Nov 17, 2016 Calorimeter

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 16:29, 17 November 2016 by Sdobbs (Talk | contribs) (Minutes)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Video Conferencing Information

Meeting Time: 11:00 a.m.

  1. To join via a Web Browser, go to the page [1]
  2. To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: ( and enter the meeting ID: 907185247.
  3. To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 907185247.
    • US or Canada: +1 408 740 7256 or
    • US or Canada: +1 888 240 2560
  4. Upon connection all microphones are automatically muted. To unmute your mike on a Polycom or equivalent unit, enter *4. Unmuting on a computer is trivial as there is a microphone button than can be clicked.
  5. More information on connecting to bluejeans is available.

Participant Direct Lines

  • JLab Phone: in CC F326 is 757-269-6460 (usual room)
  • JLab Phone in CC L207 is 757-269-7084
  • Phone in the Regina Video-conference Suite is 306-585-4204
  • Athens Phone: in Christina's office is 011-30-210-727-6947

Action Items

  • Produce documentation for implementation of timing algorithms and constants (Andrei)
  • Find standard location for monitor references (Ahmed and Sean)
  • Andrei to send reference to Will for BCAL_mevPerPE constant
  • Will will extend the range of the plot for simulated resolutions to higher energy (e.g. 5 GeV)
  • Check that the charged track extrapolation inside the BCAL follows the magnetic field.


  1. FCAL HDFCAL log book
  2. BCAL HDBCAL log book
  3. BCAL Action Items and Working Tasks

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Action Items
  3. Run preparations
  4. FCAL update
  5. BCAL update
  6. Calibrations
  7. Reconstruction and Simulation
  8. Any other business


Attendees: John (JLab), Will, Mike (CMU), (IU), Sean (NWU), Christina (Athens), Tegan, Ahmed, Andrei, Zisis (Regina)

  1. Announcements
    • Sean reported on today's the Run Coordination meeting. As we saw from Alexandre, Accelerator thought things were rosy yesterday, but beam is too large so they are now working on tuning, including RF commissioning.
    • Beam starts tomorrow (we hope)
  2. Action Items
    1. Andrei is making progress on the documentation. It should be ready in one week.
    2. Sean placed Ahmed's ROOT file in a web-accessible place (same was where the B-field map is) and supplied Ahmed with a function to look for an download the file if necessary. The LED pulser monitoring script is ready for Offline use.
    3. Andrei will send the meVperPE info to Will later today.
    4. Will says this is coming soon.
    5. Will checked the charged track extrapolation in the BCAL and it does what it is supposed to do. Of course, one has to be careful when looking at the path length in the BCAL from using two points. Andrei had looked at dE/dx in the BCAL and this is a small effect.
  3. Run preparations
    1. BCAL is operating nominally.
    2. FCAL is operating nominally; only one base has some communication issue.
    3. Sean reported on the fADC firmware. There are some pathologies in that when the BCAL LED pulser is operating, some crazy pulses appear. No cleat whether the firmware or pulser are causing these. The pulse reconstruction finds the wrong peak sometimes, as it can happen for low pulses and when there are two pulses; the latter will be initially suppressed by using npeak=1. In the process the timing algorithm was fixed to spec. During detector checkout some events with full pulses will be written out to continue investigating this issue. Sean clarified that the old parser works only with old firmware data, and the new parser only works with new firmware data. Sean will send some run numbers to Ahmed for inspection.
  4. FCAL update John checked the inventory and both JInventory and the stuff is F117 is accounted for. He is using a dark box and pulser in F117 and Chris can repair 20 bases a week. As 170 bases need repairs, this should be done before the spring run. On the short term we are ok. Also, John checked on those PMTs that Sasha had labelled as 'hot channels' affecting the trigger. The effect cannot be reproduced completely; maybe 1/3 have a high switching rate. This could be a time-dependent or environmental-control (dark room vs F117) behaviour.
  5. BCAL update: Athens is working on George's PhD proposal.
  6. Calibrations: nothing other than reported above.
  7. Reconstruction and Simulation: no report.
  8. Any other business: none.