Difference between revisions of "Oct 15, 2008 Calorimetry"

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Supporting Documents)
m (Text replacement - "http://argus.phys.uregina.ca/cgi-bin/private" to "https://halldweb.jlab.org/doc-private")
 
(92 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
= Supporting Documents=
+
= Supporting Documents and References=
#[http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/gluex_secure/BCAL_Schedule_V1.pdf DRAFT Construction Schedule]
+
#[http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/gluex_secure/BCAL_Schedule.pdf DRAFT Construction Schedule]
#[http://argus.phys.uregina.ca/cgi-bin/private/DocDB/ShowDocument?docid=920 Fiber Specifications]
+
#[https://halldweb.jlab.org/doc-private/DocDB/ShowDocument?docid=920 Fiber Specifications]
#DRAFT Lead Specifications
+
#[https://halldweb.jlab.org/doc-private/DocDB/ShowDocument?docid=1130  DRAFT Lead Specifications]
#[http://argus.phys.uregina.ca/cgi-bin/private/DocDB/ShowDocument?docid=1129 DRAFT Construction Manager Job Description]
+
#[https://halldweb.jlab.org/doc-private/DocDB/ShowDocument?docid=1129 DRAFT Construction Manager Job Description]
 +
#[https://halldweb.jlab.org/doc-private/DocDB/ShowDocument?docid=1138 Collaboration MOU with Regina]
 
#DRAFT Fiber QA and acceptance
 
#DRAFT Fiber QA and acceptance
 
#* [[Media:Handling SCSF-78fibers.pdf | Handling of Kuraray Fibers]]
 
#* [[Media:Handling SCSF-78fibers.pdf | Handling of Kuraray Fibers]]
Line 12: Line 13:
 
#* [[Media:W027Leadspec.pdf | LME lead specification PB970R]]
 
#* [[Media:W027Leadspec.pdf | LME lead specification PB970R]]
 
#* [http://www.lme.co.uk/lead.asp London Mercantile Exchange]
 
#* [http://www.lme.co.uk/lead.asp London Mercantile Exchange]
 +
#* [http://www.vulcanresources.com/FAQ.html Vulcan Resources FAQs]
 +
#* [[Media:Lead_spec_B29.pdf | Lead_spec_B29.pdf]]
 +
#* [[Media:W027Leadspec.pdf | W027Leadspec.pdf]]
 
#DRAFT Construction procedures
 
#DRAFT Construction procedures
 
+
#[http://www.jlab.org/~whitey/BCAL/WEDGE_Oct8-2008.pdf  Wedge Detail Drawing]
= Agenda Items=
+
#Other Links
# Construction manager
+
#* For small quantities of lead visit [http://www.goodfellow.com/home.aspx?LangType=1033 GoodFellow]
# Review of schedule
+
#Co-Op Information from Regina ([[Media:Co-Op_Regina.docx]])
#* Sequence of events
+
#* Receipt/QA of fibers
+
#* Receipt/QA and swaging of lead
+
#* Production
+
#* QA of module production
+
#* Shipping/receiving
+
#* Reporting
+
# Space allocation
+
# Hiring, supervising hourly labor
+
# Construction MOUs with UofR and UofA
+
  
 
=Tentative Schedule=
 
=Tentative Schedule=
#Jlab: Arrival: Tuesday, early afternoon. Departure JLab: Thursday, midday.
+
#Jlab: Arrival: Tuesday, early afternoon. Departure: Thursday, midday.
#UofR: Arrival Tuesday, late afternoon; Departure:
+
#* Meeting between JLab group and R.Soluk in the CPP Board Room CEB 451
# Agenda for Wednesday
+
#UofR: Arrival Tuesday, late afternoon; Departure: Thursday, midday.
#*....
+
  
 
=Participants=
 
=Participants=
Line 42: Line 35:
 
#* George Lolos, GlueX co-spokesperson
 
#* George Lolos, GlueX co-spokesperson
 
#* Zisis Papandreu, Bcal Working Group
 
#* Zisis Papandreu, Bcal Working Group
 +
#* Andrei Semenov, Bcal Working Group
 
#University of Alberta
 
#University of Alberta
 
#* Jim Pinfold, GlueX contact
 
#* Jim Pinfold, GlueX contact
#* Jan Soukup, Engineer
+
#* Jan Soukup,MRS engineer
#* Gilbert Lachat, Machine shop director
+
#* Richard Soluk, MRS technologist
#* Doug Gingrich, CPP Director
+
#* Gilbert Lachat, Head of machine shop
 +
#* Doug Gingrich, CPP Director (on travel)
 +
#* Rene Elio, Associate VP Research (on travel)
 
#* John Beamish, Physics dept chair
 
#* John Beamish, Physics dept chair
 +
#* Cathie Gordey, Research Services Office
 +
#* Melissa Dean, Research Services Office
  
