JEF meeting, September 8, 2017
Meeting time and location= 10:30 EST (JLab time) CC-L207
We are using BlueJeans Video/Audio conferencing. Our meeting ID number is 370588741. Click "Expand" for more details.
- Make sure you have created a BlueJeans account via your JLab CUE account using this link:
- http://jlab.bluejeans.com (You should only need to do this once)
- If connecting via Web Browser: click this link (no passcode is needed):
- If connecting via Phone: Dial one of the following numbers and then enter the meeting ID above and hit "#" or "##"
- Dial: 1 888 240 2560 (US or Canada only)
- or, List of International Numbers
- If connecting via Polycom unit:
- Dial 126.96.36.199 or bjn.vc
- Enter meeting ID above
- CompCAL/FCAL II strategy
Attendees: Eugene C., Liping G., Alex S., Simon T.
- We discussed two main options for proceeding:
- Build FCAL-II insert "from scratch"
- Worst case scenario is that we would have to find funding for purchasing ~2500 lead tungstate crystals.
- Disassembling and reassembling FCAL with the new crystals is a major undertaking: need cost/manpower/time estimates
- It may be possible to use Hall C crystals after they are done with them, but this is very uncertain.
- It is unlikely we will be able to use the existing HyCAL (except maybe as-is for the eta-Primakoff experiment); Eugene has contacted Ashot, no word yet.
- Recycle CMS endcap crystals.
- The time frame for CMS to remove them and make them ready for other people to use may be ~5 years
- The crystals have suffered radiation damage and would need to be annealed.
- Due to their truncated pyramid shape, stacking is an issue that needs to be addressed.
- The dimensions are a bit larger than the lead tungstate insert solution we originally proposed, so the resolution would be a bit worse and needs to be studied.
- A suitable readout solution is needed: APDs? PMTs?
- Need to present scenarios to management (cost+time)