2012 (Sat) 04/06/2012 (Fri) 5542 5 Lin 14
- 04/07/2012 (Sat) 04/14/2012 (Sat) 4446 4 Lin 8
- 04/15/2012 (Sun) 04/16/2012 (Mon) EXCHANGE TARGET, NO BEAM
- 04/17/2012 (Tue) 04/18/2012 (Wed) 4446 4 Lin 2
- 04/19/2012 (Thu) 04/20/2012 (Fri) 4446 4 Lin 2
- 04/21/2012 (Sat) 04/22/2012 (Sun) 4446 4 Lin 2
- 04/23/2012 (Mon) 04/24/2012 (Tue) 5542 5 Lin 2
- 04/25/2012 (Wed) 04/26/2012 (Thu) 5542 5 Lin 2
- 04/27/2012 (Fri) 04/28/2012 (Sat) 5542 5 Lin 2
- 04/29/2012 (Sun) 04/30/2012 (Mon) 5542 5 Lin 2
- 05/01/2012 (Tue) 05/04/2012 (Fri) 2254 2 Cir 4
- 05/05/2012 (Sat) 05/09/2012 (Wed) INSTALL RASTER, SET BEAMLINE, NO BEAM
- 05/10/2012 (Thu) 05/17/2012 (Thu) 2254 2 Lin 8 e+ HD performance tests
- 05/17/2012 (Thu) Start of 12 GEV SHUTDOWN
- Target date to finish construction - 11/02/2011 (Wed)
- Drive from IU to JLab for installation - 11/08/2011 (Tue)~
Pictures of setup to hold detector and trigger scintillators. Built by John Frye and the machine shop at IU, and shown here:FCAL Beamtest Setup Pictures
- Have put together NIM modules at IU, no need to borrow any NIM modules
- Have tested inputs/outputs, all units working
- Output widths of all NIM modules with adjustable widths set to 50 ns. As long as the rate of electrons coming in is less than 20 MHz,
we should be fine (the total rate on the CLAS tagger should be on this order).
- All thresholds on discriminators have been adjusted to 50 mV.
- List of electronics to be used, from left to right (links are to Fermilab):
- Phillips 726 ECL/NIM/TTL Translator - final translation of NIM signal to TTL for input into fADC
- LeCroy 465 Triple 4-Fold Logic Unit (I) - AND of remote trigger and 3 horizontal signals
- LeCroy 465 Triple 4-Fold Logic Unit (II) - AND of remote trigger and 3 vertical signals
- Phillips 755 Quad 4-Fold Logic Unit - AND of remote trigger and 4 outside VETO counters
- LeCroy 429A Logic Fan-In/Out (I) - FAN-OUT of remote trigger into 10 channels for coincidence with trigger modules. The front panel switch should be set to "1x16" so that the output of the discriminated remote trigger is fanned out into all 16 OUTs.
- LeCroy 365AL Dual 4-Fold Logic - Final AND to output trigger signal. Pins should be set to OFF for channels "C" and "D", and the coincidence level should be set at "1". The inputs into the AND will be
- the 3-way OR signal of the horizontal bars
- the 3-way OR signal of the vertical bars
- the 4-way OR signal of the VETO counters should be put in VETO
- LeCroy 825E Risetime-Compensated Discriminator (I) - discriminator for 3 horizontal trigger signals
- LeCroy 825E Risetime-Compensated Discriminator (II) - discriminator for 3 vertical trigger signals
- LeCroy 621L Quad Discriminator - discriminator for 4 outside VETO counters
- LeCroy 429A Logic Fan-In/Out (II) - Use top channel for OR of 4 VETO counter signals. This will then go into the VETO signal in the LeCroy 365AL Dual 4-Fold Logic. The middle and bottom channels should be used as the 3-way OR of the horizontal and vertical trigger signals, respectively. The front panel switch should be set to "4x4" so that the 3 channels are all independent of each other. Note that for simplicity of electronics, we take the OR of the 4 outside VETO counters, and input them as the VETO into the final trigger signal.
- Summary of electronics and spares available at IU:
- 2 LeCroy 429A Fan-outs - 1 spare at IU
- 2 LeCroy 825E Discriminators (3 and 4 channels) - 2 spares available at IU, also LeCroy 623B Octal Discriminator, with 7 working channels at IU, also 1 EG&G T122/NL discriminator with 4 channels available at IU
- 1 LRS 621L Discriminator (4 channels) - 1 spare 621BL with 1 broken channel at IU
- 1 Phillips 726 Level Translator - 1 spare available at IU
- 1 Phillips 755 Logic Unit (need 4 2-way ANDs channels)
- 2 LeCroy 465 Coincidence Units (need 3 channels of 2-way ANDs on each, 6 total) - 1 spare available at IU, 1 channel needs output to be less than 100 ns.
- 1 LRS 365AL Logic Unit (2-way OR + VETO for final trigger) - (using only 1 channel, other channel is free)
- The difference between the two figures seems to stem from the scintillating fibres having
directional dependence on the incoming electrons. Without any veto on the incoming electron direction, it seems we will be saturated with scattered electrons.
- Also note that these measurements were done near the end of the beam, where there is
lots of scattering as the main beam exits the vacuum.
Gains for each PMT/base combination have been tested. We placed two trigger paddles on top of each other, and varied the HV on the one we are testing, while keeping the other held at 1700 V. The coincidence rates for cosmic rays were taken, and plotted against HV. The figures are here:Gain Adjustments, with a table of HV values.
- Proposal Document on GlueX docDB (contains 1 page executive summary)
- Kei Moriya Talk at GlueX Collaboration Meeting 2011 October@JLab
- Hall B HD-ICE webpage
- Hall B HD-ICE wiki, with link to run schedule
Personnel Available for Datataking
- Kei Moriya (time centered around November 7th not available due to birth of child)