GlueX Offline Meeting, June 15, 2010

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Offline Meeting
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
2:00 pm EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center F326/7


To connect by telephone:

  1. dial:
    • 800-377-8846 : US
    • 888-276-7715 : Canada
    • 302-709-8424 : International
  2. enter participant code: 77438230# (remember the "#")

Video Conferencing


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2010-06 on the JLab CUE (you have to be a member of the "halld" Unix group). This directory is accessible from the web at .


  1. Announcements
    1. List of tagged releases: new wiki page
    2. t0 in hdgeant: new wiki page
  2. Review of minutes from the last meeting: all
  3. GlueX Software Workshop: David
  4. Bug/issue tracking software: Elliott
  5. Test of JANA on a 48-core machine: David
  6. Standard math library, matrices, vectors, etc.: all
  7. Action Item Review: all
    • Coding conventions page needs revision, need a volunteer to do the mods


JLab: Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Sascha Somov, Simon Taylor, Elliott Wolin, Beni Zihlmann


  1. We looked at the new Sim-Recon Tagged Releases wiki page.
  2. We reviewed Richard's recent wiki page on How HDGeant defines time-zero for physics events.

Review of minutes from the last meeting

We went over them. No significant comments.

GlueX Software Workshop

David told us that he has called an organizational meeting on Thursday. Ole Hansen, Ed Brash and David Heddle will attend. Simon, Beni, Sascha may also show up.

Bug/issue tracking software

The system is up and seems to be working. Elliott solicited feedback from non-JLab collaborators and got some: system looks OK, but there are too many emails. Elliott explained that that was kind of on purpose for the test.

We will deploy the "real" version, with a less verbose email configuration, for use and testing among a small group.

Test of JANA on a 48-core machine

David showed some nice results he got from running multi-threaded analysis code on a demo unit that the Lab has obtained recently. See his slides for details. Scaling of performance with large number of cores looks very, very promising. Some versions of the analysis code seem to scale better than others in this initial look. More work is needed to understand the behavior.

Standard math library, matrices, vectors, etc.

We discussed whether there was a need to pick a standard package for standard mathematical objects, much like CERNLIB in the old days. Mark has pointed out that we have already de-facto picked ROOT as the provider of these services, despite the fact that typedef'ed proxies are actually referenced in the code. CLHEP is another candidate for this function; it is used by GEANT4. The consensus was that an official stance on the issue was not necessary. As code that uses other packages (CLHEP in particular) is introduced, then the new service packages can be required as auxiliary software if the case is compelling.

New Action Items

  1. Add comments to sim-recon release page. -> Mark
  2. Announce field-uniformity GlueX note. -> Simon
  3. Give a plug-in tutorial to the group -> David
  4. Release JANA 0.6.2 -> David
  5. Put old action items into MantisBT. -> Sascha
  6. Bring up DAQ software release method at an online meeting. -> Elliott
  7. Configure MantisBT for real use. -> Elliott