Jul 2, 2015 Calorimetry

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Video Conferencing Information

Meeting Time: 11 a.m.

  1. To join via a Web Browser, go to the page [1] https://bluejeans.com/907185247.
  2. To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: (bjn.vc) and enter the meeting ID: 907185247.
  3. To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 907185247.
    • US or Canada: +1 408 740 7256 or
    • US or Canada: +1 888 240 2560
  4. Upon connection all microphones are automatically muted. To unmute your mike on a Polycom or equivalent unit, enter *4. Unmuting on a computer is trivial as there is a microphone button than can be clicked.
  5. More information on connecting to bluejeans is available.

Participant Direct Lines

  • JLab Phone: in CC F326 is 757-269-6460 (usual room)
  • JLab Phone in CC L207 is 757-269-7084
  • Phone in the Regina Video-conference Suite is 306-585-4204
  • Athens Phone: in Christina's office is 011-30-210-727-6947

Action Items

  1. Keep events reporting z outside the BCAL physical boundaries in the "curvature" reconstruction (Tegan)
  2. Change BCAL and FCAL coordinates use the global coordinate system (not the target center). Action of this item is under discussion
  3. Understand BCAL efficiency estimates (cluster vs enhanced) for m7 and m8 data taking modes (Ahmed)
  4. Check with David L. regarding geometry inconsistencies noted by George (Elton) George completed work but will work with David on implementation


  1. FCAL HDFCAL log book
  2. BCAL HDBCAL log book
  3. BCAL Action Items and Working Tasks

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Action Items
  3. Summer plans
  4. FCAL Update
  5. BCAL Update
  6. Calorimetry F250 Firmware Discussions
  7. Reconstruction and Simulation
  8. Calibration
  9. Any other business
  10. Testing


Attendees: Manuel, Matt, Adesh, mark, Elton, Jon (JLab); Zisis, Tegan (UofR); George (Athens); Will, Mike, Curtis (CMU); Sean (NW)

  1. Announcements
    • We have been asked to accelerate the schedule for providing slides to Eugene in preparation for the S&T review.
  2. Action Items
  3. FCAL Update
    1. Pedestal studies (Manuel)
      • See Log Entry 3345115
      • LED data investigating resolution for various sum combinations
      • Mark: Would like to redo this studies for the BCAL. Manuel will send him his plugins.
    2. Pi0 calibration (Adesh)
      • See Log Entry 3345029
      • Plots pi0 mass as a function of the photon energies in 100 MeV bins.
      • Dependence of pi0 mass fit as a function of photon energy is fit to various parameterizations.
      • Data are used to understand FCAL non-linearities.
    3. Base firmware (Jon)
      • New firmware allows more reliable and stable determinations of the voltage and currents.
      • Firmware upgrades are complete.
      • Scripts are ready by need testing. Hovanes has found one bug and testing continues before final implementation.
  4. BCAL Update
    1. Waveforms (Elton)
      • See Log Entry 3345085
      • Shape of pulses differ somewhat between small and large pulses, in particular depth of dip after pulse. This fact needs to be considered as we work on firmware.
      • Mark: Will start looking at pedestals and related issues with the BCAL starting next week. Will start by duplicating Manuel's analysis for the BCAL.
    2. Pi0 calibration (Will)
      • Continues to optimize pi0 calibration by changing cuts on eigenvalues and initial gain factors
      • Small improvements are found, with updated widths at about 8.5 - 9 MeV
      • On shower fragmentation: asking for input on how best to move forward. This has been added to the action item list.
    3. Time calibrations (George)
      • Use cosmic-ray data.
      • Convergence of values for veff if there are selection cuts made on difference between z_cal - z_trk < 20 cm. This converges to about veff=17 cm/ns as expected. There is some concern about systematics from these selection cuts.
      • Checked that selections are not very biased relative to position along the BCAL, but data is not very uniform so it is difficult to draw strong conclusions.
  5. Calorimetry F250 Firmware Discussions
    • We have started discussions on the firmware bi-weekly. As questions are better defined, discussions will broaden to larger groups.
  6. Reconstruction and Simulation (Tegan)
    • Latest changes are checked in and will be used for spring simulation runs
    • Question: Should one change mcsmear to output digiits? David: Yes, this will allow gain factors to be treated in the same way in the real and simulated data.
    • Sean: Should be shower curvature data included by default into simulations? Tegan: At the moment no, although it is checked in it needs additional testing.
  7. Any other business
  8. Testing