 +
=Rough Agenda=
 +
# [http://cpp.phys.ualberta.ca/cpp/about/location.htm Maps/Information] about UofA
 +
# Jim will prepare an agenda by tomorrow afternoon.
 +
==Tues==
 +
Meet in the Board Room of the Centre for Particle Physics (Room 451 on the 4th floor of the CEB (Civil and Electrical Engineering Building))
 +
# 4:00 pm schedule meeting with Richard Soluk
 +
# Dinner (JLab and UofR)
 +
==Wed==
 +
# 9:00-9:15 Welcome in CEB 451
 +
# 9:15-9:50 Preliminary discussions in CEB 451. Move to Room CEB 238A (main office meeting room)
 +
# 10:00-10:30 Meetng with Department Chair in CEB 238A
 +
# 10:30-11:00 Meeting with shop supervisor Gilert Lachat in CEB 238A
 +
# 11:00-12:00 Tour of facilities used in BCAL construction
 +
# 12:00-13:00 Lunch with the chair
 +
# 14:00-16:00 Discussion on MOU and planning issues in CEB 238A - Cathie Gordey of the Research services offices will join us at 2:00 pm
 +
# 18:00 Drinks and dinner at the faculty club.
 +
 +
= Agenda Items (random order)=
 +
# Construction manager
 +
# Review of schedule
 +
#* Sequence of events
 +
#* Receipt/QA of fibers
 +
#* Receipt/QA and swaging of lead
 +
#* Production
 +
#* QA of module production
 +
#* Shipping/receiving
 +
#* Reporting
 +
# Quality assurance
 +
# Space allocation
 +
# Hiring, supervising hourly labor
 +
# Construction MOUs with UofR and UofA
  
 
=Minutes=
 
=Minutes=
Attending:
+
Attending: See participant list above.
 +
 
 +
9:00-9:15 Welcome in CEB 451
 +
* Jim welcomed and introduced everyone.
 +
 
 +
9:15-9:50 Preliminary discussions in CEB 451. Move to Room CEB 238A (main office meeting room)
 +
# Elke outlined the main task of the day as being a clarification of responsibilities for the project.
 +
# Jim reviewed the Alberta staff on the project.
 +
#*  Jan Soukup (20-25%), engineering concerns. Jan's primary task is the underground facility.
 +
#* Richard Soluk (30%), MRS technologist.
 +
#* Jim will address overall concerns, but no involved in the direct operations. Coordinate priorities, reports to MRS grants.
 +
# EH&S concerns relative to handling of lead
 +
#* The machine shop is part of the overall building ventilation system and needs to be separated out.
 +
#* From the project point-of-view, we need documentation to show that the activities at Alberta follow their own EH&S procedures, as established by Canadian regulations, etc.
 +
#* The lead swaging by students does not create airborne lead (dust) and therefore protective covering (including gloves) is sufficient for safe handling.
 +
#* It is planned to check all the procedures used for the prototype production are still applicable
 +
# Discussion of 'DEAP' underground facility and impact on project
 +
#* Challenging machining project consisting of two hemispheres of acrylic, requiring machining in both the concave and convex parts of the hemisphere. Project requires the piece to be machined in a single setup of the machine.
 +
#* Note that the detector requires only two hemispheres, but the project is planning on machining two additional hemispheres (four total), considering the difficulty of the operation.
 +
#* Fabrication also requires large jigs to be fabricated to support of the machining of the hemisphere.
 +
#* Estimates for the duration of this activity were about 3 mo. (Gilbert), to 6 mo. (conservative estimate for first hemisphere, which might take longer).
 +
#* Aksel Hallin, physicist on the project, joined us later in the afternoon to update us on the schedule:
 +
#* Present for the project from NSERC (continual development) was about $ 0.3M (last year), $0.6M (this year), and $1.1M (next year). The funding for the current year is being used to order the acrylic and jigs for machining. A proposal to fund the full project for $10M has been submitted, with optimism for approval by middle of next year.
 +
#* Machining of the hemispheres is planned for the next fiscal year (Apr 2009-Mar 2010).
 +
#* The present GlueX plans would require machining the ends of four modules every 2.5 months. Assuming that most hemispheres will take about 3 months for machining, then the two tasks might be able to be interleaved after startup.
 +
#* Jan will send out the link to the information about DEAP for reference.
 +
 
 +
10:00-10:30 Meetng with Department Chair in CEB 238A
 +
* John Beamish introduced himself to the group and welcomed us.
 +
 
