April 2, 2015 PID Upgrade

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Meeting Information

GlueX PID Upgrade Meeting
Thursday, April 2, 2015
12.00 pm, EDT
For those people at Jefferson Lab, the meeting will be in room F326

Connection Using Bluejeans

  1. To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: (bjn.vc) and enter the meeting ID: 846453895.
  2. To join via a Web Browser, go to the page [1] https://bluejeans.com/846453895 .
  3. To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 846453895
    • US or Canada: +1 408 740 7256 or
    • US or Canada: +1 888 240 2560
  4. More information on connecting to bluejeans is available.


  1. Announcements
  2. Status of ongoing R&D
  3. Planning for October review and Technical Design Report (All)
  4. Collaboration with GSI/PANDA and the EIC DIRC meeting last weekend Slides presented (Justin)


  1. Status of ongoing R&D
    • Mechanical design and bar box transport (Matt)
      • Window load tests are complete.
        • No evidence that window or wedge will break under 200% load in vertical orientation.
        • However, still planning to use horizontal orientation to minimize risk of breakage. John working on mechanical design.
      • Shipping consultant from Rock-It Cargo visited last week.
        • They are designing "museum quality" shipping crate with John and will fabricate and ship to IU in next ~2 weeks. Single box costs $5-10k.
      • After completing work on shipping crate, will write a summary report on findings with complete cost estimate.
    • Focusing optics and mirror status (John)
      • First step in mirror fabrication for large flat mirror complete, and in hand at Bates.
      • Quotes complete for 3 of 4 steps, and last one being finalized.
      • Planning for tests to characterize mirror properties at Bates.
    • Readout (Justin)
      • Discussed general plan for readout using CLAS12 RICH MaPMT option.
      • Lead time on MaPMTs from Hamamatsu may be longer due to order from GSI RICH project.
      • Need to consider effects of solenoid fringe field and field changes from the DIRC mechanical structure, including possible shielding options.
      • Since MaPMT cost is a large fraction of the project budget, should consider optimizations in the 3-segment mirror focusing to reduce required PMT coverage.
  2. Planning for October review and Technical Design Report (All)
    • Will have an informal review internally before the formal Jlab review.
    • Need a plan for milestones in preparing the TDR: outline, first draft of sections, sections complete, final edits, etc.
    • Justin will make an area in SVN to get things started.
  3. Collaboration with GSI/PANDA and the EIC DIRC meeting last weekend
    • Discussed some of the proposed contributions from the GSI group, and agreed this is a reasonable place to start.
    • Justin will follow up with Joe, and shoot for having a draft service statement by the May collaboration meeting (5/11)
  4. Plan to have meetings bi-weekly again on Friday afternoons