OWG Meeting 08-Apr-2015

From GlueXWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Location and Time

Room: CC F326-327

Time: 1:30pm-2:30pm


(if problems, call phone in conference room: 757-269-6460)

  1. To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: (bjn.vc) and enter the meeting ID: 120390084.
  2. To join via a Web Browser, go to the page https://bluejeans.com/120390084.
  3. To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 120390084
    • US or Canada: +1 408 740 7256 or
    • US or Canada: +1 888 240 2560
  4. More information on connecting to bluejeans is available.


  1. Announcements
    • gluon46 reboots
  2. Collaboration Meeting
  3. Policies for Using Online Directories and Accounts
  4. Automated logbook entries (example)
  5. Major systems reports
    • Trigger
    • DAQ
    • Monitoring
    • Controls

Previous Meeting


Attendees: David L., Bryan M., William G., Sean D., Carl T., Dave A., Serguei P., Vardan G., Sergey F., Alex B., Alex S., Beni Z.


  • gluon46 crashes
    • Dave A. found a configuration setting for the IB driver that was different than for other nodes. He changed this, but the node crashed again with 12 hours. It has not crashed since then however.
    • Dave A. mentioned that when he spoke with Paul L. about it, Paul suggested it could be RAM. David L. noted that one of the nodes had its RAM replaced last summer while trying to track down another problem. It could be that this was the machine and the RAM is still there. This will be investigated.

Collaboration Meeting

  • The schedule for the May collaboration meeting has been filled out with the same speakers and topics as the last one.
  • There was some discussion about where a discussion of the fADC125 module and firmware would fit in.
    • Sergey F. will mention the status of running/testing the patched version of the firmware currently deployed during the DAQ talk
    • We will ask Naomi to show a slide on the status of the next generation firmware development during the tracking session
    • We will likely have a dedicated talk on the fADC125 during the following collaboration meeting in October.

Policies for Using Online Directories and Accounts

  • The policy has been revised to better reflect currently running systems and accounts. David will send out a link to it asking people

to review and comment so that it may be voted on at the next online meeting.

  • Dissent was voiced.
    • Dissent against the Dissent was voiced.
      • This went back and forth for a while until everyone just gave up and moved on to the next topic...

Automated E-log Entries

  • A request was received to implement automated logbook entries whenever a run is started that contains some basic conditions and configuration information
  • Hall-A does this already, but it was suggested we develop our own scripts
  • There was consensus that we send these to a separate logbook (e.g. "HDRUN") so as not to clutter the "HDLOG" with these.
    • David will request that the new log be added.


  • Working on TOF trigger using playback mode and things seem to be working OK
  • An upgrade to the GTP firmware will be made that provides better ability for selecting different regions of BCAL/FCAL (Ben R.)
  • A new CODA test setup has been setup in EEL126 for the Polarimeter guys (Alex S.)
  • DAQ monitoring system is complete and ready for use. The TCP server is started automatically on each ROC via cron job and it ensures modules have a configuration that allows scalers to be read out, even after a reboot and without CODA being run.


  • Some improvements made that slow down the startup, but make the system much more reliable to start up
  • Multi-event block tested with all creates, including the FADC125, but without CAEN TDCs and it worked well (99.9% live time at 1kHz cosmic rate)
    • Two issues were found regarding the fADC125 in block mode
      1. initialization sequencing problem -- FIXED
      2. buffer level must be greater than 1 -- WORKED AROUND BY SETTING > 1
  • Updated RCDB was to be deployed this week but may need to wait until next week
  • rcm user interface improved
    • Still need to write up contents of help window (David). (n.b. CODA rcgui also has ability for user to call up help window)


  • Nothing to report


  • Nothing to report