 +
10:30-11:00 Meeting with shop supervisor Gilert Lachat in CEB 238A
 +
# Tim and Gilbert reviewed some details of the current drawings
 +
# There is a suggestion for machining an O-ring for light tightness into the sides of the wedge immediately following machining the sides by Ross machining (Regina). Gilbert and Jan thought that this should be a simple operation, but should be checked with Ross.
 +
# Question whether all features on the sides of the Al plates should wait till after machining the sides (i.e. not a the time of machining the plates). Danny (UofR) in coordination with Zisis will inquire with Ross machining about this option.
 +
# Gilbert proposed to prepare all end-plates at the same time (or in large groups), instead of piecemeal before each wedge fabrication.
 +
# Estimate for machining the ends of four modules at a time was about 1 week.
 +
# Zisis: raised the question as to whether we need to wrap each module with Al support tape.
 +
# Elke: Requested that Gilbert prepare a spread sheet with all pieces and machining steps needed as preparation (jigs, Al plates, bars for mounting, ...) for the module production. Especially time and manpower estimates should be included, so that this information can be folded into our schedule.
 +
# All EH&S issues need to be addressed in preparation for the machining of the 49th module. (Note that the machining of the prototypes was conducted in another building where with the machine shop having its own ventilation system).
 +
# Estimate to build a new swaging machine is 4-6 weeks. However, there is some discussion as to whether a second swaging is needed.
 +
# In the case of scheduling conflicts with DEAP, Ross Machining will be asked whether they could machine the ends of the modules (as well as the sides). Zisis proposes to let Ross machine off the end of the prototype to check final finish. Gilbert: Machining the ends simply requires the correct tooling including 'wipers' to produce a good finish.
 +
# Are the time estimates in the current schedule to build a second press correct? When is the second press needed?
 +
 
 +
11:00-12:00 Tour of facilities used in BCAL construction
 +
 
 +
12:00-13:00 Lunch with the chair
 +
 
 +
14:00-16:00 Discussion on MOU and planning issues in CEB 238A
 +
* Cathie Gordey and Melissa Dean of the Research services offices participated in the conversation regarding MOUs
 +
 
 +
# One concern from Cathie was that DOE does not allow "Foreign Interests" (e.g. a Canadian Institution) to share in intellectual property. They have had previous interactions with Livermore and encountered issues in this regard (in the context of other departments). It was pointed out that JLab operates under a JSA contract with the DOE, which would determine any legal details. Our lawyers have approved the language which is in the current MOU. Livermore might also have stricter guidelines than JLab as it is a weapons lab.
 +
# The proposed method of managing the project would be to create an account (with subcategories for reporting). This account would likely have a 15% overhead for all activities.
 +
# Material transfer agreement (with Tech Edmonton), likely included as an appendix to the MOU needs to be worked out for materials supplied to the fabrication of the modules. (e.g. the fibers and the lead).
 +
# Need to work out the export of modules to the US.
 +
#* It was agreed that UofR would handle all of the import/export of large items (e.g. fibers, lead for input and modules for export) related to the Bcal. This could include items which were "received" by UofR, and dropped shipped to Alberta for use in fabrication of the modules.
 +
 
 +
* After Cathie and Melissa left, several topics were discussed
 +
 
 +
# Hiring of personnel
 +
#* Rates for students, both COOP and Industrial Internships need to be obtained.
 +
#* Jim will obtain specific rates for Alberta
 +
#* George/Zisis will obtain current rates for Regina. Previous rates were $2000 to $2300 per month per student, depending on grade level and experience.
 +
#* Overhead rates for the University of Regina are estimated to be ~20%, but George will obtain specific rates to be used in the MOU.
 +
# Transportation
 +
#* Zisis will obtain the estimated shipping costs (from Reimer shipping company)
 +
#* The construction manager will be responsible for organizing and coordinating the shipping of modules from Alberta to Regina.
 +
#* need to write specifications for shipping
 +
# Discussion of crating
 +
#* Suggestion to include a g-force meter inside truck during transport
 +
#* Significant crating will be needed.
 +
#* Crates should be easily opened and a resealed for custom officers during shipping to the US.
 +
# Machine shop costs at the University of Alberta
 +
#* Currently the machinists are paid from other sources.
 +
#* The nominal machining cost is $5/hour. It will increase to $10/hour next April, and likely go to $15/hour soon thereafter. Jim suggested that for budgetary purposes one should use the $15/hour figure.
 +
#* These charge also apply to the electrical shop operation.
 +
# Swaging machines. Do we need 2 swaging machines? A single machine could serve the entire project.
 +
#* The room reserved for swaging might be very tight for two production lines.
 +
#* Could one instead simply have sufficient spares for repairing a single machine?
 +
#* Lead handling by students:  A satisfactory procedures and personal protective equipment (full body gown and gloves) was developed for fabrication of the prototypes with students. Booties might also be used to keep the floor clean. During the swaging no airborne/dust is created.
 +
#* We note that the ventilation system improvements required for the machining of the modules must be developed separately for that operation.
 +
# Fiber sorting.
 +
#* If the fibers are sorted at UofA, this could be accomplished in a room that is available upstairs. At the moment the room is full of equipment of various kinds, but can easily be cleaned out.
 +
#* It seems better for logistics to do the fiber sorting in the same room the module production is taking place.
 +
#* Elke proposed and it was agreed that the rooms for swaging would be cleared out by Dec 20, and shipment of the swaging machine  to Alberta would take place by Jan 10.
 +
#* Infrastructure needs to be set up at Alberta, clean rooms, build clean room, ....
 +
#* money to finance the setup of the infrastructure comes from where --> investigate with Claus
 +
# Side issue: Zisis has promised to bundle up information obtained on delamination studies and will be sent to Tim for reference.
 +
# Placement of ad for construction manager.
 +
#* We will send the ad for the construction manager to Jim, who will send it on to Alberta HR for comments and suggestions for posting as an ad
 +
#* Zisis: Ads at UofR generally are placed in CAP jobs, IPP, JLab users, CERN.
 +
#* Items that might need to be added to present description are
 +
#** expected travel
 +
#** reports
 +
#** yearly renewals subject to funding
 +
#* Salary scale a UofA needs to be consistent with internal HR rules.
 +
# Ads for COOP students. It is not too soon to start drafts of description and requirements for COOP and Industrial Internships to work on the project
 +
# Supervisory roles
 +
#* Jim Pinfold would be the formal supervisor for the construction manager. Annual appraisal system would be summarized by supervisor with input from "customers", especially JLab.
 +
#* Jim/George or Zisis would be co-supervisors for the students. The daily supervision is with the construction manager
 +
# Highest priority task for all parties:
 +
#* Provide all the information needed so that the construction MOUs for Alberta and Regina can be written.
 +
#* it was decided to not proceed with the Alberta collaboration MOU.
 +
 
