November 18, 2008 Software
- Review minutes from October 8, 2008 Software meeting
- JLab wireless network
- Start Counter MC Studies (Seema D.)
- Report on ACAT08 Workshop (David L.)
- Action Items
The meeting will be at 12:00pm in Cebaf Center F326.
To connect by telephone: 1.) dial:
800-377-8846 : US 888-276-7715 : Canada 302-709-8424 : International
2.) enter participant code: 39527048# (remember the "#")
We will attempt an EVO connection for this meeting. We have a reasonable expectation that this will work.
Attendees: David L. (chair), Elke A., Simon T., Alex S., Beni Z., Elliott W., Mark I., Jim S.
Phone: Seema D., Blake L.
Seema gave a brief update on the current simulation studies being done for the start counter (S.C.) Highlights from the discussion are:
- 25 staves currently in svn. Should be 40.
- ~ 2.8 MHz in all S.C. for 10^8 gamma/sec
- Seema will make geometry changes in repository
- There was a question about BEAM objects in the data stream and for what generators they are available. This will be checked on
- It was suggested that the Seema look into the ability of the S.C. to identify protons
ACAT Workshop report
David reported on the ACAT workshop in Erice, Sicily Dec. 3-7. There, he reported on the multi-threaded event processing capability of JANA. There were numerous talks/discussions on moving to a parallel programming techniques including multi-threading and SIMD (single instruction, multiple data) functions. The main points were:
- Vectorization of code via SIMD
- Parallelism in general
- Multivariate Analysis
- the LLVM compiler system
- Java in HEAP (High Energy and Astrophysics)
- Cell broadband Engine
No action items were discussed