JEF meeting, April 10, 2020

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 03:52, 11 April 2020 by Susansch (Talk | contribs) (Minutes)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Meeting time and location= 9:00 am EST (JLab time) Bluejeans only

Connection instructions

We are using BlueJeans Video/Audio conferencing. Our meeting ID number is 992533564. Click "Expand" for more details.

  • Make sure you have created a BlueJeans account via your JLab CUE account using this link:
  • If connecting via Web Browser: click this link (no passcode is needed):
  • If connecting via Phone: Dial one of the following numbers and then enter the meeting ID above and hit "#" or "##"
  • If connecting via Polycom unit:
    • Dial or
    • Enter meeting ID above



Attendees: Arshak,Varun,Sasha,Zisis,Liping,Igal,Tim B.,Jon Z., Phil, Susan, Jane, S.T.

  • Two shipments of SICCAS crystals have arrived at the lab
    • We've been asked to sign the invoice, but would prefer to inspect the crystals first
    • Sasha estimates need 2 weeks to check out crystals when lab reopens (no idea yet when this will happen)
  • Progress has been made on new contract Shanghai ceramic institute
    • Crystal price reduced
    • Money for Wuhan for QA
  • Received all PMTS (first set of 500)
    • Need to check dimensions of last 150, can trade with Hall C collaborators if too large in diameter
  • Status of other outstanding items (brass pieces, light guides) not completely clear
  • Sasha linked logbook entries for CCAL from Spring 2020 run
    • Replaced 28 bases in CCAL near the beam line with versions with 3x and 6x amplification
      • Modified bases: better linearity
    • Installed into beam, took data with GlueX during last couple of days of run
      • Also did some running with CCAL in trigger
      • Did not contribute significantly to dead time
    • Monitoring LED produces too weak signals, need to increase light intensity
    • For next PrimEx run, need to redo electronics for COMCAL with new bases during summer: potential work for students.
  • Summer work: Liping will have 2 students, Phil will have 1: emphasized need to get paperwork started even if date of lab reopening is not clear
    • Phil's institution has instituted travel restrictions that would require special dispensation to overcome
    • Eugene agreed to provide some monetary compensation for students
  • PAC jeopardy
    • Lab management + JLab board of directors negotiating date of PAC (could be delayed by a month or two) and when jeopardy for Hall D will be considered (could be delayed by 6 months or a year) -- no word from management yet (comment by Su: not a negotiation, JLUO board communicated input from the halls.)
    • It looks like we will be ready to go even if the PAC is not delayed. It's not clear we need to do any additional simulations, but a sensitivity study for the dark scalar is probably warranted.
    • Sasha brought up the idea that we should consider a backup plan if GlueX phase II might not pass the jeopardy process. Right now the JEF project is tied to GlueX w/DIRC. GlueX has another 200 days approved w/o DIRC; it's not clear that this is necessarily separate from GlueX w/DIRC as far as the management is concerned.
    • If we do end up running JEF by itself, Igal mentioned considering possibility of running with Pb target
  • Liping gave an update summarizing the JEF project
    • Highlighted additional channels that we could study, including channels with lepton pairs
    • Sasha: due to reduce S/B would need to run slightly longer than the 100 days we assumed for the first proposal to get the same B-boson reach, etc. -- if could run for large fraction of 200 days for GlueX w/o DIRC, would be ideal
    • Susan provided clarifications regarding eta statistics for WASA-at-COSY (comment by Su:)
      • reaction p+d->3He eta, 10e7 etas (reaction suitable for analysis decay eta->pi0gg)
      • reaction p+p->pp eta, 5*10e8 etas (main trigger on 'charged decays')