FDC Weekly Meeting
Date: March 11, 2010
Participants: Daniel, Simon, Beni, Lubomir, Bill, Fernando, Eugene, Mark S., Casey
Next Meeting: March 18, 2010
- Lubomir will now take over the running and organizing and minutes for the FDC group meeting.
Preparations for FDC Construction
- Update on EEL 126 space: Some turbulence was met in getting the promised 10 ft of space. Stay tuned. - Update on plans for clean space: Lubomir has started to look into what we can purchase. Stay tuned. - Update on order of granite table: Lubomir and Bill are working on putting the order together for a 5-ft x 5-ft table (just like we have now). - Update on wire frame transport/storage boxes: Bill will take on this design. These boxes are needed by the end of this year or the beginning of the next. - Update on G10 order status: Bill will put together the production G10 order after he is satisfied with our new frame design. - Update on Rohacell order status: We may decide to order a new batch of Rohacell for the frame construction. If we do, the goal is to put this order out at the same time as the G10 order.
General Construction Updates
- The two-layer prototype continues under source tests in the cosmic ray test facility. The detector will be removed from the test stand for work on Monday to diagnose the HV problems before circuit board procurement. - The third wire/cathode layer is ready for testing pending availability of manpower. - We want to try putting the oxygen sensor in our system and measure the oxygen contamination on our input and output lines. Due to the worries about high input impedance of this device, we have some additional checking to do. We will test pending availability of manpower. - The preliminary FDC stack assembly document draft is located at: /u/group/halld/Engineering/PRELIMINARY DOCUMENTS. We will review this document in the coming weeks to update out-of-date or old procedures. - Fernando would like us to add the final version of the HV multi-pin connectors to the full-scale prototype. We will do this when the detector is taken apart. - Fernando needs us to finalize the wire and cathode naming conventions for the FDC. Lubomir is involved in this work.
Frame Modification Studies
- The dummy Kapton cathode has been laminated to its frame. The Mylar version did not adhere well and had to be scrapped. The plan is to use the aluminized mylar (our ground plane material) to simulate the second cathode plane. Work on this will continue next week pending availability of manpower. - Bill has put together a few slides showing the frame design changes. - The redesigned frame piece for the wire board is expected back from the shop shortly.
Wire Frame Update
- The wire frame construction document is located at: /u/group/halld/Engineering/PRELIMINARY DOCUMENTS. - The review of the FDC PCBs is now underway. Preliminary comments from DSC and Bill passed on to Fernando. He will complete his preliminary review in the next several days. We will send the boards to Keith for comments after initial questions are fully addressed. The plan is not to move forward with procurement until after inspection/diagnosis/repairs of the HV/current problems seen in the full-scale prototype. - DSC is finalizing the tension specifications for winding. It looks like the +/-5% spec is unnecessarily tight. Looks like +/-20% is full satisfactory, although we will likely put a +/-10% spec on the Phase 3 winding requirement.
- The current draft of the cathode construction document is located at: /u/group/halld/Engineering/PRELIMINARY DOCUMENTS. - The next rigid-flex design meeting will take place shortly. - Lubomir had a suggestion for the design list and will send it to DSC. - We would like to push to get the cathode board procurement started by the end of March. - David Lawrence is working to give us input on the hole size in the cathode center. Stay tuned.
- The current version of the full-scale prototype test plan is on the GlueX portal as (GlueX-doc-1304). - To connect the full-scale prototype to the readout electronics, Fernando is designing a simple translator board that allows connection from the 24-channel preamp connector to the 16-channel connectors on the ADCs and TDCs. These boards should be delivered in the next week. - The signal cables for the full-scale prototype have been made and are now being tested by Fernando's group. - Two layer test update: See the FDC Log Book for updates on the continuing work. - The delivery of the remainder of the preamp cards for the full-scale prototype will be in mid-March. - Fernando will pursue purchasing enough cathode ground boards for all six cathode planes for the full-scale prototype. - A while ago we focussed on the wiggles seen in the reconstructed wire position from the cathodes (see log entry 419) in the FDC logbook. We believe that the periodicity seen is due to the algorithm Beni is using to determine the U and V centroids. Stay tuned.
- The sense wire SEM checks are now complete and the wire sample reports have been posted on the FDC Reports Page. - The preliminary Phase 3 budget for the FDC wire winding has been provided to JLab. DSC and Eugene need to meet to go over the next steps in preparation of a contract and formal Statement of Work. - We provided the summer IUCF work plan that Bill prepared to IUCF and will work to arrange a phone conference in the next day or two with Keith Solberg to finalize the plan. He will then work to come up with a budget estimate for that work. Once we agree on a plan and a budget, work on preparing the contract and official SOW will commence. - The original document for the Phase 3 Preparation Work will be reviewed with IUCF shortly. - Master list on wire and cathode frame redesign work is located at: Frame Modification Work.
- The FDC short-term work list has been posted on the FDC web site. This is continually being updated and DSC welcomes any feedback or comments from the group.
Minutes prepared by Daniel. Send any comments or corrections along.