 +
=Action Item List=
 +
 
 +
==JLab==
 +
# <strike>Send Regina MOU to Jim/Cathie for reference</strike> (Elke, completed)
 +
# <strike>Send draft of construction manager job description to Jim</strike> (Elke, completed)
 +
# Consult with project regarding funding for infrastructure (Elke in consultation with Claus)
 +
# <strike> Start construction MOU based on template </strike> (Elton and Elke).
 +
# Decide on whether we should wrap each module with Al support tape (Tim, discussion all).
 +
# Consider options for cooling/light tightness.
 +
# <strike> Update Bcal drawings </strike>
 +
 
 +
==Alberta==
 +
# Work out plan for machining and handling lead (and any other EH&S issues), especially in the machine shop (Jim)
 +
# <strike>Jan will send out the link to the information about DEAP for reference</strike> (Jan, completed)
 +
# Prepare a spread sheet with all pieces and machining steps needed as preparation (jigs, Al plates, bars for mounting, ...) for the module production. Especially time and manpower estimates should be included, so that this information can be folded into our schedule (Gilbert).
 +
# Are the time estimates in the current schedule to build a second press correct? (Gilbert) When is the second press needed? (discussion, all)
 +
# <strike>Clarify any questions/concerns relative to intellectual property issues in the present MOU.</strike> (Cathie to send paragraph to Elke for review at JLab).
 +
# Clear out rooms for swaging by Dec 20 (Jim).
 +
# <strike>Get feedback from Alberta HR regarding construction manager ad (Jim). </strike> After review and concurrence with Jlab, place ad for construction manager (Jim).
 +
# Develop draft descriptions for COOP or Industrial Interns for the project (construction manager consulting with Jim and Jlab).
 +
# Write specifications for shipping (construction manager).
 +
# Backfit pressure gauges on pistons
 +
# Labor rates for COOP and Industrial Internships at Alberta (Jim)
 +
# <strike> Overhead rates (15% labor, check on procurements). </strike>
 +
 
 +
==Regina==
 +
# <strike> Check with Ross Machining concerning machining features into Al plates immediately after sides are machined </strike> (Danny Kolybaba, UofR machinist and Zisis). <strike> Coordination and questions to Gilbert and Tim. (week of Nov 9) </strike>
 +
# <strike>Contract with Ross Machining to machine off the end of the prototype to check finish.</strike> (Zisis/George, decided there is no need)
 +
# <strike>Send information Triumf draft of interns for COOP.</strike> (Zisis by Nov 8)
 +
# <strike>Labor rates for COOP and Industrial Internships Regina.</strike> (Zisis by Nov 8)
 +
# Overhead rates for UofR labor (George, 20% for education, negotiating lower rate).
 +
# Overhead rates for UofR on procurements (George, 40%?)
 +
# Rates for shipping from Reimer (Zisis, first iteration reported, but checking once again)
 +
# Ship swaging machine to Alberta by Jan 10 (George).
 +
# Check availability of spare parts for swagging machine (and pneumatic press).
 +
# Give detailed list of sizes of lead in the specification
 +
# Based on lead contract and precut lead, ship lead cutter to Alberta.
 +
 
 +
=List of Responsibilities, DRAFT 10/20/08=
 +
 
 +
Below is my understanding of a division of responsibilities which will be a basis for the construction MOUs that were either agreed to and/or need clarification. For ease of working on the MOUs, I have divided the list according to institution. In cases where more than one institution is responsible, the item is duplicated. Feedback and comments are welcome. In many cases, the prime contact will require input from many sources.
 +
 
