GlueX Offline Meeting, October 12, 2016

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 17:10, 24 February 2017 by Marki (Talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "" to "")

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Offline Software Meeting
Wednesday, October 12, 2016
2:00 pm EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center F326/327


  1. Announcements
    1. New sim-recon release: 2.6.0 (Mark)
    2. GlueX Software Reconstruction Test (Link) (Paul)
    3. Improvements to Offline Monitoring (Thomas)
  2. Review of minutes from the last meeting (all)
  3. Launches (Paul M./Alex A.)
  4. Software Review
    1. Continuing to add to software document ~20 pages.
  5. Run-Dependent Geometry Proposal (Sean)
  6. Review of recent pull requests (all)
  7. Review of recent discussion on the Gluex Software Help List.
  8. Action Item Review

Communication Information

Remote Connection


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2016 on the JLab CUE. This directory is accessible from the web at .



  • CMU: Curtis Meyer
  • JLab: Alexander Austregesilo, Thomas Britton, Brad Cannon, Paul Eugenio, Mark Ito (chair), Hrachya Marukyan, Paul Mattione, Nathan Sparks, Simon Taylor, Beni Zihlmann
  • NU: Sean Dobbs

There is a recording of this meeting on the BlueJeans site.


  1. New sim-recon release: 2.6.0 Mark announced the release last week. Note that this release fixes problem that existed on the master branch last week that resulted in corrupt HDDM files when compression was turned on.
  2. GlueX Software Reconstruction Test. Paul reported on a new automatic test that runs every three days that does reconstruction and analysis on real data. One job is run per EVIO file.
    • The idea is to use the results like we have been using the results from the b1pi tests, to judge whether the reconstruction is getting better or worse as a function of time.
    • Development was motivated by the problems we encountered with tracking over the summer.
    • Histograms are produced. In the future we will have more succinct ways to compare the results of the jobs.
    • Email is sent out automatically on completion. If you are interested in receiving them, contact Paul or see the instructions for subscribing.
  3. Improvements to Offline Monitoring. Thomas is working on enhancements to the system. First up is a text-file based configuration for specifying plots to be displayed, one plot per line of the file. If others have ideas for improvements on enhancements, please contact Thomas.

Review of minutes from the last meeting

We went over the minutes from the meeting on September 28.

  • Since the last meeting Mark asked Sandy Philpott of SciComp if old farm nodes were ever re-purposed via other groups at the Lab, and indeed this has been done. Beni and David Lawrence are looking into feasibility.


Alex gave the report:

  • Nothing is running right now.
  • We want to start a monitoring launch as soon as possible, but there is a problem with covariance matrices in the current version. Simon had checked in a fix. Mark will produce a patch release soon, in coordination with Alex.
  • Version 3 of the reconstruction will start soon after that.

Software Review 4 Preparations

Curtis reported that the GlueX Doc is up to 20 pages. Others should get a copy from the DocDB or check it out from GitHub (log in first) and look it over and add their contributions to their assigned sections.

Run-Dependent Geometry Proposal

Sean outlined his proposal.

He points out that the geometry can have small changes (e. g., start counter shifts after retraction and insertion of the target) and big ones (e. g., installation of a DIRC) and these will vary from run period to run period. We want a way to select the correct geometry as a function of run number in an automated way. He assumes that we are using HDGeant4, which reads in the geometry on the fly rather than using the HDGeant method of writing source code that reflects the geometry and then compiling that code into the simulation program.

The gist of the proposal is the serve complete HDDS XML files from the CCDB. The CCDB is a convenient way to control run-dependent quantities, and the geometry is just another example. He will start by writing a new class that fetches the XML from the CCDB. Then a new geometry provider will have to be implemented in JANA to receive the information in the same way that the current version reads from disk. Paul M. likes the proposal, calling it long overdue.

Beni and others realized that there is a problem keeping versions of the HDDS XML file in GitHub as we do now. Mark remarked that Git is good for controlling source code, but the HDDS XML is really data that has a life outside changes to the source code. We should probably migrate to complete control of the HDDS XML in the CCDB and remove it from Git in the future.

Conversion of Macros to ROOT 6

Beni reminded us that if we have not done so already, we should be working on ROOT 6 conversion of our calibration macros. He discovered that he himself has a lot of work to do in this area.

Review of recent discussion on the GlueX Software Help List

We went over recent items from the list.

Mark reported that the necessary software RPMs have been installed on the new CentOS7 ifarm node (ifarm1402), but a build had not been attempted yet. That should come soon.

Action Items from This Meeting

  1. Contribute paragraphs to the Software Review document. (all)
  2. Check calibration macros for ROOT 6 compatibility. (all)
  3. Design scheme for managing multiple authoritative versions of HDDS XML files.
  4. Make a patch release of sim-recon with covariance matrix fix. (Mark)
  5. Contact Paul M. if you want to receive email upon completion of the new periodic reconstruction test.