GlueX Offline Meeting, May 31, 2017
GlueX Offline Software Meeting
Wednesday, May 31, 2017
11:00 am EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center F326/327
- Review of minutes from the last meeting (all)
- Stale Branch Policy (Mark)
- 3D Event Display slides (Dmitry, Thomas)
- Benchmarking on KNL (David)
- Review of recent pull requests (all)
- Review of recent discussion on the Gluex Software Help List.
- Action Item Review
- The BlueJeans meeting number is 968 592 007 .
- Join the Meeting via BlueJeans
Talks can be deposited in the directory
/group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2017 on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at https://halldweb.jlab.org/talks/2017/ .
- CMU: Naomi Jarvis, Curtis Meyer
- FIU: Mahmoud Kamel
- JLab: Alex Austregesilo, Amber Boehnlein, Thomas Britton, Brad Cannon, Eugene Chudakov, Hovanes Egiyan, Sergey Furletov, Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Dmitry Romanov, Simon Taylor, Beni Zihlmann
- NU: Sean Dobbs
There is a recording of this meeting on the BlueJeans site. Use your JLab credential to access it.
- AmpTools moved to GitHub from SourceForge.
- MCwrapper 1.6 and 1.7 Thomas has added PBS and Condor support.
- "New" packages in build_scripts: AmpTools, HDGeant4, gluex_root_analysis, hd_utilities.
- Certificates and GitHub. The JLab certificates is no longer needed to communicate with GitHub.
- REST production 2016-02 ver04 done.
Review of minutes from the last meeting---OSG Progress
We went over the minutes from the meeting on April 19. Since then there has been slow and steady progress on GlueX use of the OSG.
- Work on the submit host at JLab is progressing. Problems are being discovered and solved.
- OSG personnel are installing software to deploy the CMU cluster as a Hosted Compute Element, making it available for our use via grid job submissions.
- A decision on how to deploy the GlueX software stack has been made: we will be using Richard Jones' Gridmake system.
Stale Branch Policy
Mark proposed a policy to reduce the number of stale branches in the sim-recon repository. The policy is
Branches that have (a) no commits not present on the master branch and (2) have not had any updates in six months will be deleted "automatically".
There were no objections to this policy and it was adopted.
3D Event Display
Dmitry and Thomas have been working on a three-dimensional event display for GlueX. The system is based on the EVE package of ROOT and uses the JANA framework to retrieve events.
- Thomas gave a live demonstration (starting at 22:00 in the recording).
- Dmitry showed slides commenting on the effort thus far. Please see his presentation for full details.
Dmitry spent a fair amount of time looking at other software packages that address this problem space. Turns out there is not much out there that is written to serve as a toolkit, i. e., most event display programs are highly detector specific.
So far a lot of the work has focused on solving technical problems just to get a working proof-of-principle system. One of the difficulties was getting two multi-threaded applications, ROOT and JANA, to work together. Not all detectors have been implemented and those that can be displayed are treated only at a bare-bones level. One challenge going forward will be manpower; there are a lot of detailed decisions that need to be made, detector-system-by-detector-system, to get a useful product. Hopefully each detector group can contribute, but there is a learning curve to be climbed for each contributor. Thomas and Dmitry are thinking of ways to reduce the slope.
Bench-marking on KNL
David presented slides on benchmark tests he performed with our reconstruction on a Knights Landing (KNL) machine. Please see his slides for the details. The motivation is to develop numbers for proposals to run on new supercomputer, Cori.
Although the comparison is a bit tricky, on a per core basis, on KNL our code runs about 20% of the speed we get on a 2016-era Broadwell processor. This does not necessarily disqualify us for time on Cori; software from other projects are likely similarly challenged.