Minutes 10-18-2007

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

FDC Weekly Meeting

Date: October 18, 2007

Participants: Daniel, Simon, Roger, Fernando, Bill, Mark

Next Meeting: T.B.D. (next week is Hall D Collaboration Meeting)

Update on Progress

 - As Brian is gone for a while, there has been no progress on the
   composite wire frame test, the construction of the composite wire
   frames, the construction of the composite cathode prototype, or
   the mounting of the +/-75 deg cathodes for the small-scale prototype.
 - Kim has been out all this week and there was no update available
   for the STB and HVTB design work.

Magnetic Field Tests

 - Tests are still in progress.  Due to the fact that the Hall B
   run (that was supposed to start on Tuesday of next week) has been
   delayed due to technical problems, we will continue taking data
   through next week.
 - At the current time we are taking data with a 90/10 Ar/CO2 mixture
   in the cathode prototype.  Simon and I have been working to improve
   the noise situation in the hall.  We are taking data at 1.2 T field
   and will run like this for several more days.  We still have to
   take a long B=0 run to finish up the test run.

Wire Stringing

 - DSC has started negotiations with IUCF to do the stringing.  Keith
   Solberg is the contact person.  He indicated that the IUCF stringing
   facility is still intact and can be made to work again with relatively
   minor effort.  The winding table is more than large enough to handle
   the FDC frames.  Keith indicated that the lab would be very receptive
   to doing this work and the rates, by all indications so far, would
   be much lower than for FNAL.
 - In order to start this process in motion, Keith has asked us to
   provide some details on the system in general, as well as specs
   tolerances, and time lines.

Cathode Board Readout

 - Roger has roughed out a design for the cathode board readout and
   has most of the elements of the plan tackled.  By next week he
   expects to be in a position to defend the design and start procurement
   of the parts and pieces necessary for a prototype.
 - The basic plan is to make a PC board with the daughter board
   connector attached and a short flex cable attached.  This flex cable
   will feed through a slot in the G10 support frame and be soldered
   to the traces for the cathodes.  The soldering would most likely
   have to be done using a reflowing technique.  There is an issue with
   the required thickness of the G10 frame that the cathode is mounted
   on (it has to have sufficient rigidity to support the PC board) and
   we may need a notch on the boards that face the cathode surface to
   allow clearance for the flex cable and solder.

Cooling Scheme

 - Bill has started work on the cooling system for the daughter
   boards.  He will have to consult with Chuck about the daughter
   board placement.  Bill will make a report on his plans when he
   get a bit further along.

FNAL Planning

 - Brian has not yet been in contact with Karen about our plans to
   do the test winding next month.  DSC will contact Karen to start
   the planning.

Daughter Boards/Transition Boards

 - Fernando has posted a document on the GlueX portal (GlueX-doc-871)
   entitled "The GPC-01 GlueX Preamp Card - Preliminary Test Results".
   Folks should look this over and direct any feedback to Fernando.
 - Fernando will deliver pictures of the front and back of the daughter
   boards and interposer boards (boards to mate the daughter boards to
   the small-scale prototype).

Cable Order

 - The Spectrastrip cable arrived and a section was sent off to
   Gerard Visser for testing.  He will report results when he gets
   to the measurements.

Meetings Next Week

 - Next week we will have a Hall D Collaboration meeting.
 - Mitch Newcomer will be at JLab on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week.
   Fernando will arrange a time for us to meet regarding what feedback
   Mitch will need from us with the ASICs for the next revision.

Work List

 - The FDC short-term work list has been posted on the FDC web site
   (see http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/detector/fdc/).  This is continually
   being updated and DSC welcomes any feedback or comments from the group.

Minutes prepared by Daniel. Send any comments or corrections along.