Mar 12, 2013 Calorimetry

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 17:13, 24 February 2017 by Marki (Talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "" to "")

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Teleconference Time: 11:00 a.m. EST

  • ESNET (Number is 8542553) and EVO session (GlueX Calorimetry meeting room)
  • Phone connection only upon request.
    • +1-866-740-1260 : US+Canada
    • +1-303-248-0285 : International
    • then enter participant code: 3421244# (remember the "#").
    • or (and code without the #)

Participant Direct Lines

  • JLab Phone: in CC F326 is 757-269-6460 (usual room)
  • JLab Phone in CC L207 is 757-269-7084
  • Phone in the Regina Videoconference Suite is 306-585-4204
  • Athens Phone: in Christina's office is 011-30-210-727-6947

Items for followup from previous meeting(s)

  1. Monitoring
    • Determine range of signals needed for Fcal monitoring (Matt)
  2. SiPM
    • After summary of SiPM parameters, provide data to Hamamatsu for comments (USM)
  3. Simulation
    • Send parameters from detailed simulation to David to incorporate into the GlueX GEANT3 MC (Andrei)

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Action Items
  3. Monitoring
  4. FCAL
    • Discussion of FCAL Beam Test NIM article (Kei)
  5. BCAL
  6. Simulations
  7. TDR update
  8. Calibration of Calorimeters
  9. Any other business


Attendees: John, Elton, Beni, David, Yi (JLab); Stratos, George (Athens); Kei (IU), Serguei, Will, Orlando, Hayk, Elias (USM); Zisis, Andrei (UofR).

  1. Announcements
  2. Action Items
  3. Monitoring
    • e-mail regarding decision on Fcal monitoring LEDs
    • GlueX-doc-2182 FCAL calibration measurements with different colour LED's
    • Presentation shows that the three colors can cover the dynamic range required.
    • The use of emulsion black paint on the edges improved uniformity.
    • Zisis: Need to check that paint adheres to the surface over a long period.
    • One surface was sanded using CAMI Grit designation 1000 (P2000) paper. Interestingly, the light output is the same on both sides.
    • Care will need to be taken to prepare the plexiglass sheets to be used in the actual detector.
    • Elton: Requested that Athens prepare a draft specification, so that the process can be duplicated here at JLab.
    • There is some discussion about using sandblasting machine to perform the sanding, but this might require another R&D effort.
  4. FCAL
    1. Discussion of FCAL Beam Test NIM article (Kei)
      • Elton and John have read about half of the article.
      • Some comments were made, but more details will be passed on offline
    2. Stacking (John L.)
      • About 3/4 of the detector is stacked. All full-width rows are complete, new rows are shorter. 19 left and should be complete in about 3 weeks
    3. Dark room
      • John Frye has received feedback from JLab. Suggestions on welds and discussion about moving to a steel structure (instead of aluminum)
      • John L. has spec'd out the labyrinth
    4. Controls
      • John L. and Dan have met with Elliott to better define hardware for environmental monitoring (temp, humidity) and dark box interlock
      • The plan is to bring materials here and assemble on site.
  5. BCAL
  6. Light guide gluing
    • We have completed about 20 modules.
    • We have started mounting the cages, LED control boards with connections to the LED strings. Upon first checking the pulsing system, we found that multiple strings were firing, not just the one pulsed. Fernando suggested that we terminate the unused cables. This essentially eliminated the problem. We still see extra strings firing at the percent level, but this should not be a problem.
    • Media:Cage1.JPG Left side view of Cage
    • Media:Cage2.JPG Front view of Cage
    • Media:Cage3.JPG Right side of Cage# USM
  7. USM File:Report20130312.pdf MPPC Report (Orlando)
    • Received shipment of 360+10 from Hamamatsu on Mar 7
    • Have started testing. 81 are tested, 57 under analysis, 222 are still under test.
    • Have 640 tested sensors ready to ship. (The shipment number corresponds to the number received earlier from Hamamatsu to ease problems with customs). They should go out this week
    • Elton: Need to include the additional 10 units in the testing
    • Elton: Also need to round up the sensors on loan from the first article, that we also need to use in the detector.
    • 4 MPPCs do not meet specifications and must be return to Hamamatsu
    • Elton: Ask Hamamatsu for a return authorization number (RMA), which will allow you to return the non-conforming sensors and receive a replacement.
  8. Light guides
    • USM has fabricated a set of 40 plus replacements for the first 22 guides on the list.
    • Production of guides is stopped at the moment to wait on a replacement part.
    • Elton: As of Friday, we have found a total 37 non-conforming guides (out of 1600, or about 2.5%). The list was sent to USM.
    • Serguei: If the number non-conforming guides is less than 100, they have sufficient material.
  9. Simulations
    • Runs with incident neutrons continue to be submitted.
  10. Reconstruction
    • A subgroup is meeting on Thursdays to discuss the BCAL reconstruction. BCAL Reconstruction Minutes can be found on the wiki
    • At the last meeting Will Levine showed the time-walk generated by the latest simulation code.
  11. TDR update
  12. Calibration of Calorimeters
  13. Any other business