GlueX Analysis Workshop 2013
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Location and Time
- 3 Video Recordings of the Workshop
- 4 Summary Talk
- 5 Software and Data from the Workshop
- 6 Agenda
- 7 Photo
- 8 Update Talks Since the Workshop
The purpose of this tutorial/workshop session will be to give an introduction to using the Hall-D analysis tools. It is open to anyone either inside or outside the GlueX collaboration who has an interest in doing physics inside Hall-D. The tutorial will cover the basics of:
- Physics Analysis Framework
- Using Boosted Decision Trees
- Amplitude Analysis using AmpTools
The tutorial will consist of a series of talks with exercises, along with room for questions/discussion.
Location and Time
The tutorial will take place:
DATE: July. 10-11, 2013
TIME: 8:30am to 5:30pm EDT (i.e. JLab time).
LOCATION: CEBAF Center L102 - L104
Registration & Requirements
- Registration Page
- All attendees are required to bring their own laptop to the workshop.
- It must have enough memory (4+ GB RAM preferred) and free hard disk space (~15+ GB) to run a virtual machine, which will be distributed at the workshop.
- It must have VirtualBox installed (v4.2.14 or later): Download VirtualBox
- If you are attending remotely, instructions for obtaining the virtual machine image are below.
To connect from the outside by phone please do the following
1.) ESNET: 8542553
2.) Polycom RealPrescence App for iOS and Android. Call firstname.lastname@example.org
Dial +1-866-740-1260 : US and Canada
Dial +1-303-248-0285 : International
Then use participant code: 3421244# (the # is needed when using the phone) or www.readytalk.com then type access code 3421244 into "join a meeting" (you need java plugin)
4.) Desktop Sharing
You can view the computer desktop in the meeting room at JLab via the web.
- Go to http://esnet.readytalk.com
- In the "join a meeting" box enter the Hall D code: 3421244
- Fill in the participant registration form.
5.) As of January 1, 2013 EVO became SeeVogh and Jefferson Lab has a contract to use it.
To connect via SeeVogh, vist their website at research.seevogh.com. Your old EVO credentials are supposed to work. There will be a room booked for the meeting. To phone into an EVO meeting, from the U.S. call (626) 395-2112 and then enter the EVO meeting code. Instructions for the Phone Bridge to EVO. Skype Bridge to EVO
6.) Please visit the Communications page for some options.
Video Recordings of the Workshop
All of the sessions were recorded. In addition to the audio, the video shows the desktop of the computer used for the presentations, in other words, the slides of the talks and the actions performed during live demos. See the agenda below for the talks contained in each session.
- This talk was given at the October 2013 GlueX Collaboration Meeting: Link
- A detailed wiki providing supplementary materials and solutions to the exercises regarding the workshop is located here.
Software and Data from the Workshop
Acquiring the Virtual Machine
- The virtual machine can be acquired via either the UConn SRM (if you have open science grid (OSG) access) or via JLab.
- The file is very large (over 5 GB), so the download will likely take a long time if you have a slow internet connection (and will likely be fastest if you copy it while on-site at a university).
- UConn SRM (Using the Grid):
- Via Web Browser: Goto https://grinch.phys.uconn.edu:2880/Gluex/test/ and right-click and download the GlueX_Analysis_Workshop.ova file.
- Via srmcp:
- "srmcp srm://grinch.phys.uconn.edu:8443/Gluex/test/GlueX_Analysis_Workshop.ova file:////localdir/GlueX_Analysis_Workshop.ova", where "/localdir" is the full path to the directory you want to download it to.
- Via Web Browser: Goto https://halldweb.jlab.org/dist/ and right-click and download the GlueX_Analysis_Workshop.ova file.
- Via sftp:
- On your own machine, "cd" to the folder you want to download it to.
- "sftp email@example.com" (where "username" is your jlab username)
- "cd /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/dist/"
- "get GlueX_Analysis_Workshop.ova"
Setting up the Virtual Machine
On the virtual machine, before doing the exercises:
- cd $SESSIONS
- svn update
- cd $ANALYSIS_SCRIPTS
- svn update -r11298
This will give you the updated exercise software and analysis plugin generation scripts.
Software (32-bit builds)
- jana v0.6.6
- AmpTools v0.6
- cernlib 2006
- CLHEP v126.96.36.199
- geant v4.9.4
- ROOT v5.34.04
- xerces-c v3.1.1
- ccdb rev 1339
- hdds rev 11151
- sim-recon tag: sim-recon_analysis_ws_2013
- exercises: https://halldsvn.jlab.org/repos/trunk/workshops/analysis_workshop_2013/
Locations on Virtual Machine
- Exercises: $SESSIONS
- Data: $GLUEX_DATA
- Analysis plugin generation scripts: $ANALYSIS_SCRIPTS
- n3pi: https://halldsvn.jlab.org/repos/trunk/home/pmatt/plugins/n3pi/
- K*0 K0 Skim: https://halldsvn.jlab.org/repos/trunk/home/pmatt/plugins/ksz_k0_skim/
- K*0 K0 Analysis: https://halldsvn.jlab.org/repos/trunk/home/pmatt/plugins/ksz_k0/
- The full n3pi analysis data (mcSamples/) and the exercise data (exercises/) are available on the UConn SRM (Using the Grid):
- UConn SRM via web: https://grinch.phys.uconn.edu:2880/Gluex/workshop.7-10-2013/
- UConn SRM via command line: srm://grinch.phys.uconn.edu/Gluex/workshop.7-10-2013/
- Note: to navigate a Prezi:
- Use the arrow keys to transition between frames
- Use your mouse to transition to a frame (click on a frame outline to zoom to it)
- Use your mouse to pan, zoom, etc.
- Click the "Home" button on the right to zoom out to the beginning.
Agenda: Wednesday July 10, 2013
Each session contains talk(s) + exercise(s).
- 8:30 Introduction and Monte Carlo (125) --- Chair: Paul Mattione
- 10:35 Coffee (25)
- 11:00 JANA/DANA Overview (65) --- Chair: Justin Stevens
- 12:05 Lunch (60)
- 1:05 Introduction to Analyses in DANA (130) --- Chair: Matt Shepherd
- 3:15 Coffee (25)
- 3:40 DANA Analysis Actions (110) --- Chair: Justin Stevens
- 5:30 Adjourn
Agenda: Thursday July 11, 2013
Each session contains talk(s) + exercise(s).
- 8:30 ROOT and Full Exercise (120) --- Chair: Matt Shepherd
- 10:30 Coffee (20)
- 10:50 Boosted Decision Tree Introduction (90) --- Chair: Paul Mattione
- 12:20 Lunch (70)
- 1:30 Boosted Decision Tree Details (75) --- Chair: Matt Shepherd
- 2:45 Coffee (25)
- 3:10 Amplitude Analysis (115) --- Chair: Justin Stevens
- 5:05 Adjourn