Dec 18, 2014 Calorimetry

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 14:39, 18 December 2014 by Elton (Talk | contribs) (Minutes)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Video Conferencing Information

Meeting Time: 11:00 a.m.

  1. To join via a Web Browser, go to the page [1]
  2. To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: ( and enter the meeting ID: 907185247.
  3. To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 907185247.
    • US or Canada: +1 408 740 7256 or
    • US or Canada: +1 888 240 2560
  4. Upon connection all microphones are automatically muted. To unmute your mike on a Polycom or equivalent unit, enter *4. Unmuting on a computer is trivial as there is a microphone button than can be clicked.
  5. More information on connecting to bluejeans is available.

Participant Direct Lines

  • JLab Phone: in CC F326 is 757-269-6460 (usual room)
  • JLab Phone in CC L207 is 757-269-7084
  • Phone in the Regina Video-conference Suite is 306-585-4204
  • Athens Phone: in Christina's office is 011-30-210-727-6947

Action Items

  1. Check into procedure for new MOUs (Elton) Loan to UofR is being discontinued. Foreign MOUs are difficult to process, but domestic MOUs are moving forward
  2. Provide initial calibration constants from cosmics for data base (Andrei) Andrei provided the table of gain constants and Mark has included them into CCDB.


Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Action Items
  3. FCAL HDFCAL log book
    1. FCAL VESDA system
    2. Pulser electronics
  4. BCAL HDBCAL log book
    1. Fixes during down time (TDC, humidity)
  5. Reconstruction and Simulation
  6. Calibration
  7. Any other business


Attendees: Elton, Adesh, Manuel, Will, Mark (JLab); Zisis, Andrei (UofR); Matt (IU)

  1. Announcements
    • Kudos to everyone for achievements for this year, especially getting to the point of producing pi0 peaks in both the FCAL and BCAL data!
  2. Action Items
  3. FCAL HDFCAL log book
    1. Updates (Manuel and Adesh)
      • Readout threshold has been increased for FCAL data from 105 to 108 to eliminate double peaking in the timing plots showed by Sergey yesterday
      • Analysis of better pedestal analysis is underway
      • Manuel will work on the HV GUIs over the break. They are considering the best way of implementing feedback.
    2. FCAL VESDA system
      • Tom and his crew are proceeding on preparations of the VESDA into the FCAL darkroom. No installation will occur till next year
      • We need to communicate with Dave Kausch on the actual implementation as well as inputs of the fire alarm into the FCAL interlock system
    3. Pulser electronics
      • The VME pulser electronics was not working and we did not have time to debug it. We need to figure out what the problem was so that the NIM electronics can be cleaned up. If needed we can get help from Hovanes and Ben on the programming of the VME logic board.
    4. Noise in the FCAL
      • Need to understand the origin of the slow oscillations at about 10 MHz. This was seen earlier and recorded by Fernando at the Feb collaboration meeting. This noise is the source of pedestal instabilities.
      • Find that this noise is present with and without beam.
      • A possibility that the source is due to noise produced by the CAN bus during interrogation of bases for information. Could take data at low threshold after disabling slow-control access to bases.
      • Will work with Fernando and Hovanes to understand source and attempt fixes in January.
    5. Pi0 reconstruction
      • Matt is working on producing a skim for John Zarling to use in the pi0 calibration procedure.
      • Note that non-linear software corrections for the FCAL energies have been turned off until finer refinements of resolution are needed.
      • Recent data with lower readout thresholds results in a pi0 peak similar to higher thresholds but contributes to data volume
      • Looking into simple selection cuts to obtain clean pi0 peak: cut on invariant mass of all clusters > ~ 0.5 GeV (eliminates 2 cluster events), cut on the number of clusters. Note: Will showed that cutting on the number of clusters was an effective way of obtaining a clean pi0 sample.
  4. BCAL HDBCAL log book
    1. Analysis update (Mark)
      • New calibration constants have been entered into the data base. Will is currently running over the data files to check position and width of peak.
      • Measured attenuation lengths will be loaded into the CCDB
      • Problem found that a change in software (related to a change in the target position) results in shifts of the local position determined by the BCAL data. Mark will remove this artificial dependence
      • (Adesh) Matt found a similar problem in the FCAL and fixed it. Matt: "bug" was due to DFCAL-cluster positions being given relative to the target position (instead of lab coordinates). Fix required change in FCAL online monitoring plugin and personal files.
      • Will and Mark will check Will's code into svn for access by others and for backup this afternoon.
    2. Fixes during down time (TDC, humidity)
  5. Reconstruction and Simulation
  6. Calibration
  7. Any other business
    1. Data taking when beam goes off on Sunday
      • Preference to have magnet on at 1200 A, but not necessary
      • BCAL trigger to be used if all data can be taken at once. One may investigate enriching the sample using the start counter in the trigger if there is significant dead time.
    2. Access to data
      • Andrei reminded us that Mark promised to provide instructions/scripts to run to produce root files, and scripts for determination of pedestals.