GlueX Offline Meeting, March 23, 2010

From GlueXWiki
Revision as of 23:31, 31 March 2015 by Marki (Talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "www/halldweb1/" to "www/halldweb/")

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

GlueX Offline Meeting
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
2:00 pm EDT
JLab: CEBAF Center F326/7


To connect by telephone:

  1. dial:
    • 800-377-8846 : US
    • 888-276-7715 : Canada
    • 302-709-8424 : International
  2. enter participant code: 77438230# (remember the "#")

Video Conferencing

A) ESNet: 8542553
B) EVO: direct meeting link


Talks can be deposited in the directory /group/halld/www/halldweb/html/talks/2010-03 on the JLab CUE (you have to be a member of the "halld" Unix group). This directory is accessible from the web at .

Reference Material

Material on Splitoffs


  1. Announcements
    1. New src release, release-2010-03-10: Mark
    2. New JANA release, version 0.6.1: David
    3. src -> sim-recon transition made: Mark, Beni
    4. BMS change: binaries depend on libraries: Mark
    5. Partial wave analysis, initial contacts: Craig
  2. Review of minutes from the last meeting: all
  3. Versioning of Calibration Constants: Mark
  4. Clustering in the Calorimeters: FCAL clustering Mihajlo
  5. Material on Splitoffs: Curtis
  6. Filtering events from bggen: all
  7. Pointers to cathode clusters in FDC pseudopoints: Mark
  8. Documentation Structure: Mark
  9. Action Item Review: all


IU: Mihajlo Kornicer, Ryan Mitchell, Matt Shepherd, Claire Tarbert
JLab: Craig Bookwalter, Mark Ito (chair), David Lawrence, Yi Qiang, Sascha Somov, Simon Taylor, Elliott Wolin, Beni Zihlmann


  • New src release, release-2010-03-10: Mark asked if anyone has had problems. None were reported.
  • New JANA release, version 0.6.1: David told that some changes in this release were prompted by Elliott's work on the DANA-to-EVIO conversion packages. JANADOT (gives times spent in factories) has improved significicantly as well. Mark suggested some documentation on how to generate the JANADOT report. Elliott suggested a new release so he can access pre-built versions using this version.
  • src -> sim-recon transition made: Mark noted that the change has been made. No problems were reported by the assembled. Beni has been working on updating documentation.
  • BMS change: binaries depend on libraries: Mark mentioned the recent change made to the binary making makefile (Makefile.bin). Now binaries should automatically be remade when libraries, upon which they depend, have changed. The should largely remove the need for invoking make with the "relink" target.
  • Partial wave analysis, initial contacts: Craig has been in contact with Matt and Curtis on this. Discussions are on-going. Matt and Craig agreed to get together to get Craig going with the IU PWA code.

Review of minutes from the last meeting

We went over them. Elliott volunteered to check-out and run Dave Heddle's GlueX event display. He also mentioned that a summer student may be working on this.

Versioning of Calibration Constants

Mark reviewed the interim scheme (link above) that has been implemented. Elliott made a suggestion involving a service-oriented architecture. Details were not clear to the secretary.

FCAL clustering

See Mihajlo's slides (link above) for details. There is NIM paper written on this subject. We agreed that the paper should be linked from the FCAL detector page.

Matt pointed out that the approach Mihajlo described is oriented toward electromagnetic showers. It might not work well for hadrons that interact.

David told us that currently the extra photons are coming mainly from the BCAL. Matt reminded us that BCAL reconstruction was taken over from KLOE code. We do not have a GlueX "owner" for this code. A GlueX Note does exist on this subject.

Material on Splitoffs

We peeked at the page of collected references (link above) from Curtis and Matt. David has attempted the Dolby thing. This is work in progress.

Pointers to cathode clusters in FDC pseudopoints

Mark discovered recently that these are not in the DFDCPsuedo class. Simon volunteered to put them in.

Documentation Structure

Mark outlined some ideas about documenting our software (see link above). The overall question is whether we should have a formal policy about documentation and if so, what should be in it. We had a discussion:

  • Beni pointed out that documentation can also be put into code as comments, and can be extensive.
  • Matt thought that Notes should include the definitions of external, tunable parameters as well as describing algorithms.
  • Mark will likely make a proposal to the group at a future meeting.

New Action Items

  1. Document on JANADOT -> David
  2. "RedHat 5.3" link to "CentOS" for JLab builds -> Mark
  3. Check-out and run ded. -> Elliott
  4. Provide description of SOA for calibration constant versioning for the minutes. -> Elliott
  5. Link the FCAL algorithm NIM article from the FCAL page. -> Mihajlo
  6. Find an "owner" for the BCAL reconstruction code -> Mark, Matt
  7. Schedule a discussion of filtering events from bggen.
  8. Put pointers to cathode clusters in the DFDCPseudo class. -> Simon
  9. Re-raise the issue of a documentation policy at a future meeting. -> Mark