Nov 30, 2017 Calorimeter

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Video Conferencing Information

Meeting Time: 11:00 a.m.

  1. To join via a Web Browser, go to the page [1]
  2. To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: ( and enter the meeting ID: 907185247.
  3. To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 907185247.
    • US or Canada: +1 408 740 7256 or
    • US or Canada: +1 888 240 2560
  4. Upon connection all microphones are automatically muted. To unmute your mike on a Polycom or equivalent unit, enter *4. Unmuting on a computer is trivial as there is a microphone button than can be clicked.
  5. More information on connecting to bluejeans is available.

Participant Direct Lines

  • JLab Phone in CC L207 is 757-269-7084 (usual room)
  • JLab Phone: in CC F326 is 757-269-6460
  • Phone in the Regina Video-conference Suite is 306-585-4204
  • Athens Phone: in Christina's office is 011-30-210-727-6947

Action Items

  1. Check in the code, including scripts, that is used for recent calibrations into git (BCAL: Mark)
  2. Add Fcal dead channels into the MC. [Matt and Elton]
  3. Add monitoring plots for charged particle clusterizer [Will to suggest plots and collaborate with Mark]
  4. BCAL matching efficiency: We will need to work on two issues: a) why inclusion of correct material in BCAL affects the matching and b) why the matching efficiency decreased from about 85% when the charged clusterizer was included into the analysis.

Complete after new launch

  1. Report back on study of eta with in FCAL [Mark]
  2. From Mike's work: -cos(phi) type dependence in the data and a phi dependence at the downstream end of the bcal


  1. FCAL HDFCAL log book
  2. BCAL HDBCAL log book

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Action Items
  3. FCAL Update
    1. Run preparations
    2. Other updates
  4. BCAL update
    1. Run preparations
    2. Other updates
  5. Calibrations
    1. Exclusive pi0 calibration update
  6. Reconstruction and Simulation
    1. BCAL timing resolution Sean, Production Meeting (pg 6-8)
    2. Track matching (Simon)
  7. NIM articles
  8. Any other business


Attendees: Elton, Mark, Simon (JLab); Will (CMU); Christina, George (Athens); Jon (IU); Sean (NW); Tegan (UofR).

  1. Announcements
    • Beam is on schedule to deliver beam to Hall D over the weekend
    • Zisis and other UofR faculty were at Jlab earlier in the week with their VP for Research to meet with JLab management.
  2. Action Items
    • Simon will report on BCAL matching today
  3. FCAL Update
    1. Run preparations
      • Due to a incorrect mapping of bad bases, replacements were made in wrong locations. Colin is working Chris to rectify the situation.
    2. Other updates
  4. BCAL update
    1. Run preparations
      • BCAL detector has been checked off. See log book.
      • Last update was for the TDC thresholds. Three modules in a row showed a (systematic) threshold shift of about 5 mV, compared to previous measurements. It is not clear why.
      • BCAL chillers are at 5 degC, 1.4 V overbias.
    2. Other updates
  5. Calibrations
    1. Exclusive pi0 calibration update
      • At the last meeting, Will noted that the referenced ccdb constants seemed incorrect. In effect, the wrong run number was being used.
      • Starting with the correct ccdb constants, iterations were made to determine gain constants using the exclusive gp->pi+pi-pi0 sample.
      • It appears this exclusive data set calculates peaks that are ~0.5% systematically lower than that obtained using the inclusive sample.
      • Mark: Systematic difference could be due to less background in exclusive sample, which may mean it is more accurate
      • Will: Could be a z dependence for the different samples. Shower energies should have the same non-linear corrections between the two samples.
      • Elton: Note that the distribution of constants for exclusive sample have larger tails.
      • Will: suggest that the constants be plotted for different layers.
      • Elton: also plot for different photon energies
      • Sean: could also look at the z dependence
      • Based on the dependencies checked one may opt for using the constants from the exclusive data sample.
  6. Reconstruction and Simulation
    1. BCAL timing resolution Sean, Production Meeting (pg 6-8) (Mark)
      • Mark started investigating the BCAL timing resolution in simulation.
      • Sean had showed that monitoring plots (neutral showers adjusted back to the target relative to the RF) showed different behavior between 2016 and 2017, and especially very narrow widths for the 2017 simulation.
      • Mark asked Thomas to produced samples of 2016/2017 simulations that can be compared directly.
      • Sean: Noted that the 2016 simulation plots come from generation and reconstruction from about a year ago and there have been many changes since then.
      • Mark noted that mcsmear smears the time with a sigma=220 ps independent of energy. It is possible that adding an energy dependence could get the MC to look closer to the data.
    2. Track matching (Simon)
      • Continues to try to improve matching of tracking to all detectors, but the BCAL in particular.
      • Uses new algorithms that require less memory and fewer iterations of the swimming.
      • Compared plots from the monitoring, comparing 'old' to 'new' algorithms, and bcal map=air, bcal map=matrix material.
      • The new algorithms are only slightly impacted by air->matrix material, ~2% compared to 10%.
      • Investigations of matching dependence on charged clusterizer will be later.
      • Some discussion about when to merge into master. Sean: wait until we are routinely taking data.

Simon: also wants to do more testing to continue to understand features of efficiency plots, e.g. phi and z dependence. Then merge. Note that the merge will not affect production launches.

  1. NIM articles
    • Draft of BCAL NIM paper has been sent to collaboration for comments.
    • Received comments from Mark and Matt. This feedback will be used to update the draft.
    • Christina and George are also going through the paper and will send us comments.
  2. Any other business
    • George is preparing a report to the physics group on Monday.