GlueX Offline Meeting, February 9, 2010

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Offline Meeting
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
2:00 pm EST
JLab: CEBAF Center F326/7


To connect by telephone:

  1. dial:
    • 800-377-8846 : US
    • 888-276-7715 : Canada
    • 302-709-8424 : International
  2. enter participant code: 77438230# (remember the "#")

Video Conferencing

A) ESNet: 8542553
B) EVO: direct meeting link


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2010-02 on the JLab CUE (you have to be a member of the "halld" Unix group). This directory is accessible from the web at .


  1. Review minutes from last meeting: all
  2. Announcements
    1. Dependency generation in the make scheme: Mark
    2. Environment variable checking in the makefiles: Mark
    3. Task priority ratings: Mark
    4. Changes to makefiles, HDDM utilities, xstream library: Mark
  3. David: APS practice talk on GlueX Rates[PPTX] [PDF]
  4. Elliott: DANA-EVIO conversion
  5. Simon: Tracking/PID update
  6. Action item review: all


JLab: Craig Bookwalter, Eugene Chudakov, Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Yi Qiang, Elton Smith, Sascha Somov, Simon Taylor, Elliott Wolin, Beni Zihlmann

Review of Minutes from the Last Meeting

We went over them. No significant issues were raised.


  1. Dependency generation in the make scheme: Mark has revised the scheme for making dependency files in the BMS system. See his notes for some of the problems addressed. These changes should reduce the instances of directories "locking" upon re-make attempts (requiring deletion of dependency files).
  2. Task priority ratings: Mark added priority ratings to the items on the Task List. Please review the list and send comments to him.
  3. Changes to makefiles in HDDM utilities, xstream library: Mark has been making changes to the makefiles in src/programs/Utilities/hddm and src/external/xstream. These changes were mainly to support multiple-platform builds from common source directories.

Need for New Release

We decided that Mark should make a new release of the offline software. David has just fixed a problem that was causing problems when some plugins are unloaded at the end of JANA/DANA runs. We need a release that incorporates this change.

Sasha pointed out that we should be testing programs regularly so that we don't create a release that has problems like these. Development of such tests is indeed on the task list. David volunteered to package his recent b1 analysis example so it can be used for testing the code.

APS practice talk on GlueX Rates

David gave us a preview of his talk on rates at the upcoming Spring APS meeting (being held in February). His slide titles:

  • His submitted abstract
  • GlueX Data Rates
  • The GlueX Detector
  • Level 1 Trigger
  • Subsystem Processor: L1
  • Electronics
  • Detector Rates
  • Event Building
  • Level 3 Trigger and Monitoring Farm
  • Online Monitoring with RootSpy
  • Summary

Many comments were offered.

DANA-EVIO conversion

Elliott presented code and examples of writing out DANA object data in an EVIO stream and contrasted it with the structure of HDDM data. See the main difference is that HDDM uses a hierarchical structure while EVIO uses a flat set of arrays (though these characteristics are not dictated by the format itself in either case). The next step is to read in the EVIO version of the raw data into DANA for reconstruction.

Tracking/PID Update

Simon gave an update on recent work in tracking and developing a particle identification scheme. His slides:

  • Kalman Filter Update
  • Single-track efficiencies
  • Transverse momentum pull distribution
  • Tan λ pull distribution
  • φ pull distribution
  • D pull distribution
  • Z pull distribution
  • Probability distribution
  • Particle Identification
  • dE/dx in chambers
  • Time-of-flight to BCAL
  • Time-of-flight to ToF counters
  • dE/dx in Start Counter
  • PID purity (pions)
  • PID purity (protons)
  • Summary

Action Items

We skipped a review of the action items. Folks should look at the list and remind themselves of work for which they are responsible.

New Action Items

  • New release of offline code. -> Mark
  • Script to do b1 analysis automatically. -> David