GlueX PID Meeting, November 8, 2018
Revision as of 10:54, 9 November 2018 by Tbritton
- To join via a Web Browser, go to the page  https://bluejeans.com/198066682.
- To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: 188.8.131.52 (bjn.vc) and enter the meeting ID: 198066682.
- To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 198066682.
- US or Canada: +1 408 740 7256 or
- US or Canada: +1 888 240 2560
- PID FOM
- Work Packages
- Really well attended (~20 people), so naturally our initial room B101 would not let the chair log in. Mark I. found a new room and after five minutes we began.
- Attendees were encouraged to watch a short video, linked above, for inspiration
- PID FOM
- Simon briefly mentioned the existence of the variable PID FOM which sought to combine chisq info from various detectors. Uncertainties in question...
- General discussion
- Thomas mentioned a TOF discussion when both he and Beni touched on the solutions used by LHCB and HERMES. Mark I. suggests a reprisal of the discussion as this is ultimately a "solved problem"
- Mark I suggests starting with some brainstorming. At this point discussions were had:
- Sean suggests an incremental approach with links to the workpackages. Thomas agrees and tends to follow a "first make it work, then make it good" approach. Sean suggests we try to come up with some simple variables we can use now to get us going.
- Thomas mentioned he had talked to Daniel L. over shift and had mentioned working on some BDT/MVA/NN solutions to PID.
- Daniel described briefly what he has been playing around with and agreed to give a presentation next time
- Daniel also suggested having two methods early on would be beneficial and that different variables may in-fact need to utilize different methods for the best results. There was general agreement surrounding this. Also speaking to Sean's earlier comment, focusing per hypothesis and then collating those results later may be better than a single global classifier.
- Sean suggests groups working both top down and bottom up.
- Daniel asks about the interface with the sub detector groups. Thomas points out a majority of both the TOF and SC groups were present.
- Mark: Are we just going to focus on charged particles? or... Thomas: Charged will bear more fruit, but will be harder. Additionally, carrying the lessons learned from charged->neutral should be easier than the other direction. General agreements
- Thomas heard Beni's voice in the back of his head and mentioned paying attention to documentation. As ultimately the working group should produce a document that outlines the methods and reasoning behind PID in halld.
- Alex A mentions that the PID FOM code looks fairly integrated. Sean mentions it is mainly Paul's code. Generally, thought to be a good idea to begin studying what is already there before potentially throwing the baby out with the bath water.
- Action items
- Thomas will try to collect a few slides rehashing the TOF meeting discussion and providing some general comments on the general framework.
- Daniel will present some of his work
- Look into PID FOM in the current state (Alex A actually found that these histograms are being run with ReactionFilter. Which means we should have these plots for all of the reactions studied. Will need to correlate and study)