May 6, 2009 Software

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


The meeting will be at 14:00pm in Cebaf Center F326.


To connect by telephone:

  1. dial:
    • 800-377-8846 : US
    • 888-276-7715 : Canada
    • 302-709-8424 : International
  2. enter participant code: 39527048# (remember the "#")

Video Conferencing

We will attempt an ESNET connection with bridge to EVO for this meeting.



Present: Mark Ito (chair), Simon Taylor, Jim Stewart, Sasha Somov, Beni Zihlmann, Eugene Chudakov

Review of Minutes of April 22 Meeting

We generated a list of work items at the last meeting. If folks have more ideas please send them to Mark.

Cerenkov in the Default Geometry

We discussed the fact, recently pointed out by Sascha, that we have a full Cerenkov detector in the default version of the detector geometry. Beni recalled for us that when the Cerenkov was de-scoped, there was a decision made to leave it in the Monte Carlo to act as a proxy for the material of some future particle ID detector. Now that we know the initial version of the detector will not have such a device, we agreed it was better to drop it in the default geometry. It could be restored for special studies trivially (i. e., uncomment to restore). Sascha will make the change.

New Monte Carlo Features

Sascha showed a slide describing features he has added recently to our Monte Carlo system:

  • FFREAD cards for controlling:
    • supression of events with no detector hits
    • EM shower generation in the beam collimator
  • Adding start counter truth information to the data model
  • Adding a command-line option to genr8_2_hddm to allow a range for the z-vertex position

Sascha mentioned that this last feature could be added for the particle gun as a new FFREAD card. We agreed that this is a worthwhile project for him.

Next we got into a discussion on documentation. Several folks thought that we should have semi-formal manuals for key programs/systems in software. We agreed to discuss this further at some future meeting.

CDC Geometry Change in Monte Carlo

Beni described his recent work to bring the simulation into registration with the plans for construction. See his wiki page for details. Note that this page links to a few drawings of the current geometry.

There was a question about the thickness of aluminum in the straws and how it compares with reality. Beni will look into this.

Generating Data Model Code during Builds

We went back to this topic, originally discussed at the March 11, 2009 Software meeting. Mark reviewed the arguments and reported on recent discussions with Richard Jones. See his wiki page for details. We decided to have the HDDM template file, namely event.xml, act as the authoritative and have all related files derived from it. In this scheme there is no need to use the Xalan package, as long as the XML schema is not required. Other components of our software do not depend on the schema at present.