March 8, 2013 PID Upgrade
Meeting Time and Place
Friday March 8, 2013 at 1:30pm At Jefferson Lab, the meeting will be held in F326
To connect from the outside, please use ESNET or SeeVogh
- ) ESNET: 8542553
- ) SeeVogh: A conference has been booked under "GlueX PID Upgrade" from 1:00pm until 3:00pm (EDT).
- ) To phone into an SeeVogh meeting, from the U.S. call (626) 395-2112 and then enter the EVO meeting code, 155025.
- ) To use the SeeVogh Java script use the SeeVogh link.
Cherenkov EM Backgrounds:
- Study of EM backgrounds in the forward gas threshold cherenkov
- Pileup EM interactions added in the bggen generator and MC trajectories traced to the detector volume
- Most background electrons at very forward angles (theta < 2) so this region was excluded
- 1 photoelectron threshold vetos ~99% of pions above 3 GeV (Question of what is PMT/electronics noise which may set the lower bound for the threshold, work on for next meeting)
- 21% of events have a background electron producing cherenkov light in the detector which causes some kaons to be misidentified, but simple to overcome with multiple segments
- Study of eta'(2300) and h'(2600) channels with reconstructed recoil proton compared to previous missing proton analysis
- Significant gains in both channels when the proton is reconstructed with up to S/B ~ 30, but efficiencies may be too low
- For the next 2 weeks the focus will be on completing the analysis of the four channels from last year's PAC proposal with larger statistics
- To study the case for the PID upgrade plan to apply John's toy model for the gas threshold detector to improve efficiency but maintain high purity
- Also discussed studying channels with neutrals or a recoil neutron where the impact of upgraded PID may be more significant