Difference between revisions of "Jan 24, 2019 Calorimeter"

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Minutes)
(Minutes)
Line 70: Line 70:
 
# Action Items
 
# Action Items
 
## Review of Goals for the Calorimetry Group: The goals were briefly reviewed and reiterated.
 
## Review of Goals for the Calorimetry Group: The goals were briefly reviewed and reiterated.
## Calorimetry Calorimeter Work Packages:  Mark commented that we flesh out the methods as well as go over the list, add to it, condense items, etc.  Matt suggested that the pi0 and eta be grouped together as a single item in this list; also in important tasks is to match MC to data width for various momenta/kinematic regions.  Gamma efficiency will require a different technique.  Also, the FCAL inner edges are done and for the outer edge, it may not be relevant because there the BCAL obscures the FCAL.  Elton stated that 1st and 3rd point on the list overlap in a practical sense (fiducial cuts).  Will reminded everyone that he had carried out a study on the fiducial cuts (hole between FCAL and BCAL) and would add the link to it in the table. Mark mentioned that covariance matrices need to come from MC. Elton said that he and IHEP are still looking at the costheta method to see if it will work for FCAL and BCAL.  Tolga asked about neutrons: the answer is that is is a lower priority for now, as nobody is analyzing a physics channel that has neutrons in the final state.   
+
## Calorimetry Calorimeter Work Packages:  Mark commented that we flesh out the methods as well as go over the list, add to it, condense items, etc.  Matt suggested that the pi0 and eta be grouped together as a single item in this list; also an important tasks is to match MC to data width for various momenta/kinematic regions.  Gamma efficiency will require a different technique.  Also, the FCAL inner edges are done and for the outer edge, it may not be relevant because there the BCAL obscures the FCAL.  Elton stated that 1st and 3rd point on the list overlap in a practical sense (fiducial cuts).  Will reminded everyone that he had carried out a study on the fiducial cuts (hole between FCAL and BCAL) and would add the link to it in the table. Matt asked if the FCAL timing can be pushed into the kinfit.  Mark mentioned that covariance matrices need to come from MC. Sean mentioned that z-position determination goes into the covariance matrix. Elton said that he and IHEP are still looking at the costheta method to see if it will work for FCAL and BCAL.  Tolga asked about neutrons: the answer is that is is a lower priority for now, as nobody is analyzing a physics channel that has neutrons in the final state.   
 
# Run Updates
 
# Run Updates
 
## FCAL: Ready to take LED data (hardware switch was off; it will be turned one today).  3 bases need attention but Colin will wait closer to the Primex days before fixing these. The bases do not matter for the DIRC part of the run.
 
## FCAL: Ready to take LED data (hardware switch was off; it will be turned one today).  3 bases need attention but Colin will wait closer to the Primex days before fixing these. The bases do not matter for the DIRC part of the run.

Revision as of 10:49, 28 January 2019

Meeting Time: 11:00 a.m.

  1. To join via a Web Browser, go to the page [1] https://bluejeans.com/907185247.
  2. To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: 199.48.152.152 (bjn.vc) and enter the meeting ID: 907185247.
  3. To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 907185247.
    • US or Canada: +1 408 740 7256 or
    • US or Canada: +1 888 240 2560
  4. Upon connection all microphones are automatically muted. To unmute your mike on a Polycom or equivalent unit, enter *4. Unmuting on a computer is trivial as there is a microphone button than can be clicked.
  5. More information on connecting to bluejeans is available.

Participant Direct Lines

  • JLab Phone in CC L207 is 757-269-7084 (usual room)
  • JLab Phone: in CC F326 is 757-269-6460
  • Phone in the Regina Video-conference Suite is 306-585-4204
  • Athens Phone: in Christina's office is 011-30-210-727-6947

References

  1. FCAL HDFCAL log book
  2. BCAL HDBCAL log book

Goals for Calorimetry Group

  1. Determine preliminary photon reconstruction efficiencies as a function of E, phi and theta in data and simulation with a point-to-point precision of at least 5%.
  2. Measure systematics of pi0/eta mass calibration as a function of detector position to a precision of at east 5 MeV.
  3. Demonstrate agreement of photon reconstruction efficiency and resolution between data and simulation as a function of E, phi and theta to within 5%.

