Difference between revisions of "GlueX Offline Meeting, June 13, 2012"

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Agenda)
m (Text replacement - "/halldweb1.jlab.org/" to "/halldweb.jlab.org/")
 
(5 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 10: Line 10:
 
# Review of [[GlueX Offline Meeting, May 30, 2012#Minutes|minutes from the last meeting]]: all
 
# Review of [[GlueX Offline Meeting, May 30, 2012#Minutes|minutes from the last meeting]]: all
 
# [https://www.jlab.org/indico/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=4 Offline Software Review] Recap
 
# [https://www.jlab.org/indico/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=4 Offline Software Review] Recap
## Summary of the results.
+
## [[2012 Software Review Closeout Notes|Summary of the results]]
 
## Planning for the next steps.
 
## Planning for the next steps.
 
# Reconstruction sub-group reports
 
# Reconstruction sub-group reports
Line 16: Line 16:
 
## Tracking
 
## Tracking
 
## PID
 
## PID
# Trip Report, CHEP 2012 NYC: David
+
# [[Media:20120613_CHEP_report.pdf|Trip Report, CHEP 2012 NYC]]: David
 
# Action Item Review
 
# Action Item Review
 
#* [http://tinyurl.com/4yjnabe Recently Resolved]
 
#* [http://tinyurl.com/4yjnabe Recently Resolved]
 
#* [http://tinyurl.com/3cnblnl Outstanding Items]
 
#* [http://tinyurl.com/3cnblnl Outstanding Items]
 
# Review of [http://clasweb.jlab.org/websvn/prod/log.php?repname=GlueX&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fsim-recon%2F&rev=0&sc=0&isdir=1 recent repository activity]: all
 
# Review of [http://clasweb.jlab.org/websvn/prod/log.php?repname=GlueX&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fsim-recon%2F&rev=0&sc=0&isdir=1 recent repository activity]: all
# PAC Presentation Dry Run: Matt
+
 
 +
 
 +
* PAC Presentation Dry Run: Matt ''(scheduled for 2:30pm regardless when this meeting ends)''
  
 
=Communication Information=
 
=Communication Information=
Line 34: Line 36:
 
==Slides==
 
==Slides==
  
Talks can be deposited in the directory <code>/group/halld/www/halldweb1/html/talks/2012-2Q</code> on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at https://halldweb1.jlab.org/talks/2012-2Q/ .
+
Talks can be deposited in the directory <code>/group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2012-2Q</code> on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at https://halldweb.jlab.org/talks/2012-2Q/ .
 +
 
 +
 
 +
==Minutes==
 +
 
 +
Attendees:  David L. (chair), Curtis M., Elliott W., Beni Z., Matt S., Simon T, Paul M., Richard J.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
===Announcements===
 +
*Elliott announced that work has now begun on generating raw data formatted files from GEANT simulated data.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
===Software Review===
 +
Some comments and recommendations were made by the review committee. The final report is not out yet, but we discussed a few of the points they made:
 +
 
 +
# We should integrate some profiling tools into our release procedure to archive software performance when a release is made.
 +
# Some tools we may consider are:
 +
#* valgrind ''(has both memory and cache missing tools)''
 +
#* oprofile ''(Richard has had a lot of success with this and likes how it works well with multiple threads)''
 +
#* perfmon ''(Dave noted JANA has a plugin that works with perfmon already. See the README file and code [https://phys12svn.jlab.org/repos/JANA/src/plugins/janapfm here].)''
 +
#:
 +
# Data Challenge: what we should get from it
 +
#*interaction with batch system
 +
#* feedback with computer center
 +
#* On(off)site data movement (MC data generated offsite moved onsite)
 +
#* Separation of Reconstruction and Analysis (i.e. produce DST that is used by multiple analyses)
 +
 
 +
 
 +
=== Tracking Report ===
 +
Simon has been cleaning up code and making it more modular so others can decipher it and contribute easier
 +
 
 +
 
 +
=== PID ===
 +
Paul reported that:
 +
* He's using kinematic fitting to test strangeness channels to see how much it can help PID
 +
* There will not be anything significant to report until next PID upgrade meeting
 +
 
 +
 
 +
=== CHEP 2012 report ===
 +
See David's slides linked in the agenda above.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
===Action Items===
 +
# Ask Igor to present DST format he's using for b1pi at offline meeting
 +
# Identify Data Challenge Coordinator and then have then start to compile list of items we wish to test

Latest revision as of 10:18, 31 March 2015

GlueX Offline Software Meeting
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
1:30 pm EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center, F326/327

Agenda

  1. Announcements
    1. <math> tags on the wiki work now (new/edited expressions were broken)
  2. Review of minutes from the last meeting: all
  3. Offline Software Review Recap
    1. Summary of the results
    2. Planning for the next steps.
  4. Reconstruction sub-group reports
    1. Calorimeters
    2. Tracking
    3. PID
  5. Trip Report, CHEP 2012 NYC: David
  6. Action Item Review
  7. Review of recent repository activity: all


  • PAC Presentation Dry Run: Matt (scheduled for 2:30pm regardless when this meeting ends)

Communication Information

Video Conferencing

Slides

Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2012-2Q on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at https://halldweb.jlab.org/talks/2012-2Q/ .


Minutes

Attendees: David L. (chair), Curtis M., Elliott W., Beni Z., Matt S., Simon T, Paul M., Richard J.


Announcements

  • Elliott announced that work has now begun on generating raw data formatted files from GEANT simulated data.


Software Review

Some comments and recommendations were made by the review committee. The final report is not out yet, but we discussed a few of the points they made:

  1. We should integrate some profiling tools into our release procedure to archive software performance when a release is made.
  2. Some tools we may consider are:
    • valgrind (has both memory and cache missing tools)
    • oprofile (Richard has had a lot of success with this and likes how it works well with multiple threads)
    • perfmon (Dave noted JANA has a plugin that works with perfmon already. See the README file and code here.)
  3. Data Challenge: what we should get from it
    • interaction with batch system
    • feedback with computer center
    • On(off)site data movement (MC data generated offsite moved onsite)
    • Separation of Reconstruction and Analysis (i.e. produce DST that is used by multiple analyses)


Tracking Report

Simon has been cleaning up code and making it more modular so others can decipher it and contribute easier


PID

Paul reported that:

  • He's using kinematic fitting to test strangeness channels to see how much it can help PID
  • There will not be anything significant to report until next PID upgrade meeting


CHEP 2012 report

See David's slides linked in the agenda above.


Action Items

  1. Ask Igor to present DST format he's using for b1pi at offline meeting
  2. Identify Data Challenge Coordinator and then have then start to compile list of items we wish to test