GlueX Data Challenge Meeting, December 3, 2012

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 15:21, 31 March 2015 by Marki (Talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "/halldweb1.jlab.org/" to "/halldweb.jlab.org/")

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Data Challenge Meeting
Monday, December 3, 2012
1:30 pm, EST
JLab: CEBAF Center, F326/327

Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Minutes from last time
  3. Conditions for DC-1
    1. Some Decisions
    2. Keeping track of parentage
    3. Events per file
    4. Inclusion of out-of-time interactions
  4. JLab Farm Mini-Challenge Status
  5. Grid status
  6. CMU status
  7. start date
  8. New action items

Meeting Connections

To connect from the outside:

Videoconferencing

  1. ESNET:
    • Call ESNET Number 8542553 (this is the preferred connection method).
  2. EVO:
    • A conference has been booked under "GlueX" from 1:00pm until 3:30pm (EST).
    • Direct meeting link
    • To phone into an EVO meeting, from the U.S. call (626) 395-2112 and then enter the EVO meeting code, 13 9993
    • Skype Bridge to EVO

Telephone

  1. Phone: (should not be needed)
    • +1-866-740-1260 : US and Canada
    • +1-303-248-0285 : International
    • then use participant code: 3421244# (the # is needed when using the phone)
    • or www.readytalk.com
      • then type access code 3421244 into "join a meeting" (you need java plugin)

Minutes

Present:

  • CMU: Paul Mattione, Curtis Meyer
  • JLab: Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Dmitry Romanov, Simon Taylor
  • UConn: Richard Jones

Conditions for DC-1

Last Monday Mark sent out a list of proposals/decisions about details of the data challenge. We revisited some of these items.

Keeping track of particle parentage

Richard pointed out that a recent change that Paul pulled from the trunk into the dc-1.1 branch did not track parent particle ID correctly as intended, rather it only identified parent particle type. Paul needs this capability for his Cerenkov studies. Richard has suggested a change to the code to accomplish this and volunteered to implement it. He will do so and check it in on branches/sim-recon-dc-1.1. Mark promised to merge this change onto the trunk at the appropriate point in the future.

Events per file

Richard told us that 50 k events per job was about optimum for grid sites. We adopted that number for all of the sites.

Inclusion of out-of-time interactions

Richard proposed inclusion of out-of-time interactions, both electromagnetic and hadronic. He pointed out that this adds realism which would be essential for rare decay studies. Although that point was not disputed, we decided that introducing this feature could be deferred to later challenges. Accidental background, should not contribute to lowest order in evaluating particle ID options. In the mean time we need to evaluate how our reconstruction performs with realistic background introduced. We have not been running in this mode much heretofore.

Saving the Monitoring Histograms

Richard thought we should, on the whole, dump them; Mark thought we should keep them. We agreed to keep them all after Mark promised to look at every single histogram file personally and with great care (yeah, right, ;-) ). We will do this at least initially, as we go through the challenge we will likely re-visit this.

File Numbers

We changed the file number assignments as follows:

SiteFile Number Range
JLab0000000-0000001
CMU0500001-1000000
Grid1000001-9999999

Random Number Traps

We will use the file number to seed BGGEN and then let other seeds default. Richard raised the concern that seeds can repeat, but after looking up, the repetition period is 1043 which should give us plenty of room.

Site Status

  • CMU: Paul needs to see if the new 50 k run size helps his jobs co-exist memory-wise. He ran over the weekend and was able to get 20 M events a day using 192 cores.
  • JLab: Mark needs to figure out why his CPU time estimate went so badly awry.

Start Date

The change to enable correct parentage tracking says that we do not have the final software stack yet. Mark will touch base with Richard and Paul on Wednesday to see where we stand on this and other issues.