GlueX Software Meeting, September 29, 2020

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 20:43, 29 September 2020 by Marki (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Software Meeting
Tuesday, September 29, 2020
3:00 pm EDT
BlueJeans: 968 592 007

Agenda

  1. Announcements
    1. New version set: 4.28.0 (Mark I.)
    2. New release of MCwrapper: DJ Kool Herc Release (Thomas)
    3. New HOWTO: Install CCDB on your local machine (Mark I.)
    4. Future Trends in Nuclear Physics Computing (Mark I.)
    5. Porting to JANA2 (Nathan B./David L.)
  2. Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting (all)
  3. Report from the Last HDGeant4 Meeting (all)
  4. Review of recent issues and pull requests:
    1. halld_recon
    2. halld_sim
    3. CCDB
    4. RCDB
  5. Review of recent discussion on the GlueX Software Help List (all)
  6. Action Item Review (all)


Minutes

The meeting was called to order at 3:00.

Present: Alex Austregesilo, Nathan Brei, Thomas Britton, Sean Dobbs, Mark Ito (chair), Igal Jaegle, Naomi Jarvis, David Lawrence, Simon Taylor, Nilanga Wickramaarachchi, Beni Zihlmann

There is a recording of his meeting on the BlueJeans site. Use your JLab credentials to authenticate.

Announcements

  1. New release of MCwrapper: DJ Kool Herc Release Please see the link for the full release notes, but Thomas gave a live demo (at 1:08 in the recording) of some of the new features including project copying, color-coded project status indicators.
  2. New version set: 4.28.0 Mark deployed a new set of update releases last week. He also released 4.29.0 just before the meeting which uses the version of MCwrapper Thomas had just described.
  3. New HOWTO: Install CCDB on your local machine Mark published these instructions on how to install CCDB on a local MariaDB server. Naomi asked if job-start-up would go faster when using MariaDB versus SQLite and we agreed that it just might.
  4. Future Trends in Nuclear Physics Computing Mark advertised this on-going virtual conference, jointly sponsored by Brookhaven and JLab. He highlighted the talk this morning on Rucio, a product that we might be able to put to good use for tracking and transferring our various data files among various sites.
  5. Porting to JANA2 Nathan and David have been working hard on a branch of halld_recon, converting it to build against JANA2. Some things are different in this JANA version.
    • DApplication is no longer used. The DEvent class is augmented to take up the slack.
    • C++ exceptions are used rather than return codes from member functions.
    • The JFactory syntax has been simplified.
    • So far 600 halld_recon source files have been modified, well past the half-way point.
    • halld_sim is next (a much smaller task).

Review of Minutes from the Last Software Meeting

We went over the minutes from September 15th without significant comment.

Report from the Last HDGeant4 Meeting

We went over the minutes from the September 22nd meeting without significant comment.

Review of recent issues and pull requests

halld_recon

Alex closed several issues yesterday:

  • Issue #439 Problem with analysis library on MC
  • Issue #381 Reconstruction of vertex XY position
  • Issue #355 ReactionFilter crash on simulated REST file

CCDB

Mark remarked that Issue #68, CCDB 2 fails on initialization with jana, is standing between us an deployment of CCDB 2.0. Mark will ping Dmitry Romanov on this.

Review of recent discussion on the GlueX Software Help List

We went over the list.

  • genEtaRegge still failing at MCSmear from Tolga Erbora. This one solved by the new release of MCwrapper, discussed earlier.
  • Comparison of list of runs between RCDB, analysis launch, and random triggers from Hao Li. Sean gave a report on this one, which is actually written up rather well in his reply to the thread on September 17th. In summary:
  • Some runs from Spring 2018 had missing random triggers due to problems with the beam current fiducials.
  • a different scheme is contemplated for the run just ended.
  • David encouraged us to send someone to meet with him in order to transfer responsibility for time fiducial management.

The ROOT Color Palette

Naomi expressed her admiration for the default color palette in the recent releases of ROOT, and asked if it had a name. Alex replied that "kBird" is the word. He also mentioned "kViridis" as a palette that comes highly recommended.

Duplicate Files on the Cache Disk

Alex brought our attention to the Media:duplicate_cache_files.pdf 2,343 cache files where the disk version is different from that on tape. These will never be deleted as long as they are in this state. Alex will send out an email to prompt the guilty to deal with these files. Special action may be required for files owned by users who are no longer members of the collaboration.

Action Item Review

  1. Ask the Computer Center about staging the start of jobs in time. (Mark)
  2. Make sure that the automatic tests of HDGeant4 pull requests have been fully implemented. (Mark, Sean)
  3. Finish conversion of halld_recon to use JANA2. (Nathan)
  4. Ping Dmitry on CCDB Issue #68. (Mark)
  5. Remind folks about their problematic cache files. (Alex)
  6. Finish CentOS 8 compatibility project. (Mark)

The meeting was adjourned at 3:39.