BCAL Reconstruction Meeting 2013-12-10

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Teleconference Time: 11:00 a.m. EDT

  • ESNET (Number is 8542553) and EVO session (GlueX Calorimetry meeting room)
  • Phone connection only upon request.
    • +1-866-740-1260 : US+Canada
    • +1-303-248-0285 : International
    • then enter participant code: 3421244# (remember the "#").
    • or www.readytalk.com (and code without the #)

Participant Direct Lines

  • JLab Phone: in CC F326 is 757-269-6460 (usual room)
  • JLab Phone in CC L207 is 757-269-7084
  • Phone in the Regina Video-conference Suite is 306-585-4204


  1. BCAL Reconstruction Issues
  2. BCAL Reconstruction Algorithms
  3. Will's reconstructed energy info

Action Items

  1. Introduce FPGA timing algorithm to derive hit times from fADC
  2. Smoothing of spectra and filling of 2D histos (Andrei and David)
  3. "Curvature effect": incorporate Andrei's and Irina's parametrization of this effect into the KLOE and IU codes and establish that this closes the gap in cluster handling between the two codes. (Who?)
  4. Start developing BDT variables for cluster handling in the BCAL Reconstruction. (All)
  5. Constants in code should be transferred to database; list of parameters for ccdb storage.


  1. Announcements
  2. Action Items
  3. Updates
  4. Any other business


Attendees: Elton, David, Yi, Beni, Mark (JLab), Will (CMU), Andrei, Zisis (Regina)

  1. Announcements: None.
  2. Action Items:
    1. The changes in the data format discussed over the past two weeks within the Calorimetry Group are not trivial to implement on a short time scale by the Electronics group. Such changes can have a ripple effect in the programming in other parts of the firmware. The current priority is to work on the fADC125 by importing things from the fADC250. There is a new person working on this. Adequate time is required to implement and debug the code, in terms of adding the pedestal value, pulse and pulse amplitude information: for example, in order to use the firmware for a fall engineering run, it should be in place by around March. The Electronics Group will probably settle on more than one version of the firmware, as the fADC250 will be used by all Halls and they have different requirements. On a related note, the f250 algorithm from the IU NIM article has not been yet implemented in our software. Also, Naomi if working on the f125.
    2. David confirmed that Andrei's files seem to be intact and that he could read/plot them with ROOT. He will look at them more closely in a few days, and give feedback to Andrei if something more is needed.
    3. Giovanni or another UofR student and/or George Vasileiadis will work on this
    4. A starting point for the BDT effort would be to import Will's variables and custom/manual cuts into the BDT, verify that things look reasonable and then proceed to add other variables.
    5. Will asked whether we keep/store our current (preliminary?) corrections into the db, or whether we should wait for the code to become more stable (e.g. as a result of Andrei's curvature (E,theta) table and philosophy)? Elton suggested that we first assemble the complete picture of the number of constants into a list, and refine it will working on modifying the code. Mark suggested that we validate things with MC before acquiring data, and then refine/add as data comes in. David reminded us the the Software Review recommended that we attempt to use simulated data for our calibration procedure and to derive calibration constants. This project carries an issue of manpower.
      • We decided a) to make a list of constants, b) to determine what needs to be done to determine these constants, c) derive constants using cosmics (simulated and real), d) derive constants using data (fake and real) and check pi0.
  3. Updates: none
  4. Any other business: none