Controls Meeting 30-Jun-2011
- Minutes from previous meeting 16-Jun-2011
- Should we move this meeting and/or combine it with coil test meeting?
- Solenoid controls in the hall - Josh, Elliott
- Strategy for use of PLC vs IOC vs mixed system - Elliott
- what criteria push us one way or the other?
- E.g: gas system, CAN system, FDC cooling, target, magnets, goniometer, HV/LV channels, crate control, etc.
- Controls test stand, BOY, etc. - Hovanes
- Mantis task tracker - we are using this for Controls
9:30 AM Thurs 30-Jun-2011 CC F326
Thurs 14-Jul-2011 9:30am CC F326
Attendees: Elliott W, Scot S, Mark I, Beni Z, Josh B, Mark S, Yi Q.
Solenoid Controls in the Hall
- We decided to go to a Ethernet only system (EN2T only) and skip ControlNet.
- greater configuration flexibility.
- eliminates possible need for running copper ControlNet cable from the hall to the counting house.
- Fernando very much wants to minimize such copper connections as they potentially can introduce noise into the electronics.
- cheaper to implement redundant PLC system.
- Josh ordered a "sequence of events" module to help with debugging trips.
- will test this and many other things in the controls test stand
- do we want to monitor circuit breakers?
IOC vs PLC vs Mixed System
Much discussion on relative merits of the various systems. Concerns:
- cost: PC104, etc
- what hardware is needed
- development software costs: time, manpower, licenses
- many other issues...
We are using the Mantis system for task tracking. Everyone needs to log on and register as a new user if you haven't done so already.