 +
==UofA==
 +
# Identification, mitigation and documentation of all EH&S (environment, health and safety) issues related to both module fabrication and machining at the University of Alberta (Jim and Gilbert, with input from UofR)
 +
# Quality assurance of module production (construction manager, with input from all "customers").
 +
# Interface of Bcal construction with the DEAP project (Jan).
 +
# Personnel support for the project at Alberta will be as in the draft collaboration MOU (Jim to confirm)
 +
# Space and resources allocated to the project at Alberta will be listed based on the draft collaboration MOU and tours last Wed.
 +
# Contact for construction at U. of Alberta (Jim)
 +
# Posting of construction manager position (Jim), but selection based on Jlab input.
 +
# Construction manager supervisor is Jim, but regular reporting of construction manager directly to JLab (Elke).
 +
# Formal supervisors of student labor for Bcal fabrication are Zisis/George (Regina) and Jim (Alberta). Day-to-day supervision provided by construction manager.
 +
 
 +
==UofR==
 +
# Personnel support for the project at Regina will be as in the signed collaboration MOU.
 +
# Space and resources allocated to the project at Regina will be used to support the testing of fibers, shipping and receiving and testing of completed modules.
 +
# Fibers will be purchased by JLab, but drop shipped to Regina.
 +
# Import of raw materials and export control of fabricated Bcal modules (Regina).
 +
# Contact for construction at U. of Regina (George)
 +
# Formal supervisors of student labor for Bcal fabrication are Zisis/George (Regina) and Jim (Alberta). Day-to-day supervision provided by construction manager.
 +
# Responsibility for machining of the sides of the modules (together with Ross Machining ).
 +
 
 +
==JLab==
 +
# First draft of construction MOUs for Alberta and Regina (Elke and Elton).
 +
# Production of final (signed) construction drawings (Tim)
 +
# Fibers will be purchased by JLab, but drop shipped to Regina.
 +
# Lead will be purchased by JLab, but drop shipped to Alberta.
 +
# Project manager for construction supported by Jlab  (Elke).
 +
# Posting of construction manager position (Jim), but selection based on Jlab input.
 +
# Construction manager supervisor is Jim, but regular reporting of construction manager directly to JLab (Elke).

Latest revision as of 16:13, 24 February 2017

Supporting Documents and References

  1. DRAFT Construction Schedule
  2. Fiber Specifications
  3. DRAFT Lead Specifications
  4. DRAFT Construction Manager Job Description
  5. Collaboration MOU with Regina
  6. DRAFT Fiber QA and acceptance
  7. DRAFT Lead QA and acceptance
  8. DRAFT Construction procedures
  9. Wedge Detail Drawing
  10. Other Links
  11. Co-Op Information from Regina (Media:Co-Op_Regina.docx)

Tentative Schedule

  1. Jlab: Arrival: Tuesday, early afternoon. Departure: Thursday, midday.
    • Meeting between JLab group and R.Soluk in the CPP Board Room CEB 451
  2. UofR: Arrival Tuesday, late afternoon; Departure: Thursday, midday.

Participants

  1. Jefferson Lab
    • Elke Aschenauer, Hall D group Leader
    • Tim Whitlatch, Hall D engineer
    • Elton Smith, Hall D scientist
  2. University of Regina
    • George Lolos, GlueX co-spokesperson
    • Zisis Papandreu, Bcal Working Group
    • Andrei Semenov, Bcal Working Group
  3. University of Alberta
    • Jim Pinfold, GlueX contact
    • Jan Soukup,MRS engineer
    • Richard Soluk, MRS technologist
    • Gilbert Lachat, Head of machine shop
    • Doug Gingrich, CPP Director (on travel)
    • Rene Elio, Associate VP Research (on travel)
    • John Beamish, Physics dept chair
    • Cathie Gordey, Research Services Office
    • Melissa Dean, Research Services Office

Rough Agenda

  1. Maps/Information about UofA
  2. Jim will prepare an agenda by tomorrow afternoon.

Tues

Meet in the Board Room of the Centre for Particle Physics (Room 451 on the 4th floor of the CEB (Civil and Electrical Engineering Building))

  1. 4:00 pm schedule meeting with Richard Soluk
  2. Dinner (JLab and UofR)

Wed

  1. 9:00-9:15 Welcome in CEB 451
  2. 9:15-9:50 Preliminary discussions in CEB 451. Move to Room CEB 238A (main office meeting room)
  3. 10:00-10:30 Meetng with Department Chair in CEB 238A
  4. 10:30-11:00 Meeting with shop supervisor Gilert Lachat in CEB 238A
  5. 11:00-12:00 Tour of facilities used in BCAL construction
  6. 12:00-13:00 Lunch with the chair
  7. 14:00-16:00 Discussion on MOU and planning issues in CEB 238A - Cathie Gordey of the Research services offices will join us at 2:00 pm
  8. 18:00 Drinks and dinner at the faculty club.

