GlueX Containers Meeting, April 27, 2018
GlueX Containers Meeting
Friday, April 27, 2018
11:30 am EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center A110
BlueJeans: 968 592 007
- Notes from last Containers Meeting
- Thomas's leading question
- Meeting time
Present: Richard Jones, Mark Ito, Thomas Britton, Sean Dobbs
Notes from the last Containers Meeting
We went over the notes
- Still no progress on a unified Singularity container for grid and non-grid use. This needs to get done.
- Sean sent Mark a link to XROOTD instructions from the OSG. Mark has started going down that road. Turns out XROOTD is available as an RPM from the EPEL repository on RHEL7!
- The large bggen simulation on the OSG has been hung up on a build problem on the target git branch and lack of random trigger file skims. The build problem (with creating the HDDM Python module has been sidestepped on the branch for now.
Running Private Plug-Ins on the Grid
Thomas raised the issue. If users would like to have their private plugins run as part of a collaboration-blessed grid campaign, we need a mechanism for getting that done. Private code is not (at present) served by CVMFS. Thomas noted that the same issue obtains with private event generators.
Richard recounted a story from an ALICE collaborator. They simply do not allow such things.
We settled on a provisional solution: collaborators who need private code must first check in their plugin on the sim-recon tree. Then inclusion on CVMFS is relatively easy.
Container News from FSU
Sean reported that he used our Singularity container system (such as it is) to run jobs on the FSU HPC cluster. Turns out it was not that hard.
Thomas promised SLURM support in MCwrapper in the future.
Now that the semester is over and major issues have been dealt with we agreed to fold container meeting topics into the bi-weekly Offline Software Meetings (OSM) and stop these stand-alone containers meetings. The next OSM is in a week. Thomas is your guest chairman.