Feb 9, 2017 Calorimeter

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 13:01, 9 February 2017 by Elton (Talk | contribs) (Minutes)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Video Conferencing Information

Meeting Time: 10:00 a.m.

  1. To join via a Web Browser, go to the page [1] https://bluejeans.com/907185247.
  2. To join via Polycom room system go to the IP Address: (bjn.vc) and enter the meeting ID: 907185247.
  3. To join via phone, use one of the following numbers and the Conference ID: 907185247.
    • US or Canada: +1 408 740 7256 or
    • US or Canada: +1 888 240 2560
  4. Upon connection all microphones are automatically muted. To unmute your mike on a Polycom or equivalent unit, enter *4. Unmuting on a computer is trivial as there is a microphone button than can be clicked.
  5. More information on connecting to bluejeans is available.

Participant Direct Lines

  • JLab Phone in CC L207 is 757-269-7084 (usual room)
  • JLab Phone: in CC F326 is 757-269-6460
  • Phone in the Regina Video-conference Suite is 306-585-4204
  • Athens Phone: in Christina's office is 011-30-210-727-6947

Action Items

  1. Will and Sean: investigate strange time outputs for BCAL times (cutoff of negative times in TDC, large offsets in ADC) in the Geant/mcsmear.
  2. Elton: check on new pedestal information in data stream.
  3. Marc: Check on "LED noise" on four ADC/TDC channels.


  1. FCAL HDFCAL log book
  2. BCAL HDBCAL log book
  3. BCAL Action Items and Working Tasks

Tentative Agenda

  1. Announcements
  2. Collaboration Meeting
    • Please focus the talks on performance, calibration status and Monte Carlo agreement with data.
  3. Action Items
  4. Run preparations
  5. FCAL update
  6. BCAL update
  7. Calibrations
    1. Comparing Spring 2016 and Fall 2016 point calibrations - George
    2. Shifted channels - George
    3. CCDB updates - Sean
  8. Reconstruction and Simulation
  9. NIM articles
  10. Any other business


Attendees: Elton, Adesh, Jon (JLab); George (Athens); Will (CMU); Ahmed, Tegan, Andrei, Zisis (UofR)

  1. Announcements
  2. Collaboration Meeting
    • Please focus the talks on performance, calibration status and Monte Carlo agreement with data.
    • Jon and Elton will give the updates
  3. Action Items
    • Completed
  4. Run preparations
    • See discussion at Run Coordinator meetings.
    • Updates in the pedestal file has eliminated "hot" channel in the BCAL FADC See Log Entry 3456973
    • Fcal has a dozen problem bases. Probably half are failed bases. Next opening is Tuesday an bases will be swapped out as needed. One hot channel has been masked in the trigger.
    • There are about 50 spare bases. About 0.7 bases have failed per day since last November. Chris is repairing about 10 bases/week.
  5. FCAL update
    • Recent file has been checked for pi0 peak. Mass is at correct value and width is about 7.5 MeV. More detailed calibrations will be made once skim files are available.
  6. BCAL update
  7. Calibrations
    1. The pi0 peak width has been found to be consistently wide since last fall. Mark noted that the z coordinate in BCAL was poorly calibrated. This has been further investigated by George and Sean
    2. Comparing Spring 2016 and Fall 2016 point calibrations - George
    3. Shifted channels - George
      • Revisiting z_point calibration. Shows that there has been a significant shift of the offset (p0 parameter) for about a third of the channels from about 210 down to 185.
      • Preliminary numbers from a single run are available. Sean: Suggest to upload these values with a restricted run range for the fall so they will not affect the 2017 data. Sean and George will coordinate offline on how best to to this.
      • Once a good set of 2016 constants are obtained, they will be checked against 2017 files.
      • Sean: Is it important to use TGraph instead of TH2? This will save space.
    4. CCDB updates - Sean
      • Added preliminary values for the 2017 run (run numbers > 30000).
      • Ran a quick check on the pi0 monitoring plots. Global z coordinate is much better aligned now.
      • Preliminary values have been entered and show a large improvement in the pi0 width. Down from 15-20 MeV -> 10 MeV.
      • Sean hopes to submit jobs to obtain the skim files this afternoon. This will include preliminary calibrations for 2017.
      • Sean will talk to Mark about new attenuation length and up/down gain values.
      • Will is poised to start the gain matching procedure once the skim files are available.
    5. Log Entry 3456920 - Elton comparison of previous calibration to preliminary values from George.
      • Constants show the two-peaked structure described by George. The two values are distributed uniformly across the calorimeter with no clear pattern.
      • It is still a mystery why timing has changed dramatically for a large number of channels.
      • We believe that all timing uses the FADCs only, but should be checked that TDCs are not confusing the issue. George is only using FADC times. Sean plotted the z coordinates coming from the BCAL plugin.
      • The FADC channels for both upstream and downstream go into the same FADC, so it is strange that timing could be shifted between them.
  8. Reconstruction and Simulation
  9. NIM articles
    1. BCAL (Zisis)
      • Added sections on construction, LED system, Michel electron calibration.
      • Latex draft given to George Lolos for feedback,
      • Will upload to git after updates from George.
    2. FCAL (Matt and Adesh)
      • Preliminary outline is available. Plan is to have a paper separate from BCAL.
  10. Any other business