Agenda Items (random order)

  1. Construction manager
  2. Review of schedule
    • Sequence of events
    • Receipt/QA of fibers
    • Receipt/QA and swaging of lead
    • Production
    • QA of module production
    • Shipping/receiving
    • Reporting
  3. Quality assurance
  4. Space allocation
  5. Hiring, supervising hourly labor
  6. Construction MOUs with UofR and UofA

Minutes

Attending: See participant list above.

9:00-9:15 Welcome in CEB 451

  • Jim welcomed and introduced everyone.

9:15-9:50 Preliminary discussions in CEB 451. Move to Room CEB 238A (main office meeting room)

  1. Elke outlined the main task of the day as being a clarification of responsibilities for the project.
  2. Jim reviewed the Alberta staff on the project.
    • Jan Soukup (20-25%), engineering concerns. Jan's primary task is the underground facility.
    • Richard Soluk (30%), MRS technologist.
    • Jim will address overall concerns, but no involved in the direct operations. Coordinate priorities, reports to MRS grants.
  3. EH&S concerns relative to handling of lead
    • The machine shop is part of the overall building ventilation system and needs to be separated out.
    • From the project point-of-view, we need documentation to show that the activities at Alberta follow their own EH&S procedures, as established by Canadian regulations, etc.
    • The lead swaging by students does not create airborne lead (dust) and therefore protective covering (including gloves) is sufficient for safe handling.
    • It is planned to check all the procedures used for the prototype production are still applicable
  4. Discussion of 'DEAP' underground facility and impact on project
    • Challenging machining project consisting of two hemispheres of acrylic, requiring machining in both the concave and convex parts of the hemisphere. Project requires the piece to be machined in a single setup of the machine.
    • Note that the detector requires only two hemispheres, but the project is planning on machining two additional hemispheres (four total), considering the difficulty of the operation.
    • Fabrication also requires large jigs to be fabricated to support of the machining of the hemisphere.
    • Estimates for the duration of this activity were about 3 mo. (Gilbert), to 6 mo. (conservative estimate for first hemisphere, which might take longer).
    • Aksel Hallin, physicist on the project, joined us later in the afternoon to update us on the schedule:
    • Present for the project from NSERC (continual development) was about $ 0.3M (last year), $0.6M (this year), and $1.1M (next year). The funding for the current year is being used to order the acrylic and jigs for machining. A proposal to fund the full project for $10M has been submitted, with optimism for approval by middle of next year.
    • Machining of the hemispheres is planned for the next fiscal year (Apr 2009-Mar 2010).
    • The present GlueX plans would require machining the ends of four modules every 2.5 months. Assuming that most hemispheres will take about 3 months for machining, then the two tasks might be able to be interleaved after startup.
    • Jan will send out the link to the information about DEAP for reference.

10:00-10:30 Meetng with Department Chair in CEB 238A

  • John Beamish introduced himself to the group and welcomed us.

10:30-11:00 Meeting with shop supervisor Gilert Lachat in CEB 238A

  1. Tim and Gilbert reviewed some details of the current drawings
  2. There is a suggestion for machining an O-ring for light tightness into the sides of the wedge immediately following machining the sides by Ross machining (Regina). Gilbert and Jan thought that this should be a simple operation, but should be checked with Ross.
  3. Question whether all features on the sides of the Al plates should wait till after machining the sides (i.e. not a the time of machining the plates). Danny (UofR) in coordination with Zisis will inquire with Ross machining about this option.
  4. Gilbert proposed to prepare all end-plates at the same time (or in large groups), instead of piecemeal before each wedge fabrication.
  5. Estimate for machining the ends of four modules at a time was about 1 week.
  6. Zisis: raised the question as to whether we need to wrap each module with Al support tape.
  7. Elke: Requested that Gilbert prepare a spread sheet with all pieces and machining steps needed as preparation (jigs, Al plates, bars for mounting, ...) for the module production. Especially time and manpower estimates should be included, so that this information can be folded into our schedule.
  8. All EH&S issues need to be addressed in preparation for the machining of the 49th module. (Note that the machining of the prototypes was conducted in another building where with the machine shop having its own ventilation system).
  9. Estimate to build a new swaging machine is 4-6 weeks. However, there is some discussion as to whether a second swaging is needed.
  10. In the case of scheduling conflicts with DEAP, Ross Machining will be asked whether they could machine the ends of the modules (as well as the sides). Zisis proposes to let Ross machine off the end of the prototype to check final finish. Gilbert: Machining the ends simply requires the correct tooling including 'wipers' to produce a good finish.
  11. Are the time estimates in the current schedule to build a second press correct? When is the second press needed?

