Difference between revisions of "November 5, 2014 Calibration"

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Agenda)
(Minutes)
Line 42: Line 42:
 
#* Mark reported that Sasha O. has been running into some difficulties in running over TOF cosmic data, with a couple different types of crashes.  Simon suggested Sasha might want to increase the buffer size used for the DAQ plugin.
 
#* Mark reported that Sasha O. has been running into some difficulties in running over TOF cosmic data, with a couple different types of crashes.  Simon suggested Sasha might want to increase the buffer size used for the DAQ plugin.
 
# Commissioning simulations
 
# Commissioning simulations
#* Sean presented some results on detector rates from a photon beam simulation.  These are an update to the results he presented at the Offline meeting last Wednesday.  The difference in the results are due to changes in the beamline geometry by Simon to reflect the current experimental situation:  in the collimator cave, the plastic cap on the exit of the upstream beampipe was updated, a beam profiler with lead convertor was added, the PS converter was added (1x10^-3 RL), the active scintillator targets in the main hall were added, and the comissioning target was changed to a 1mm CH2 target.
+
#* Sean presented some results on detector rates from a photon beam simulation.  These are an update to the results he presented at the Offline meeting last Wednesday.  The difference in the results are due to changes in the beamline geometry by Simon to reflect the current experimental situation:  in the collimator cave, a beam profiler with lead convertor was added and the PS converter was added (1x10^-3 RL); in the main hall, a hole was put in the center of the plastic cap at the end of the beam pipe before the target assembly, a 1-cm thick active scintillator target in the main hall was added just downstream of this, and the comissioning target was changed to a 1-cm CH2 target.
 
#* The rate numbers were discussed, and they come with several caveats.   
 
#* The rate numbers were discussed, and they come with several caveats.   
 
#** The hit rates come primarily from EM "background" interactions, so they are very sensitive to the beam quality. Eugene pointed out that we don't know what the beam transmission is right now.  There's an estimate of ~10% based on a PS measurement, but there are also some unknown backgrounds.  
 
#** The hit rates come primarily from EM "background" interactions, so they are very sensitive to the beam quality. Eugene pointed out that we don't know what the beam transmission is right now.  There's an estimate of ~10% based on a PS measurement, but there are also some unknown backgrounds.  

Revision as of 07:49, 6 November 2014

GlueX Calibration Meeting
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
11:00 am, EDT
JLab: Hall D Counting House

Connection Using Bluejeans

  1. To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: 199.48.152.152 (bjn.vc) and enter the meeting ID: 630804895.
  2. To join via a Web Browser, go to the page [1] https://bluejeans.com/630804895.
  3. To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 630804895
    • US or Canada: +1 408 740 7256 or
    • US or Canada: +1 888 240 2560
  4. Upon connection all microphones are automatically muted. To unmute your mike on a Polycom or equivalent unit, enter *4
  5. More information on connecting to bluejeans is available.


Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Status Update
  3. Commissioning updates
    1. Tracking
    2. Calorimetery
    3. Others
  4. Fall 2014 Commissioning Simulations updates
    1. Detector Rates
  5. Data Monitoring
  6. AOB

Minutes

Attending: Sean, Amiran (NU); Simon, Paul, Eric, Adesh, Will M., Mark I., Eugene (JLab); Curtis, Naomi (CMU); Justin (MIT)

  1. Status Update
    • The translation table in the CCDB was updated with some PS/PSC entries that were being lost in the conversion from the master translation table. New tables for these detectors are being added for when reconstruction code is developed.
  2. Commissioning updates
    • Simon has continued to analyze the existing set of cosmic ray data for the CDC. Some more data was taken recently, but it seems as though the CDC wasn't turned on.
      • Curtis mentioned that we'll need to start accounting run quality better soon. Sean mentioned that the offline monitoring system is set up to do this, but only for runs taken with the full normal DAQ, not the standalone ones used by individual detectors.
    • Sean reported that he had received emails from Matt S. and Zisis saying that progress was being made in FCAL & BCAL calibrations. Matt expected to commit the pi0 calibration code soon. Andrei/Irina/Noemi have been making progress analyzing BCAL cosmic data and simulations.
    • Eric reported that during start counter commissioning, a consistent rate asymmetry was seen between the top and bottom channels. This is assumed to be due to the 1.5mm tilt in the start counter mounted to the commissioning target.
    • Mark reported that Sasha O. has been running into some difficulties in running over TOF cosmic data, with a couple different types of crashes. Simon suggested Sasha might want to increase the buffer size used for the DAQ plugin.
  3. Commissioning simulations
    • Sean presented some results on detector rates from a photon beam simulation. These are an update to the results he presented at the Offline meeting last Wednesday. The difference in the results are due to changes in the beamline geometry by Simon to reflect the current experimental situation: in the collimator cave, a beam profiler with lead convertor was added and the PS converter was added (1x10^-3 RL); in the main hall, a hole was put in the center of the plastic cap at the end of the beam pipe before the target assembly, a 1-cm thick active scintillator target in the main hall was added just downstream of this, and the comissioning target was changed to a 1-cm CH2 target.
    • The rate numbers were discussed, and they come with several caveats.
      • The hit rates come primarily from EM "background" interactions, so they are very sensitive to the beam quality. Eugene pointed out that we don't know what the beam transmission is right now. There's an estimate of ~10% based on a PS measurement, but there are also some unknown backgrounds.
      • The rates also depend on correctly modelling the beamline geometry. Sean showed the effect of modifying/removing some of the beamline components in the simulations. He will continue to extend these studies.
      • Finally, the rates depend on the thresholds in the various detectors. These thresholds should be studied in more detail.
  4. Data Monitoring
    • Paul reported several problems with the online monitoring ROOT files that are currently being created: directories being created in the wrong places, histograms being created in multiple places, histogram not being filled, ROOT files not being closed correctly. He is working with David to fix these.
    • Kei is in Italy this week. He has written scripts to run over the data on tape, and written documentation so that we know how to run them.
    • Sean has updated the processing scripts to run over the online monitoring data and to create images based on the RootSpy macros. He's also updated the DB to track tagger information.
    • Justin has made changes to the website, tracking Sean's changes.
  5. AOB