PID July 2007 Notes
Summaries of talks presented at the workshop are available on the portal and/or linked from the agenda page on the Wiki. Below is a summary of action items/open questions from the workshop. Action items were grouped into several broad categories
- Complete analysis of the test beam data and present at October collaboration meeting. (Regina/Athens/Alex) Particular attention should be paid to:
- understanding the large floor term in the resolution that appears at high energy and forward angle.
- understanding the light output and attenuation length of the fibers for the sake of setting realistic thresholds in reconstruction.
- Demonstrate that SiPMs meet the necessary performance benchmarks. (Regina)
- Quantify the number of TDC channels needed in BCAL (Zisis)
- Explore the possibility of doing dE/dx in the BCAL (Zisis)
- Determine need for BCAL signal splitting and discriminators
- Examine the low energy threshold used for the FCAL in Monte Carlo (IU)
- Understand the effect of and method to deal with radiation damage in the FCAL (IU)
- Examine the gap between the BCAL and UPV. What is the impact of this hole in the acceptance? (Paul/Alex)
- What is the low energy threshold of the UPV? Is it acceptable? Will the detector function as a veto or a calorimeter, and how does this affect how one might optimize the design? (Paul)
- At the meeting a barrel PID working group was established. Elton will chair the group, the other members are Eugene, Beni, Mihajlo, Matt B. and Matt S. The chief goal of this working group will be to examine the need and possible solutions for barrel PID. The group should consider what effect detector material may have on BCAL low energy resolution and also examine the space budget between the CDC and the BCAL for such a detector.
- It was pointed out that while the forward (and barrel) ToF alone is probably not sufficient for identifying kaons, it may be sufficient for vetoing kaons to ensure high pion purity.
Full Monte Carlo
- Develop a method for incorporating Pythia-generated hadronic backgrounds into the simulation (Dave/Eugene) done!
- Examine the purity of all neutral events in the presence of hadronic backgrounds. Can final states like ηπ0 be cleanly identified? How much do kinematics fits help to select these topologies? (Matt/Matt/Mihajlo)
- How well can K*Kn be distinguished from πππn on the basis of a kinematic fit alone? (Matt B.)
- Perform a toy amplitude analysis on γp→ηπ0p to understand impact of FCAL/BCAL acceptance in amplitude analysis (Matt/Matt/Mihajlo)
- Modify geometry description to reflect most recent design which includes changes to: (Richard/Dave)
- CDC endplate and inner radius
- start counter
- Cherenkov snout