JEF meeting, May 31, 2019
Meeting time and location= 1:00 pm EST (JLab time) F228
We are using BlueJeans Video/Audio conferencing. Our meeting ID number is 370588741. Click "Expand" for more details.
- Make sure you have created a BlueJeans account via your JLab CUE account using this link:
- http://jlab.bluejeans.com (You should only need to do this once)
- If connecting via Web Browser: click this link (no passcode is needed):
- If connecting via Phone: Dial one of the following numbers and then enter the meeting ID above and hit "#" or "##"
- Dial: 1 888 240 2560 (US or Canada only)
- or, List of International Numbers
- If connecting via Polycom unit:
- Dial 184.108.40.206 or bjn.vc
- Enter meeting ID above
Attendees: Josh C., Liping G., Zisis P., Sasha S., Simon T.
- Update on contract with Shanghai Ceramics Institute: JLab in the process of procuring 500 crystals
- Anticipated delivery: November'19-January'20
- Liping plans to visit the institute in August, possibly Sasha will join? Idea is to go over specs and QA.
- Would be nice to identify Chinese collaborators to help out with this.
- JLab also procuring 64 crystals from Czech republic supplier (these are supposed to be more rad hard than the Chinese crystals).
- First goal for summer work: finish magnetic shielding design for PMTs
- Set thickness, length, position of mu-metal with respect to the face of the iron, etc.
- Tests with magnetic field are about to start -- Helmholtz coils, Hall probe, LEDs all in hand for tests.
- Will be using 3x3 prototype
- Second goal for summer work: finalize PMT base design
- Base divide/amplifier prototype design from V. Popov had too high amplification of 25 requiring operation of HV far below Hamamatsu recommendation
- Fernando B. confirmed linearity issues observed by Sasha
- Studies suggest 3x amplification is more suited to our application
- LED setup is available for studying linearity for modified base designs
- Want to be ready by the fall in order to do studies with beam
- Issues with brazing of brass straps leading to breakage after some time have been observed, possibly due to corrosion?
- Possible alternate brazing compound has been identified -- Josh will perform some tests.
- Light guides will be needed to couple between crystal and PMT faces
- Length will be about 3.5 cm, material likely to be acrylic, possibly glass if rad hardness is an issue?
- Method of coupling needs to be decided (glue? cookies? RTV?)
- Frame design for full FCAL-II in progress
- Second slit in shielding downstream of PS in Hall-D is in the works.
- Beam hole sized needs to be optimized (2x2 crystals? 3x3 crystals?)
- Need to identify "clean" space for crystal work