GlueX Offline Meeting, April 6, 2010
GlueX Offline Meeting
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
2:00 pm EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center F326/7
To connect by telephone:
- 800-377-8846 : US
- 888-276-7715 : Canada
- 302-709-8424 : International
- enter participant code: 77438230# (remember the "#")
- ESNet: 8542553
- Meeting URL: http://evo.caltech.edu/evoGate/koala.jnlp?meeting=eleBevvlvDatasaeIl
- Phone Bridge ID: 56083
Talks can be deposited in the directory
/group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2010-04 on the JLab CUE (you have to be a member of the "halld" Unix group). This directory is accessible from the web at https://halldweb.jlab.org/talks/2010-04/ .
- Review of minutes from the last meeting: all
- Filtering events from bggen: all
- BCAL Reconstruction: David
- DANA-to-EVIO conversion: Elliott
- FCAL: gamma vs pi+ reconstruction: Mihajlo
- Action Item Review: all
- IU: Mihajlo Kornicer, Ryan Mitchell, Matt Shepherd
- JLab: Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Lubomir Pentchev, Elton Smith, Sascha Somov, Simon Taylor, Elliott Wolin, Beni Zihlmann
- New src release, sim-recon-2010-03-29: Mark mentioned that this was the first release using the new sim-recon structure and the first using JANA 0.6.1. No problems have been reported thus far.
- "RedHat 5.3" link to "CentOS" for JLab builds: Mark reported that this has been done for existing releases. It still needs to be automated.
- New HOWTO add private code to a DANA application: Mark and David wrote one. See the email announcement. During discussion we identified two new HOWTO's that we would like to see:
- HOWTO enable multiple threads: David will write this one.
- HOWTO write thread-safe code: Elliott suggested this; he will help David write one.
- JANA 0.6.1 required for new code: David warned us that due to check-in's done this week, JANA 0.6.1 is required to build the latest version of sim-recon.
- Make system fixed to re-make on include file changes: In trying to fix another feature, Mark broke this basic function of the depends files. He has fixed it now. It had been broken for several months.
Review of Minutes from the Last Meeting
They were reviewed; no notable comments were offered.
Filtering events from bggen
This was a recent thread on the offline mailing list. Will Levine was "looking for a way to filter out all events of a specific final state from bggen/pythia output." He got several responses from several collaborators describing various methods. David remarked, and we all agreed, that this was an example of successful communication within the group.
David gave us a succinct outline of the reconstruction algorithm we have been using for the BCAL including a historical time-line of its genesis at KLOE and GlueX-based development, along with relevant references. This paralleled the presentation by Mihajlo at the last meeting on FCAL reconstruction. See his slides for details.
Sascha raised the question of who is responsible for this code. Mark reported that this issue will be discussed at the next Calorimeter Meeting, on Thursday, April 15.
Elliott presented his recent efforts, in collaboration with David, on a plug-in that serializes a selection of DANA objects in EVIO format. The selection only reflects current state of development; more classes can be added. The latest version allows output of DANA associated objects (more specifically, the associations themselves). See his slides for details.
In the discussion, Mark remarked at the recent development seems to be evolving toward an HDDM-like feature set and if so he wondered why not just use HDDM, to conserve manpower. Elliott stated that it makes sense in the context of the online to keep things in the realm of EVIO, and output of the level 3 farm, which would be generated from DANA objects, would therefore need to be expressed in EVIO.
Action Item Review
We went over the list. Some items need to be marked as done. Some of us were reminded of things we have to do.
We had a short discussion of tracking action items in an issue-tracking software system rather than on a wiki page. The time has probably come to do this.
FCAL reconstruction update
We did not have time to get to this item. Mihajlo will present this material at the next Physics Meeting.
New Action Items
- Automate links from CentOS5 to RHEL5, 64-bit. -> Mark
- HOWTO enable multiple threads-> David
- HOWTO write thread-safe code-> Elliott, David
- Explore action item tracking software. -> Mark