GlueX Analysis Workshop 2013
The purpose of this tutorial/workshop session will be to give an introduction to using the Hall-D analysis tools. It is open to anyone either inside or outside the GlueX collaboration who has an interest in doing physics inside Hall-D. The tutorial will cover the basics of:
- Physics Analysis Framework
- Using Boosted Decision Trees
- Amplitude Analysis using AmpTools
The tutorial will consist of a series of talks with exercises, along with room for questions/discussion.
Location and Time
The tutorial will take place:
DATE: July. 10-11, 2013
TIME: 8:30am to 5:30pm EDT (i.e. JLab time).
LOCATION: CEBAF Center L102 - L104
Registration & Requirements
- Registration Page
- All attendees are required to bring their own laptop to the workshop.
- It must have enough memory (4+ GB RAM preferred) and free hard disk space (~15+ GB) to run a virtual machine, which will be distributed at the workshop.
- It must have VirtualBox installed (v4.2.14 or later): Download VirtualBox
- If you are attending remotely, instructions for obtaining the virtual machine image are below.
To connect from the outside by phone please do the following
1.) ESNET: 8542553
2.) Polycom RealPrescence App for iOS and Android. Call firstname.lastname@example.org
Dial +1-866-740-1260 : US and Canada
Dial +1-303-248-0285 : International
Then use participant code: 3421244# (the # is needed when using the phone) or www.readytalk.com then type access code 3421244 into "join a meeting" (you need java plugin)
4.) Desktop Sharing
You can view the computer desktop in the meeting room at JLab via the web.
- Go to http://esnet.readytalk.com
- In the "join a meeting" box enter the Hall D code: 3421244
- Fill in the participant registration form.
5.) As of January 1, 2013 EVO became SeeVogh and Jefferson Lab has a contract to use it.
To connect via SeeVogh, vist their website at research.seevogh.com. Your old EVO credentials are supposed to work. There will be a room booked for the meeting. To phone into an EVO meeting, from the U.S. call (626) 395-2112 and then enter the EVO meeting code. Instructions for the Phone Bridge to EVO. Skype Bridge to EVO
6.) Please visit the Communications page for some options.
Acquiring the Virtual Machine Remotely
- The virtual machine can be acquired via either the UConn SRM (if you have open science grid (OSG) access) or via JLab.
- The file is very large (over 5 GB), so the download will likely take a long time if you have a slow internet connection (and will likely be fastest if you copy it while on-site at a university).
- UConn SRM (Using the Grid):
- Via Web Browser: Goto https://grinch.phys.uconn.edu:2880/Gluex/test/ and right-click and download the GlueX_Analysis_Workshop.ova file.
- Via srmcp:
- "srmcp srm://grinch.phys.uconn.edu:8443/Gluex/test/GlueX_Analysis_Workshop.ova file:////localdir/GlueX_Analysis_Workshop.ova", where "/localdir" is the full path to the directory you want to download it to.
- Via Web Browser: Goto https://halldweb1.jlab.org/dist/ and right-click and download the GlueX_Analysis_Workshop.ova file.
- Via sftp:
- On your own machine, "cd" to the folder you want to download it to.
- "sftp email@example.com" (where "username" is your jlab username)
- "cd /group/halld/www/halldweb1/html/dist/"
- "get GlueX_Analysis_Workshop.ova"
Agenda: Wednesday July 10, 2013
Each session contains talk(s) + exercise(s).
- 8:30 Introduction and Monte Carlo (125) --- Chair: Paul Mattione
- 10:35 Coffee (25)
- 11:00 JANA/DANA Overview (65) --- Chair: Justin Stevens
- 12:05 Lunch (60)
- 1:05 Introduction to Analyses in DANA (130) --- Chair: Matt Shepherd
- 3:15 Coffee (25)
- 3:40 DANA Analysis Actions (110) --- Chair: Justin Stevens
- 3:40 Session 4a (60) --- Analysis Action Overview --- Paul Mattione
- 4:40 Session 4b (50) --- Custom Actions --- Paul Mattione
- 5:30 Adjourn
Agenda: Thursday July 11, 2013
Each session contains talk(s) + exercise(s).
- 8:30 ROOT and Full Exercise (120) --- Chair: Matt Shepherd
- 8:30 Session 5a (60) --- Analysis in ROOT --- Paul Mattione
- 9:30 Session 5b (60) --- Full DANA Exercise --- Paul Mattione
- 10:30 Coffee (20)
- 10:50 Boosted Decision Tree Introduction (90) --- Chair: Paul Mattione
- 10:50 Session 6a (45) --- Multivariate Analysis Overview --- Mike Williams
- 11:35 Session 6b (45) --- Introduction to TMVA --- Justin Stevens
- 12:20 Lunch (70)
- 1:30 Boosted Decision Tree Details (75) --- Chair: Matt Shepherd
- 1:30 Session 7a (45) --- BDT Details --- Justin Stevens
- 2:15 Session 7b (30) --- Other Multivariate Classifiers --- Justin Stevens
- 2:45 Coffee (25)
- 3:10 Amplitude Analysis (115) --- Chair: Justin Stevens
- 3:10 Session 8a (65) --- Amplitude Analysis: Introduction --- Matt Shepherd
- 4:15 Session 8b (50) --- Amplitude Analysis: More Details --- Matt Shepherd
- 5:05 Adjourn