Aug 2, 2011 Calorimetry

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Teleconference Time: 11:00 a.m. EST'

  • ESNET (Number is 8542553) and EVO session (GlueX Calorimetry meeting room)
  • JLab Phone: in CC F326 is 757-269-6337; JLab Phone in CC L207 is 757-269-7084
  • Athens Phone: in Christina's office is 011-30-210-727-6947
  • Regina Phone: in LB228 is 306-585-4204
  • Phone connection only upon request.
    • +1-866-740-1260 : US+Canada
    • +1-303-248-0285 : International
    • then enter participant code: 3421244# (remember the "#").
    • or (and code without the #)

Items for followup from previous meeting(s)

  1. Monitoring
    • Zisis will remind George to send Christina some pricing information for testing of monitoring boards.

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Review of Action Items
  3. Monitoring
  4. FCAL (notes from Matt)
    1. Construction Status: mechanical, bases
  5. BCAL
    1. Construction Status: builds, fibre QA
  6. Simulations
  7. Beam tests in Hall B (fall 2011)?pdf (Kei)
  8. Any other business


Attending: Elton, Eugene,Tim,Beni,Lubomir (Jlab); Kei, Matt (IU); Andrei (UofR)

  1. Announcements
  2. Review of Action Items
  3. Monitoring
    • Christine sent in the response to the JLab RFP for the cal monitoring system on Friday.
  4. FCAL
    1. Started cutting metal for support frame in machine shop
    2. Procurement for 2500 bases proceeding well
      • Expect first delivery at the end of the month
    3. Test stand for bases
      • Kei is getting test stand up and running and reviewing proceedures
      • PMTs were tested years ago, rechecking
      • First verify procedures and compare to documentation
      • Glue light guides to pmts, wrap and then test in groups of 30; archive test data
    4. Need to interface calibration sequences with slow control system
      • May wish to bring this up at an online meeting to clarify guidelines
      • Sent a CAEN-Ethernet and PS this week to Hovanes
    5. Interlock system for dark box
      • Elton: Likely use the hardware interlock from power supplies.
      • Lubomir: suggested to also monitor temperature and humidity and add to interlock
      • Matt: May add this information to the CAEN controller, so that any trips can be diagnosed quickly.
  5. BCAL Progress
    1. Module 43 build will finish tomorrow; Module 44 build will finish on Friday; on schedule to complete 45 and 46 by August 31.
    2. Machining of Modules 37-40 is done. Inspection will take place tomorrow (Aug. 3) and pickup for the shipment is on August 5 with arrival at JLab on August 8.
    3. Fibre QA of shipment 46: nominal atten len, Npe=7.45 +/- 0.48.
    4. Fibre Shipment 27 arrived on July 29; crate was damaged, fibres boxes inside were ok.
  6. Simulations
  7. Beam tests in Hall B (fall 2011)?pdf (Kei)
    1. Considering using the tagger alcove with more space
    2. Elton: check the multiple scattering in the tagger counters and box
    3. Tentative size is 5x5 array. Lubomir mentioned that a 3x3 array is sufficient for energy measurement, a 5x5 useful for position measurements.
    4. Detector about 1 m long, 10lbs/block
    5. Eugene: noted that it is difficult to calibrate the edges of array. Will need to move the detector left/right for calibration
    6. Eugene: there is a counter of strips in Hall A that could be used to define the vertical position of impact. This is connected to a multi-anode pmt, which could be read out with the data.
    7. Accelerator schedule for 3/4/5 pass beam is Nov 19-Dec 22 and Jan 5-May 13.
    8. Next step is to develop a conceptual design for the support structure.
  8. Any other business
    1. Will Brooks sent a short progress report from USM:
      • Making good progress toward light-based tests this week. Currently trying to reduce leakage currents on the boards, which are mounted in the dark box
      • Expect a large shipment of the new-design boards next week.