May 25, 2011 Tracking CDC/FDC
Meeting Time and Place
Wednesday May 25, 2011 at 11:00am At Jefferson Lab, the meeting will be held in F326
To connect from the outside, please use ESNET
- ) ESNET: 8542553
- )To connect by telephone, dial:
- You can look up toll-free number at http://www.readytalk.com/intl
- US and Canada: (866)740-1260 (toll free)
- International: (303)248-0285 (toll call)
- enter access code followed by the # sign: 3421244#
- FDC Update FDC logbook
- CDC Update
Participants: Curtis, Naomi, Eugene, Beni, Simon, Lubomir, Dave, Fernando, Elton
- Two cathodes are ready to be assembled in the first chamber. We used tinned rigid-flex assemblies (except at two places) because we had problems gluing the untinned ones. Before we made many untinned samples that worked fine. The pressing/heating tool was modified and we want to investigate the problem before continuing with the rigid-flex gluing. The techs are now working on cathodes 3,4, and 5.
- The wire frame for the first chamber is ready except that two wires have to be repaired. We were waiting for the pin rail that had to be modified for the second time. Now it was fixed and the positions of the pins as measured with CMM have 10u sigma deviation from the nominal (page 567 of the FDC logbook).
- Now most of the tolls and parts needed to assemble the first production chamber are ready. Today (and most likely tomorrow) we have AC problems, due to the same transformer, which delays the start of the chamber assembly.
- The straws were shipped from the UK last week and should arrive any day now.
- Most of the installed straight rows of straws have been strung, these are rows 1-4 and 13-14. Stringing has become a fast and efficient procedure but the technicians (Kait and Amy) need to take regular breaks (to refresh their eyesight etc). They have been practising measuring wire tension using the Helmholtz coils and the Schumacher wire tension unit; they have been repeatedly stringing a test jig and measuring the wire tension and are getting very consistent results. The coils have been cleaned ready to go into the clean room, Gary is building a support to suspend the coils from the ceiling so that they can be placed on either side of the CDC. At that point we will be ready to measure the tension in the wires already installed. After that the remaining straws and outer shell will be installed before any more stringing takes place.
- We have a full-time summer student Maddi, she has been trained in clean room procedures and has been checking and cleaning pin holders and making hook-up wires. The second student Rahul will start work in June, he has been trained in cutting straws and will be working half time on a separate physics project.
- Gary has been making a prototype including part swiss cheese plate and part endplate, complete with standoffs, to test hookup wiring.
- Naomi has been working on CDC prototype timing using Gerard's interpolation algorithm, this looks very promising, it is still a work in progess at present.
- Fernando should have the prototype transition boards for the CDC at JLab in a few days time, he will send some to CMU for Gary to test ease of soldering. He will also have an HVB which he will send to Naomi to test with the CDC prototype.
- Fernando needs to know by the end of June whether the FDC team prefer to use TDCs or the fADC, there was some discussion.