Action Items

Short term items:

  1. Complete Calorimeter work packages
  2. Fix FCAL online monitoring plugin to properly plot low level digi quantities in 2D displays. 2D display of pedestal is hard to get because occupancy plot is filled in a different loop. (Tolga)
  3. BCAL: Check pulsing rate of LED triggers when FP trigger bit is missing (start with early runs in fall 2018). With discerning software, check pulsing rate of later runs where it appeared that the downstream FP LED bit was not firing. (Ahmed)
  4. BCAL: Check that latest gain ratios are uploaded for spring 2018 (Mark).

Long term items:

  1. From Mike's work: -cos(phi) type dependence in the data and a phi dependence at the downstream end of the bcal. See Sep 21, 2017 Calorimeter Meeting.
  2. FCAL: It has been noticed that the pi0 mass shifts when the LED pulser runs at high rate. This is still not understood. See Log Entry 3595928 and references.

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Action Items
    1. Review of Goals for the Calorimetry Group (see section above)
    2. Complete list of Calorimeter Work Packages
  3. Run Updates
    1. FCAL
    2. BCAL
  4. Calibrations
    1. BCAL gain calibrations for spring 2018 File:Summary 24jan BCAL gains.pdf
  5. Reconstruction and Simulation
    1. Updates from Richard?
    2. Costhe Efficiency Method (Elton) - postpone to next meeting
  6. Monitoring
      • Log 3642018 Update on BCAL Hadronic Efficiencies - postpone to next meeting
  7. NIM articles
  8. Any other business

Minutes

Attending: Elton, Colin, Mark (JLab); Curtis, Will (CMU); Matt, Jon (IU); Christina, George (Athens); Zisis, Foda, Karthik (Regina); Sean Tolga (FSU)'

  1. Announcements:
    1. Zisis reorganized this standing Wiki Page.
    2. Mark announced that the start of the run has been delayed by 2 days.
    3. Curtis reminded everyone of the Collaboration Meeting, Feb 21-23. It was decided that a common Calorimetry talk will be presented, including FCAL and BCAL (CompCal?)
  2. Action Items
    1. Review of Goals for the Calorimetry Group: The goals were briefly reviewed and reiterated.
    2. Calorimetry Calorimeter Work Packages: Mark commented that we flesh out the methods as well as go over the list, add to it, condense items, etc. Matt suggested that the pi0 and eta be grouped together as a single item in this list; also an important tasks is to match MC to data width for various momenta/kinematic regions. Gamma efficiency will require a different technique. Also, the FCAL inner edges are done and for the outer edge, it may not be relevant because there the BCAL obscures the FCAL. Elton stated that 1st and 3rd point on the list overlap in a practical sense (fiducial cuts). Will reminded everyone that he had carried out a study on the fiducial cuts (hole between FCAL and BCAL) and would add the link to it in the table. Matt asked if the FCAL timing can be pushed into the kinfit. Mark mentioned that covariance matrices need to come from MC. Sean mentioned that z-position determination goes into the covariance matrix. Elton said that he and IHEP are still looking at the costheta method to see if it will work for FCAL and BCAL. Tolga asked about neutrons: the answer is that is is a lower priority for now, as nobody is analyzing a physics channel that has neutrons in the final state.
  3. Run Updates
    1. FCAL: Ready to take LED data (hardware switch was off; it will be turned one today). 3 bases need attention but Colin will wait closer to the Primex days before fixing these. The bases do not matter for the DIRC part of the run.
    2. BCAL: Mark will begin hot checkout; he expects things to be ok.
  4. Calibrations
    1. BCAL gains calibrations for spring 2018: Karthik reported that things seem to have converged after 6 iterations. For those that notice the jump in mean and sigma after iteration 5, this is simply a reflection of using a different data set (ie many more runs than the first few iterations). A lengthy discussion took place during the meeting and continued right after, especially since the BCAL is the last device before the launch: it was agreed that we are good to go even with what we have now for spring 2018 and that we can spend more time on looking at things for fall 2018 data. The functional form of the equation that extrapolates out to 11 GeV was discussed: at 11 GeV the curve low by 5% off unity. Also, the SiPM saturation will make this worse. It was decided to have Karthik insert a point manually with y-axis value of 0.95, small error bar so as to force the curve to go through it.
  5. Reconstruction and Simulation
    1. Updates from Richard?
    2. Costhe Efficiency Method (Elton) - postponed to next meeting
  6. Monitoring
      • Log 3642018 Update on BCAL Hadronic Efficiencies - postponed to next meeting
  7. NIM articles
  8. Any other business