JEF meeting, May 22, 2020

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 08:20, 26 May 2020 by Staylor (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Meeting time and location= 9:00 am EST (JLab time) Bluejeans only

Connection instructions

We are using BlueJeans Video/Audio conferencing. Our meeting ID number is 992533564. Click "Expand" for more details.

  • Make sure you have created a BlueJeans account via your JLab CUE account using this link:
  • If connecting via Web Browser: click this link (no passcode is needed):
  • If connecting via Phone: Dial one of the following numbers and then enter the meeting ID above and hit "#" or "##"
  • If connecting via Polycom unit:
    • Dial or
    • Enter meeting ID above



Attendees: Liping, Igal, Zisis, Jane, Sasha, Jon, Phil, Tim B., Josh, S.T.

  • Crystal procurement: meetings w/ JLab procurement ~2 weeks ago
    • Political situation with China is problematic
    • Above $0.5M would need DOE approval to purchase more crystals from SICCAS
    • Discussing breaking up order into smaller chunks, green light from physics management
    • Procurement looking into alternate vendors (maybe switch to Crytur crystals? More expensive and limited production capabilities...)
    • NPS possibly delayed -- arrange some kind of trade with them?
  • Base redesign: Sasha's studies indicate inner layers of FCAL-II would draw ~40 micro-Amp, need to reduce below 10 microAmp, so need amplification
    • Working with Fernando on redesign, add dip switch to configure amplification? (none, 3x, 6x?)
    • Plan to refurbish COMCAL later this year, can use as prototype for FCAL II
  • Jeopardy preparation: Liping will work on physics motivation, Sasha will work on FCAL-2 update -- internal deadline: next JEF meeting.
    • Will stay with 1 m^2 insert in presentation
    • Igal continuing to work on scalar sensitivity
  • JLab starting to work on reopening over the next few weeks
    • Plan to continue GlueX running in summer with local staff and limited nearby users
    • Not clear status of non-local users -- will they be able to come?
    • Some activities can take place off-site: once Tim B. can return to UNCW campus, can start work on pulser unit
    • Highest priority is checking SICCAS crystals -- will have to be done locally, but can test PMTs in parallel at UNCW.