FDC Weekly Meeting
Date: October 18, 2007
Participants: Daniel, Simon, Roger, Fernando, Bill, Mark
Next Meeting: T.B.D. (next week is Hall D Collaboration Meeting)
Update on Progress
- As Brian is gone for a while, there has been no progress on the composite wire frame test, the construction of the composite wire frames, the construction of the composite cathode prototype, or the mounting of the +/-75 deg cathodes for the small-scale prototype. - Kim has been out all this week and there was no update available for the STB and HVTB design work.
Magnetic Field Tests
- Tests are still in progress. Due to the fact that the Hall B run (that was supposed to start on Tuesday of next week) has been delayed due to technical problems, we will continue taking data through next week. - At the current time we are taking data with a 90/10 Ar/CO2 mixture in the cathode prototype. Simon and I have been working to improve the noise situation in the hall. We are taking data at 1.2 T field and will run like this for several more days. We still have to take a long B=0 run to finish up the test run.
- DSC has started negotiations with IUCF to do the stringing. Keith Solberg is the contact person. He indicated that the IUCF stringing facility is still intact and can be made to work again with relatively minor effort. The winding table is more than large enough to handle the FDC frames. Keith indicated that the lab would be very receptive to doing this work and the rates, by all indications so far, would be much lower than for FNAL. - In order to start this process in motion, Keith has asked us to provide some details on the system in general, as well as specs tolerances, and time lines.
Cathode Board Readout
- Roger has roughed out a design for the cathode board readout and has most of the elements of the plan tackled. By next week he expects to be in a position to defend the design and start procurement of the parts and pieces necessary for a prototype. - The basic plan is to make a PC board with the daughter board connector attached and a short flex cable attached. This flex cable will feed through a slot in the G10 support frame and be soldered to the traces for the cathodes. The soldering would most likely have to be done using a reflowing technique. There is an issue with the required thickness of the G10 frame that the cathode is mounted on (it has to have sufficient rigidity to support the PC board) and we may need a notch on the boards that face the cathode surface to allow clearance for the flex cable and solder.
- Bill has started work on the cooling system for the daughter boards. He will have to consult with Chuck about the daughter board placement. Bill will make a report on his plans when he get a bit further along.
- Brian has not yet been in contact with Karen about our plans to do the test winding next month. DSC will contact Karen to start the planning.
Daughter Boards/Transition Boards
- Fernando has posted a document on the GlueX portal (GlueX-doc-871) entitled "The GPC-01 GlueX Preamp Card - Preliminary Test Results". Folks should look this over and direct any feedback to Fernando. - Fernando will deliver pictures of the front and back of the daughter boards and interposer boards (boards to mate the daughter boards to the small-scale prototype).
- The Spectrastrip cable arrived and a section was sent off to Gerard Visser for testing. He will report results when he gets to the measurements.
Meetings Next Week
- Next week we will have a Hall D Collaboration meeting. - Mitch Newcomer will be at JLab on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. Fernando will arrange a time for us to meet regarding what feedback Mitch will need from us with the ASICs for the next revision.
- The FDC short-term work list has been posted on the FDC web site (see http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/detector/fdc/). This is continually being updated and DSC welcomes any feedback or comments from the group.
Minutes prepared by Daniel. Send any comments or corrections along.