GlueX Software Meeting, May 26, 2020

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 11:57, 27 May 2020 by Marki (Talk | contribs) (added the minutes)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Software Meeting
Tuesday, May 26, 2020
3:30 pm EDT
BlueJeans: 968 592 007

Agenda

  1. Announcements
    1. New version set, version_4.19.0.xml (Mark)
    2. New version set: version_4.20.0.xml (Mark)
    3. genBH in HDGeant4 (Richard)
  2. Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting (all)
  3. Report from the Last HDGeant4 Meeting (all)
  4. More discussion on recon and analysis launch compatability? (all)
  5. Review of recent issues and pull requests:
    1. halld_recon
    2. halld_sim
    3. CCDB
    4. RCDB
  6. Review of recent discussion on the GlueX Software Help List (all)
  7. Action Item Review (all)

Minutes

Present: Alex Austregesilo, Edmundo Barriga, Thomas Britton, Mark Dalton, Sean Dobbs, Mark Ito (chair), Igal Jaegle, Naomi Jarvis, Churamani Paudel, Susan Schadmand, Justin Stevens, Simon Taylor, Nilanga Wickramaarachchi, Beni Zihlmann

There is a recording of his meeting on the BlueJeans site. Use your JLab credentials to authenticate.

Announcements

  1. New version set, version_4.19.0.xml A new container was built so the HDGeant4 version, called out in this version set, is not available on Oasis.
  2. New version set: version_4.20.0.xml This version removes the "CUTS" card and incorporates a new version of MCwrapper, the Melle Mel Release, version 2.4.1. Thomas mentioned a couple of features to come soon:
    • Ability to choose HADR=1 or HADR=4 on the MCwrapper-bot page.
    • An implementation of the single particle gun for MCwrapper.
  3. New HOWTO: HOWTO to simulate a single-particle gun Beni put together a guide on how to accomplish this often-required task. [Added in press: Jon Zarling has extended the HOWTO with instructions on using MCwrapper to generate single-particle simulation data.]
  4. genBH in HDGeant4 Richard has incorporated a Beth Heitler generator directly into HDGeant4.

Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting

We went over the minutes from April 28.

  • We need to review administrative roles for repositories on the GitHub site.
  • The move of the random number generation in the trigger simulation to mcsmear should be turned into a halld_recon issue.

Report from the Last HDGeant4 Meeting

We went over the minutes from the meeting on May 19. Thomas has added the new VERTEX card from Richard to his list of features to be added to MCwrapper.

More discussion on recon and analysis launch compatibility?

...but only a little more. See the threads on the offline mailing list and on Slack.

  • Thomas summarized the issue as an accounting problem. The existing solution depends on a complete set of version set files for each of the launches and appropriate entries in the version set correlation table to record the dependencies of analysis launches on reconstruction launches.
  • Alex has started to do just that, comprehensively. Where appropriate, he creates version sets for launches as links to pre-existing version set files in the halld_versions repository.

Review of recent issues

We went over a couple of issues.

  • halld_recon Issue #381: Reconstruction of vertex x-y position. I appears that the new VERTEX card can put in a shift in the vertex position as advertised by an appropriate entry in the CCDB, but if reconstruction is run with the same CCDB variation, the effect is taken out, with the event vertices centered at (0,0) in the x-y plane in the REST file. Reconstruction of the same simulated data with a CCDB that puts the vertex at (0,0) reveals the offset put in by the VERTEX card. This is a mystery and folks are working on it.
  • halld_sim Issue #128: Energy deposition in TOF mismatch in data & MC. This comes about because we do not calibrate the energy of the TOF in data. Beni is working on a scheme to do so.

Sensing Beam-On to/from Beam-Off Transitions

Beni reminded us of a problem that David Lawrence reported where the apparent clock frequency applied to DAQ boards was inconsistent with expectations. Beni will discuss the situation with the problem with David and report back about whether this group should try to address the problem.

Drupal Database Glitches

Naomi reported seeing long response time when entering comments on papers on our Drupal site. She has also seen some entries get added twice. She advises that if collaborators experience long delays, they delay putting in their entries and try again later in the day.

Requests for JLab Software License Purchases

  • Naomi proposed that JLab upgrade the Slack workspace we are all using to a paid plan. Thomas replied that the Lab is thinking of rolling out Microsoft Teams to users. Teams is already available to JLab staff.
  • Naomi proposed that JLab purchase an Overleaf license. Thomas replied that David Lawrence is already pursuing such a purchase and that folks who would like to encourage that effort should contact David.

Data Processing at NERSC

Beni asked about readiness for the next reconstruction launch at NERSC. Igal replied that he should be ready when the group has certified that we are ready to go on data from the just-ended run.

Action Item Review

  1. Get CCDB 2.0 going. (Mark)
  2. Moving the random number generator in the trigger factory to mcsmear should be an issue in halld_recon
  3. Review administrative roles for repositories on the GitHub site.
  4. Beni will contact David about the DAQ clock problem.

Automatic Calibration of FCAL Data

Igal asked if there is a general system for automatic calibration of detector data. He is interested in automatic calibrations of the FCAL.

  • He reported that the current system for the FCAL is done by hand.
  • Naomi will send Igal the scripts she uses to calibrate the CDC as an example of something that could be developed into an automatic system.
  • We encouraged Igal to contact Sean about what he does for the online calibrations.