Mar 13, 2014 Calorimetry

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 13:31, 13 March 2014 by Elton (Talk | contribs) (Minutes)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Teleconference Time: 11:00 a.m. EST

  • ESNET (Number is 8542553) and SeeVogh session (GlueX Calorimetry meeting room)
  • Phone connection only upon request.
    • +1-866-740-1260 : US+Canada
    • +1-303-248-0285 : International
    • then enter participant code: 3421244# (remember the "#").
    • or (and code without the #)

Participant Direct Lines

  • JLab Phone: in CC F326 is 757-269-6460 (usual room)
  • JLab Phone in CC L207 is 757-269-7084
  • Phone in the Regina Videoconference Suite is 306-585-4204
  • Athens Phone: in Christina's office is 011-30-210-727-6947

Items for followup from previous meeting(s)

  1. Provide short summary of constants and their use in determination of the sampling fraction (David)
  2. Prepare a plan for cosmic-ray testing including external counters (Zisis)

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Action Items
  3. Monitoring
  4. FCAL
  5. BCAL
  6. Reconstruction and Simulation
  7. TDR update
  8. Calibration
  9. Any other business


Attendees:Elton, John, Manuel, Yi (JLab); Christina, Pavlos (Athens); Shawn, later joined by Zisis (UofR).

  1. Announcements
    • George V. has started his military service. First 20-30 days are hard training with no communications. Following that, they take an oath to their country and are allowed some outside contact. Good Luck!
    • (Elton) The FDC is presently being pushed into the solenoid in preparation for the CDC to be moved down to the hall next week.
  2. Action Items
  3. Monitoring
    • Orlando has completed the GUIs for the FCAL pulser system. John has provided some feedback, which has been incorporated. It is now ready for beta testing.
    • BCAL LED monitoring distribution panel with corrected connections and has been shipped from the company. It should be populated next week and ready for testing.
  4. FCAL (John)
    1. Detector checks
      • Full detector has been checked using the light monitoring pulser system
      • Identified problems include about 30 connectors, 25 bases and 30 pmts. The first two categories are simple fixes
      • The bad pmts have turned out to be cracked and found broken during removal.
      • Broken tubes are uniform over the detector face. Removal and replacement is proving to be a challenge. Access is generated by removing near neighbors. A dell rod with hard setting epoxy is being used to extract remains of the pmts.
      • The cause of the pmt breaks is unclear. Thermal cycling?
      • Matt: The epoxly joint has been thermal cycled extensively during tests, but not the whole assembly.
      • Matt: John Frye found some long nose needle pliers, which are proving to be useful during fixes.
      • Matt: cracking perhaps occurred during installation? John does not think this is likely. A half a dozen did indeed break during installation, but it was obvious and replaced at that time.
    2. DAQ
      • System was triggered using the light monitoring system.
      • However, Sasha is working on the trigger setup, focusing on the BCAL and the FCAL DAQ system is not working currently. He has promised to restore the system shortly.
  5. BCAL
    • BCAL Startup Checkout List
    • BCAL update e-mail
    • The three modules that continued to trip after the conductive sleeves were removed have been fixed. Two had cable problems. One readout assembly had a short, which was fixed in the lab after removing the module.
    • There is one module (#35) with a broken RTD. The plan is to remove the readout assembly after FDC installation and replace the RTD.
    • A single-crate DAQ system is operational and used to take pedestal data yesterday. Elton and Will McGinley (CMU) is starting to take a look at the data
    • The scintillators borrowed from Qweak have been placed above and below the magnet. The one on top is placed perpendicular to the beam and resting on the platform. The one on the bottom would not fit transverse to the beam, so has been installed parallel to the beam below the magnet. They have not yet been cabled.
  6. Reconstruction and Simulation
  7. TDR update
    • Elton and Zisis will work on the BCAL portion next week.
    • Matt has taken a look at the existing document and believes a new outline with updated information is needed.
    • John and Elton will work to produce operation and safety documentation for the FCAL. There is already a signed document for access to the dark room.
  8. Calibration
  9. Any other business
    • Two Regina students will be at JLab this summer (Laura + a new student).
    • Zisis is in the process of trying to secure housing.
    • Teigan will come to JLab from time to time, and perhaps visit MIT to work with Justin on BDTs.
    • IU is also planning to send students to JLab for the summer.