11:00-12:00 Tour of facilities used in BCAL construction

12:00-13:00 Lunch with the chair

14:00-16:00 Discussion on MOU and planning issues in CEB 238A

  • Cathie Gordey and Melissa Dean of the Research services offices participated in the conversation regarding MOUs
  1. One concern from Cathie was that DOE does not allow "Foreign Interests" (e.g. a Canadian Institution) to share in intellectual property. They have had previous interactions with Livermore and encountered issues in this regard (in the context of other departments). It was pointed out that JLab operates under a JSA contract with the DOE, which would determine any legal details. Our lawyers have approved the language which is in the current MOU. Livermore might also have stricter guidelines than JLab as it is a weapons lab.
  2. The proposed method of managing the project would be to create an account (with subcategories for reporting). This account would likely have a 15% overhead for all activities.
  3. Material transfer agreement (with Tech Edmonton), likely included as an appendix to the MOU needs to be worked out for materials supplied to the fabrication of the modules. (e.g. the fibers and the lead).
  4. Need to work out the export of modules to the US.
    • It was agreed that UofR would handle all of the import/export of large items (e.g. fibers, lead for input and modules for export) related to the Bcal. This could include items which were "received" by UofR, and dropped shipped to Alberta for use in fabrication of the modules.
  • After Cathie and Melissa left, several topics were discussed
  1. Hiring of personnel
    • Rates for students, both COOP and Industrial Internships need to be obtained.
    • Jim will obtain specific rates for Alberta
    • George/Zisis will obtain current rates for Regina. Previous rates were $2000 to $2300 per month per student, depending on grade level and experience.
    • Overhead rates for the University of Regina are estimated to be ~20%, but George will obtain specific rates to be used in the MOU.
  2. Transportation
    • Zisis will obtain the estimated shipping costs (from Reimer shipping company)
    • The construction manager will be responsible for organizing and coordinating the shipping of modules from Alberta to Regina.
    • need to write specifications for shipping
  3. Discussion of crating
    • Suggestion to include a g-force meter inside truck during transport
    • Significant crating will be needed.
    • Crates should be easily opened and a resealed for custom officers during shipping to the US.
  4. Machine shop costs at the University of Alberta
    • Currently the machinists are paid from other sources.
    • The nominal machining cost is $5/hour. It will increase to $10/hour next April, and likely go to $15/hour soon thereafter. Jim suggested that for budgetary purposes one should use the $15/hour figure.
    • These charge also apply to the electrical shop operation.
  5. Swaging machines. Do we need 2 swaging machines? A single machine could serve the entire project.
    • The room reserved for swaging might be very tight for two production lines.
    • Could one instead simply have sufficient spares for repairing a single machine?
    • Lead handling by students: A satisfactory procedures and personal protective equipment (full body gown and gloves) was developed for fabrication of the prototypes with students. Booties might also be used to keep the floor clean. During the swaging no airborne/dust is created.
    • We note that the ventilation system improvements required for the machining of the modules must be developed separately for that operation.
  6. Fiber sorting.
    • If the fibers are sorted at UofA, this could be accomplished in a room that is available upstairs. At the moment the room is full of equipment of various kinds, but can easily be cleaned out.
    • It seems better for logistics to do the fiber sorting in the same room the module production is taking place.
    • Elke proposed and it was agreed that the rooms for swaging would be cleared out by Dec 20, and shipment of the swaging machine to Alberta would take place by Jan 10.
    • Infrastructure needs to be set up at Alberta, clean rooms, build clean room, ....
    • money to finance the setup of the infrastructure comes from where --> investigate with Claus
  7. Side issue: Zisis has promised to bundle up information obtained on delamination studies and will be sent to Tim for reference.
  8. Placement of ad for construction manager.
    • We will send the ad for the construction manager to Jim, who will send it on to Alberta HR for comments and suggestions for posting as an ad
    • Zisis: Ads at UofR generally are placed in CAP jobs, IPP, JLab users, CERN.
    • Items that might need to be added to present description are
      • expected travel
      • reports
      • yearly renewals subject to funding
    • Salary scale a UofA needs to be consistent with internal HR rules.
  9. Ads for COOP students. It is not too soon to start drafts of description and requirements for COOP and Industrial Internships to work on the project
  10. Supervisory roles
    • Jim Pinfold would be the formal supervisor for the construction manager. Annual appraisal system would be summarized by supervisor with input from "customers", especially JLab.
    • Jim/George or Zisis would be co-supervisors for the students. The daily supervision is with the construction manager
  11. Highest priority task for all parties:
    • Provide all the information needed so that the construction MOUs for Alberta and Regina can be written.
    • it was decided to not proceed with the Alberta collaboration MOU.

