GlueX Offline Meeting, August 24, 2010

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Offline Software Meeting
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
2:00 pm EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center F326/7


To connect by telephone:

  1. dial:
    • 800-377-8846 : US
    • 888-276-7715 : Canada
    • 302-709-8424 : International
  2. enter participant code: 77438230# (remember the "#")

Video Conferencing


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2010-08 on the JLab CUE (you have to be a member of the "halld" Unix group). This directory is accessible from the web at .


  1. Announcements
    1. FAQ exists: Mark
  2. Review of minutes from the last meeting: all
  3. Collaboration meeting offline software agenda: all
  4. HDGEANT auto-smearing: David
  5. Anyone know what those warnings are?: all
  6. Action Item Review: all


JLab: Craig Bookwalter, Hovanes Egiyan, Mark Ito, David Lawrence, Yi Qiang, Sascha Somov, Simon Taylor, Beni Zihlmann


  1. FAQ: Mark showed the new GlueX Offline FAQ. Right now it is a skeleton. There are two main divisions: GlueX-related and JLab-related. Feel free to add your questions and answers.
  2. gcc 4.4: David announced that it has been installed on the 32-bit farm nodes.

Review of minutes from the last meeting

We went over the minutes from the August 10th meeting.

  • New release: We are due for a new one. David thought that once a month is a good schedule to keep on.
  • Data file formats:
    • Beni remarked that if we do not agree on a standard file format, then we have given up the idea of the data definition being done in one place and then having that definition quasi-automatically propagated to places where the data is accessed. David answered that that idea could not and should not be implemented in practice in any case, because in that construction the objects in the programs would have to conform to an external data format, and it is the objects that should take precedence in the design of our software.
    • Sasha wondered whether we not ought to go to using EVIO exclusively as CLAS12 is planning to do. David wondered why he thought it necessary to have a single data format.
    • David argued that the issue of data format is not an issue: no one has complained about it or is trying to work on it. Mark answered that just because no one has complained does not mean that there are not efficiencies and simplifications in software development and maintenance that are worth pursuing.
    • Beni remarked that when we get around to writing output files from reconstruction, definition of the format should be tightly controlled and well documented. God-like authority was mentioned.
    • Mark thought that we will have to re-raise this issue again in the future.

Collaboration meeting offline software agenda

We discussed talks to be given at the upcoming meeting. The current proposed line-up:

  1. Summary: Mark
  2. Event display: Elliott
  3. Tracking Progress: Simon
  4. TBD: David

In the course of discussion, Sascha suggested a topic for a future offline meeting: the BCAL summing scheme.

HDGEANT auto-smearing

David explained the new feature of HDGEANT that runs mcsmear automatically after events are generated to produced a file with experimental resolution introduced. He guided us through the new section of the "" file that documents the new options.

Warnings in nightly builds

We have been getting emails about these lately. David will look into it.

Action Item Review

We went over the recently resolved items along with those outstanding.

Some other items were suggested. For these, see the next section of these minutes.

New Action Items

  1. Make a new sim-recon release.
  2. Re-raise the issue of data format at a future offline meeting.
  3. Eliminate warnings in nightly builds from experimental code.
  4. Build CERNLIB on MacOS 10.6 (64-bit).
  5. Update tagger hall geometry.