Controls Meeting 9-Feb-2012
- Minutes from previous meeting 26-Jan-2012
- Meeting with Accelerator and halls - Hovanes, Elliott
- Counting house installation, power, UPS power, etc. - Hovanes, Elliott
- Equipment orders - Mark, others
- Solenoid_Controls_Redesign - Mark, Josh, Scot, Yi, Elliott
- QD, shunt, ground fault detector, racks, UPS power to racks
- coil inductances, schematics, etc. - Scot
- fast/slow DAQ integration, Labview licenses - Yi, Elliott
- Experiment Control Supervisor - Vardan, Hovanes, Elliott
- EPICS - Hovanes, Nerses
- archiver, alarm system, scalers
- Test stand - Hovanes, Josh
- Target, goniometer, other new systems - Hovanes, Elliott
- PLC programming - Josh
- A-B class, program redesign, new features, new computer
- Elogs and databases - Elliott
- Midas elog
- Operator elog
- inventory database - IRMIS, CLAS, other?
- Mantis task tracker
9:30 AM Thurs 9-Feb-2012 CC L207
9:30am 23-Feb-2012 CC L207
Present: Elliott W, Mark S, Scot S, Josh B.
We discussed Chris Keith's note concerning UPS power and controllers he plans to use. The refrigerator takes way too much power to put on the UPS, and the target would warm up slowly anyway. He wants the monitoring devices on UPS power but they don't use much. One concern is that when possible he should use devices compatible with what we already have.
The UPS needs 480V run from the utility room to the Rack Room. It is not clear whether we need to run UPS power to the hall, we might just use spot UPS's. It all depends on the total UPS load in the hall, the cost of small UPS's, and the cost of running power down and installing a panel.
Meeting with Accelerator Division
Hovanes and Elliott and folks from the other halls met with Accelerator folks concerning how they could help us. Each hall gave a short presentation. Items of mutual interest with Hall D were: interfacing their MyA archiver to CSS/Databrowser, the EPICS graphical framework we plan to use; a backup/restore system; upgrading the Accelerator elog to meet requirements from the four halls; CA gateways; PC104 management; probably others. Unlike the other halls, who plan to turn their EPICS devices over to Accelerator to manage, we will manage our control system by ourselves and only require consulting from them (plus software packages if they are useful)
Hovanes wants to use managed 3-phase 208 power strips on the racks. These are great, but expensive ($1000 or more!). Not sure if we can afford them.
Solenoid Breakout Box
George wants this, and it is a complicated device for four coils. We need design, documention and construction time.
We also need somene to design and draw the SOE system, purchase the components and build the system.
Josh has started thinking about how to redesign the program. He will go over the existing program for inspiration.
NI Device and Pickup Coils
There will be two pickup coils per soleniod coil, 4 x 2 = 8 pickup coils total. These will be read out by the NI device. We also agreed that the vapor-cooled lead Newport analog output will be routed to the NI device. Josh noted that we need to read all the coil taps out from the same device to ensure timing coherency.