Action Item List

JLab

  1. Send Regina MOU to Jim/Cathie for reference (Elke, completed)
  2. Send draft of construction manager job description to Jim (Elke, completed)
  3. Consult with project regarding funding for infrastructure (Elke in consultation with Claus)
  4. Start construction MOU based on template (Elton and Elke).
  5. Decide on whether we should wrap each module with Al support tape (Tim, discussion all).
  6. Consider options for cooling/light tightness.
  7. Update Bcal drawings

Alberta

  1. Work out plan for machining and handling lead (and any other EH&S issues), especially in the machine shop (Jim)
  2. Jan will send out the link to the information about DEAP for reference (Jan, completed)
  3. Prepare a spread sheet with all pieces and machining steps needed as preparation (jigs, Al plates, bars for mounting, ...) for the module production. Especially time and manpower estimates should be included, so that this information can be folded into our schedule (Gilbert).
  4. Are the time estimates in the current schedule to build a second press correct? (Gilbert) When is the second press needed? (discussion, all)
  5. Clarify any questions/concerns relative to intellectual property issues in the present MOU. (Cathie to send paragraph to Elke for review at JLab).
  6. Clear out rooms for swaging by Dec 20 (Jim).
  7. Get feedback from Alberta HR regarding construction manager ad (Jim). After review and concurrence with Jlab, place ad for construction manager (Jim).
  8. Develop draft descriptions for COOP or Industrial Interns for the project (construction manager consulting with Jim and Jlab).
  9. Write specifications for shipping (construction manager).
  10. Backfit pressure gauges on pistons
  11. Labor rates for COOP and Industrial Internships at Alberta (Jim)
  12. Overhead rates (15% labor, check on procurements).

Regina

  1. Check with Ross Machining concerning machining features into Al plates immediately after sides are machined (Danny Kolybaba, UofR machinist and Zisis). Coordination and questions to Gilbert and Tim. (week of Nov 9)
  2. Contract with Ross Machining to machine off the end of the prototype to check finish. (Zisis/George, decided there is no need)
  3. Send information Triumf draft of interns for COOP. (Zisis by Nov 8)
  4. Labor rates for COOP and Industrial Internships Regina. (Zisis by Nov 8)
  5. Overhead rates for UofR labor (George, 20% for education, negotiating lower rate).
  6. Overhead rates for UofR on procurements (George, 40%?)
  7. Rates for shipping from Reimer (Zisis, first iteration reported, but checking once again)
  8. Ship swaging machine to Alberta by Jan 10 (George).
  9. Check availability of spare parts for swagging machine (and pneumatic press).
  10. Give detailed list of sizes of lead in the specification
  11. Based on lead contract and precut lead, ship lead cutter to Alberta.

List of Responsibilities, DRAFT 10/20/08

Below is my understanding of a division of responsibilities which will be a basis for the construction MOUs that were either agreed to and/or need clarification. For ease of working on the MOUs, I have divided the list according to institution. In cases where more than one institution is responsible, the item is duplicated. Feedback and comments are welcome. In many cases, the prime contact will require input from many sources.

UofA

  1. Identification, mitigation and documentation of all EH&S (environment, health and safety) issues related to both module fabrication and machining at the University of Alberta (Jim and Gilbert, with input from UofR)
  2. Quality assurance of module production (construction manager, with input from all "customers").
  3. Interface of Bcal construction with the DEAP project (Jan).
  4. Personnel support for the project at Alberta will be as in the draft collaboration MOU (Jim to confirm)
  5. Space and resources allocated to the project at Alberta will be listed based on the draft collaboration MOU and tours last Wed.
  6. Contact for construction at U. of Alberta (Jim)
  7. Posting of construction manager position (Jim), but selection based on Jlab input.
  8. Construction manager supervisor is Jim, but regular reporting of construction manager directly to JLab (Elke).
  9. Formal supervisors of student labor for Bcal fabrication are Zisis/George (Regina) and Jim (Alberta). Day-to-day supervision provided by construction manager.

UofR

  1. Personnel support for the project at Regina will be as in the signed collaboration MOU.
  2. Space and resources allocated to the project at Regina will be used to support the testing of fibers, shipping and receiving and testing of completed modules.
  3. Fibers will be purchased by JLab, but drop shipped to Regina.
  4. Import of raw materials and export control of fabricated Bcal modules (Regina).
  5. Contact for construction at U. of Regina (George)
  6. Formal supervisors of student labor for Bcal fabrication are Zisis/George (Regina) and Jim (Alberta). Day-to-day supervision provided by construction manager.
  7. Responsibility for machining of the sides of the modules (together with Ross Machining ).

JLab

  1. First draft of construction MOUs for Alberta and Regina (Elke and Elton).
  2. Production of final (signed) construction drawings (Tim)
  3. Fibers will be purchased by JLab, but drop shipped to Regina.
  4. Lead will be purchased by JLab, but drop shipped to Alberta.
  5. Project manager for construction supported by Jlab (Elke).
  6. Posting of construction manager position (Jim), but selection based on Jlab input.
  7. Construction manager supervisor is Jim, but regular reporting of construction manager directly to JLab (Elke).