GlueX Start Counter Meeting, November 18, 2010

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Location, Time

Thursday, November 18, 2010
3:30 pm EST
JLab: CEBAF Center, Room F326/7
Conference Group: 800-377-8846, participant code: 77438230
ESNet: 8542553
EVO: direct meeting link, phone bridge ID: 7 7569
Slides: talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2010-11 on the JLab CUE (you have to be a member of the "halld" group). This directory is accessible from the web at .


  1. Announcements
    1. Breaking up the PID meeting: Mark
  2. Start Counter Status: Werner
  3. MOU plans: all


  • FIU: Werner Boeglin
  • JLab: Lei Guo, Mark Ito (chair), Simon Taylor


This was the first dedicated Start Counter Meeting, as announced earlier. Nominally we will meet every other Thursday at 3:30 pm.

Prototype Status

Werner and Lei reported on several items.

  • Werner is leaning toward read-out with SiPM's, especially in light of the decision to go ahead and use them on the BCAL.
    • We need to check that the radiation dose upstream of the target but close to the beam line is operationally acceptable.
    • Werner has one at FIU to look at.
  • New scintillator material has arrived at FIU.
    • Light output of the new counters will be evaluated with the SiPM.
  • Bending studies are proceeding. The plan is to measure light output before and after bending on an older 5 mm counter.
  • Student manpower
    • Eric Pooser: graduate student, working on prototype hardware studies
    • New undergrad hired, learning polishing, light output measurement procedure
  • Lei is talking to the company that is making the light guides for the central TOF of CLAS12. They are in the acrylic furniture making business. They were originally contacted by Vitale Baturin. It looks like they can do the polishing of the scintillator for us.
  • Lei is also trying to find some samples of ESR wrapping material, so far without success. He and Werner will contact Paul Eugenio on this.


Werner feels that we are close to a stage where we should start working on the construction MOU between FIU and JLab, especially if we decide on the photo-detector. Mark will send him some samples of recent MOU.