GlueX Data Challenge Meeting, December 3, 2012
GlueX Data Challenge Meeting
Monday, December 3, 2012
1:30 pm, EST
JLab: CEBAF Center, F326/327
- Minutes from last time
- Conditions for DC-1
- JLab Farm Mini-Challenge Status
- Grid status
- CMU status
- start date
- New action items
To connect from the outside:
- Call ESNET Number 8542553 (this is the preferred connection method).
- Phone: (should not be needed)
- +1-866-740-1260 : US and Canada
- +1-303-248-0285 : International
- then use participant code: 3421244# (the # is needed when using the phone)
- or www.readytalk.com
- then type access code 3421244 into "join a meeting" (you need java plugin)
- CMU: Paul Mattione, Curtis Meyer
- JLab: Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Dmitry Romanov, Simon Taylor
- UConn: Richard Jones
Conditions for DC-1
Last Monday Mark sent out a list of proposals/decisions about details of the data challenge. We revisited some of these items.
Keeping track of particle parentage
Richard pointed out that a recent change that Paul pulled from the trunk into the dc-1.1 branch did not track parent particle ID correctly as intended, rather it only identified parent particle type. Paul needs this capabiltiy for his Cerenkov studies. Richard has suggested a change to the code to accomplish this and volunteered to implement it. He will do so and check it in on branches/sim-recon-dc-1.1. Mark promised to merge this change onto the trunk at the appropriate point in the future.
Events per file
Richard told us that 50 k events per job was about optimum for grid sites. We adopted that number for all of the sites.
Inclusion of out-of-time interactions
Richard proposed inclusion of out-of-time interactions, both electromagnetic and hadronic. He pointed out that this adds realism which would be essential for rare decay studies. Although that point was not disputed, we decided that introducing this feature could be deferred to later challenges. Accidental background, should not contribute to lowest order in evaluating particle ID options. In the mean time we need to evaluate how our reconstruction performs with realistic background introduced. We have not been running in this mode much heretofore.
Saving the Monitoring Histograms
Richard thought we should, on the whole, dump them; Mark thought we should keep them. We agreed to keep them all after Mark promised to look at every single histogram file personally and with great care (yeah, right, ;-) ). We will do this at least initially, as we go through the challenge we will likely re-visit this.
- CMU: Paul needs to see if the new 50 k run size helps his jobs co-exist memory-wise.
- JLab: Mark needs to figure out why his CPU time estimate went so badly awry.
The change to enable correct parentage tracking says that we do not have the final software stack yet. Mark will touch base with Richard and Paul on Wednesday to see where we stand on this and other issues.