FDC Weekly Meeting
Date: May 30, 2007
Participants: Daniel, Simon, Brian, Kim, Roger, Fernando
Next Meeting: Wednesday, June 6, 2007 @ 1:30 p.m.
New Prototype Cathodes
- We are awaiting word from CCT (June 4 deadline) about whether they can produce our cathode boards. In the mean time, Brian is pursuing leads (old and new) about other companies that can produce these boards (whether they be 1 piece, 2 pieces, or 3 pieces).
- Kim has spent some time working on the STB layout. We discussed design decisions to maximize the space between board area at HV and board areas at ground. - We also discussed the idea of comformally coating the board after the components are mounted. - Kim has assumed a two-layer board so far (with 3 STBs and 3 HVTBs) and has been working on lay out from the solder pads to the resistors. Still work to do to lay out the traces from the resistors to the connectors to see how much real estate this will all take up. The nominal design is a four-layer board. - Kim still has to layout the busses for the daughter board (power, threshold voltage, etc). - Kim was also asked to make the solders pads for the sense wires shorter than for the field wires as suggested by Karen Kephart for easier visual checks. - Fernando provided an update on the HVPF boards. He actually talked to the person who invented the material/process who is affiliated with Sierra. The material is actually a composite of Kapton with a film material. He stated that this is indeed a real board material and in fact Hall B appears to have a board in hand (or will soon) for testing. We agreed that this is a board material that we would like to study via a prototype for our HVTBs and STBs.
FDC CD-2 Document
- No progress on the Monte Carlo in the past week. DSC talked with David Lawrence after the meeting and he will talk to Elke regarding priorities and what is definitely needed for CD-2. If this is rated high enough priority, he can try to modify the GEANT geometry files to perform the momentum resolution studies. Richard Jones is delayed on preparing the geometry files due to some personal issues.
Magnetic Field Tests
- DSC contacted folks at IUCF, they have nothing usable at the current time. Simon will talk to Bogdan in Hall A to get a commitment for their small silicon detectors as a backup plan. Brian will contact BNL and FNAL to see what they may have available. Brian will also talk to Elke to see if she has any suggestions for contacts in Germany.
- Simon will talk to Paul Brindza regarding magnetic fields and carbon fiber. Should we work to eliminate the carbon fiber in our frames for worries about a magnet quench?
- No work in this area. Brian and Simon will begin looking for lower density Rohacell (or other foam materials) that can be used in a foam composite with our existing flat surface HF Rohacell as a possible cathode backing.
- The FDC short-term work list has been posted on the FDC web site (see http://www.jlab.org/Hall-D/detector/fdc/). This is continually being updated and DSC welcomes any feedback or comments from the group.
Minutes prepared by Daniel. Send any comments or corrections along.